CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
Joseph M. Napoli

Profile:
Proper Warmup for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Max Weight

My wife/training partner and I have been having some discussions on what constitutes a proper warmup for a max weight rep. My background prior to CrossFit was in the powerlifting arena. I explained to her that the only injury I had ever suffered was when I was late to the gym, played catchup with my partner and rushed up to 500lb squats and tore my quad.

Yesterday we were doing the squat workout and she did very little warmup and was at her 7 max weight attempts. By very little warmup I mean a few sets of 2-3 reps at a lighter weight. I did her warmup with her and by the time I got up to 455lbs., an easy weight for me, I was very uncomfortable, and left that at my max. I think 3-4 sets of 8-10 at a lower weight would have been far more beneficial. I know without a doubt had I warmed up better I could have easily hit the mid 500s as I do in the old fashioned conventional workouts all the time.

She already has a bad back and, as is par for the course needs to hear how to warm up properly to prevent injuries from someone other than me. (husband wife thing) In college I had her at a 315lb squat, so she knows how to do the movements well. My understanding is that max weight attempts during a CrossFit workout should only begin after a very thourough warmup routine.

If anyone could give me and her an explanation of a proper warmup it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Proper Warmup for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Max Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph M. Napoli View Post
My wife/training partner and I have been having some discussions on what constitutes a proper warmup for a max weight rep. My background prior to CrossFit was in the powerlifting arena. I explained to her that the only injury I had ever suffered was when I was late to the gym, played catchup with my partner and rushed up to 500lb squats and tore my quad.

Yesterday we were doing the squat workout and she did very little warmup and was at her 7 max weight attempts. By very little warmup I mean a few sets of 2-3 reps at a lighter weight. I did her warmup with her and by the time I got up to 455lbs., an easy weight for me, I was very uncomfortable, and left that at my max. I think 3-4 sets of 8-10 at a lower weight would have been far more beneficial. I know without a doubt had I warmed up better I could have easily hit the mid 500s as I do in the old fashioned conventional workouts all the time.

She already has a bad back and, as is par for the course needs to hear how to warm up properly to prevent injuries from someone other than me. (husband wife thing) In college I had her at a 315lb squat, so she knows how to do the movements well. My understanding is that max weight attempts during a CrossFit workout should only begin after a very thourough warmup routine.

If anyone could give me and her an explanation of a proper warmup it would be greatly appreciated.
Take time with the warmups! And 315# sq for a woman is outstanding!!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Proper Warmup for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 Max Weight

Er, shouldn't you know how to design a proper warmup from those years of PLing? o_O

1x8 45 lbs
1x6 135 lbs
1x5 225 lbs
1x4 315 lbs
1x2 405 lbs
1x1 435 lbs (1s start here)

Then just work your way up to max/PRs by the 3rd or 4th rep.

Generally 3-4 warm up sets are fairly good. Space them out as needed starting out with 'higher' reps with the lighter weight and going down in reps as you get heavier.

If you don't feel warmed up feel free to do more as everyone is different!!!
^^^^ best thing you'll ever learn!