CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 05-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Nigel Keane

Profile:
Post CrossFitters at Al Udeid, Qatar?

I'm going to be deploying to Al Udeid Air Base Qatar, June 1 - August 20 2009. Are there any CrossFitters at the base that will be interested in training?

BACKGROUND:
Former coach at CrossFit Cherry Point, currently coaching at Lowcountry CrossFit (www.lowcountrycrossfit.blogspot.com).

CF Level 1 Certified
CF Basic Barbell Certified
CF Gymnastics Certified
Old 05-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
Joseph L. Roberts

Profile:
Re: CrossFitters at Al Udeid, Qatar?

I can drop you some names of people that would be good contact that go back and forth from there to the US quite a bit. If also interested, there's an american ran Qatar BJJ nearby as well.

Defintitley get hold of ARCENT/MWR over there. There was an Officer when I was there last year that got a lot of support to get CF type gear in order to re-fit some other gyms over there as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Sunny Norwood

Profile:

I'm interested!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
John Ramsey

Profile:

I'm always looking for CF'ers when I head out to the Deid. I usually spend only a few days here at a time, but will be doing 120 here in the fall. I rarely see anyone doing CF. The new gym (BPC area) has some gear, but it's a little too globo and the old one (Coalition Compound) is way too small and packed. The only C2 I have found is in the aerobics room of the old gym. It drives me nuts that there are tiny FOB's with an awesome setup and the major AF base in the Middle East can't get it together. I'll be keeping up with this thread before I head out there. Plan on bringing my rings and some other stuff and would love to gather up with some other folks.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Sunny Norwood

Profile:

When are you getting in? I'm here right now. I highly recommend rings, I'm actually thinking of ordering some but I'm not sure our place can support rings. It can't even support kipping pull-ups. You're right, there isn't much of a setup to do CF in any of the gyms. I've been doing chippers with my crew at our work site. It sucks to use a rectangular crossbeam as a pull-up bar, but what else can you do?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Nigel Keane

Profile:

All, sorry for the late response!

Joseph, if you could pass along that contact information to my personal (njkeane@gmail.com), I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm also interested in BJJ too, I have my blue belt.

John & Sunny, my orders were delayed. I am slated to head over there June 15. I'll be bringing a pair of Rogue Rings. After CrossFitting in globo gyms for several years before becoming a coach at Cherry Point and Lowcountry, I am damn inventive with what little is available; as long as we have a pull-up bar, pair of rings, a barbell, and weight we're in business. Let's exchange contact information and hit some CrossFit!

Last edited by Nigel Keane : 06-03-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
John Ramsey

Profile:

Nigel,
I'm in. I'm bringing my Rogue Rings with as well. Went to the new gym last week while I was in town for a quick stop and took inventory.

Med balls (However, they had signs saying not to throw them at the wall?)
KBs
Lifting platform (no bumpers, but I did power cleans and dumped them. It was loud, but nobody said anything)
Pull up bars (one rickety tower and one sturdy power rack)
Old gym has a C2, but the new one has an unusable cheap little rower.... (need to get this remedied somehow!)

Think that about covers it. I'll also have my always handy jump rope and think I'll get an AbMat. Have been in Chucktown for about a month and have been strictly garaging it up. How's the affiliate? I'm in the NChar area, so MtP isn't super convenient for me...

Email me at johnramz@yahoo.com so we can ensure we do some work!

Last edited by John Ramsey : 06-14-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-20-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Sunny Norwood

Profile:

You talking about the BPC gym? I'm not at the Better People's Complex, but I've been making due with a jump rope and pull up bar at work. We can't do wall ball shots at work either. If more people make it to the gyms to crossfit, I'd be willing to give the gym a chance.

Looking for something to use for weights. Before anyone says anything - no, we do not have ammo cans and yes they are hard to come by on this end. If you have any, please send them our way.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Nigel Keane

Profile:

All, the IA has been signed for Al Udeid. I should be moving from CAS to Al Udeid next week sometime. I'll be up for hitting the WODs with you guys! again, you can contact me via email: njkeane@gmail.com.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 AM   #10
Martin Pannabecker

Profile:

I would like to get in on this too. I fell off doing CF a while back Sept 08 was the last time and I want to get back into it!!!
I work here at the DEID at the CC Pool.
Anyways i know my way around the Deid I have been here for a little over a year now. That would be great if we could Crossfit The Deid!
Hope to hear from you soon.

pannabecker2@msn.com
global - martin.pannabecker.ctr@auab.afcent.af.mil

Last edited by Martin Pannabecker : 07-06-2009 at 12:41 AM.