CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:
Re: Crossfitters in Sugarland or Katy, TX

Thanks for reminding me about Tim Swords. I saw his name and pic on Matt & Pam's site a while back at one of the certs they attended. I really should meet up with him.

The kettlebell cert being here in town might be hard to pass up. If you are just looking to get your feet wet or get some pointers, there is also the kettlebell club over here in League City too. I've been to a few of their classes. Question after my first class: "So, what did you think?" Reply, "Well, I got a little lightheaded there a couple of times, so yeah, I had a great time."

As for the Crossfit Challenge, I was just debating over that. I went to check out the date, and details just now. Coach Rip is going to be one of the judges?!?! I'm there. I'm not one of the bigger guy's, so I'm not sure how I'll do, but it's for a good cause, and like you said, good networking.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #12
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Jeff,

Saw Carlos at CF Houston. He gave me a lot of tips to work on my pull ups. Neat space; they have a lot of stuff to do metcon WODs. Had a tough time with the slosh pipe. Heard that you have been doing WODs there. Must be nice since it's not that far; just off Interstate 45. It's a good 45 minutes drive. Maybe I'll meet everyone one day.

Train Hard, Eat Well & Enjoy Life!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

CrossFit Rice is where it's at. Okay, so we're not an actual affiliate. Okay, so our weight room is small and sucks. Okay, so there is no "we" and I'm the only person doing CF here.

Hmm. Maybe CrossFit Rice isn't where it's at. I wish I could go to CrossFit Houston more often, but I don't have the cash. Maybe I'll drop in for a workout this Saturday. Show the pack how a lone wolf gets things done.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:59 AM   #14
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Joe,

How does your kennel look like? Any olys, bumper plates, rings, KB's and pull up bars? You're not too far from me. CrossFit Rice sounds like a good name.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Um. I think you're underestimating how ill-equipped our weight room is. It's a small, stuffy room crowded with machines and no free barbells. There are 5 oly barbells, but they're used by 4 benches and the lone squat rack. Pull-ups can be done on the bar over the cable machine (hurts the hands), on the Gravitron (can't kip), or on handles on the top of the squat rack. No KBs, just pairs of dumbells at 5-lb increments. The only bumper plates are a couple of 20-kg wheels, but dropping a bar with them spooks the others and I don't want to be thrown out. There's only one (maaaybe two) area with enough room to do barbell work in, and even it's pretty cramped.

Ah, but our weight room for varsity athletes is great! You wouldn't happen to be a varsity athlete for Rice University, would you?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #16
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

Grace,

Their weekday workouts are a little out of my way/time schedule during the week. Normally I work out in my garage, but I may try to see them some more (probably on weekends) now that they have a new box, and more neat toys to play with. I would suggest trying to meet up at CFH this weekend, but I think the weather is supposed to get pretty nasty. If you or anyone else is up for it, though, I'm game.

-Jeff
Old 02-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Jeff,

I teach a boot camp class at Safety America Karate School on Saturdays at 8:30am. It sucks, I'll have to get one of my co-trainers to sub for me to meet up with fellow crossfitters one Saturday sometime. I'm already asking a trainer to help me out for March 1st so I can network over at Breakaway Speed for the Total CrossFit Challenge. I might enter as beginner or intermediate..not sure yet. Ooh, my traps, shoulders, lats and biceps hurt! Carlos had me do a godzillion of jumping pullups. OUCHIEE! Rest day commentaries at HQ is really bombarded today. Got 2 posted comments myself. That AllisonNYC chick is too hot! Rest days are always good for the mind at CF. Later.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cavazos View Post
CrossFit Rice is where it's at. Okay, so we're not an actual affiliate. Okay, so our weight room is small and sucks. Okay, so there is no "we" and I'm the only person doing CF here.

Hmm. Maybe CrossFit Rice isn't where it's at. I wish I could go to CrossFit Houston more often, but I don't have the cash. Maybe I'll drop in for a workout this Saturday. Show the pack how a lone wolf gets things done.
Crossfit Carlos's Garage Gym is where it's at. Okay so we're not an actual affiliate. Ok so my garage is small but it doesn't suck. Okay so there is no "we" and I'm the only person doing CF here. My workout partner is in NTC. Hey! this post sounds familiar
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #19
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Joe,
I'm not a varsity athlete at Rice University; wish I was. I graduated almost 2 decades ago from U of H. My thirteen year old son wants to go to Rice.
Back to the subject; where are the rest of the crossfitters in Houston. This is a huge city! I wear a crossfit shirt around Missouri City/Sugarland just to capture that one crossfitter amongst the crowd. Later, dude!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #20
Grace Patenaude

Profile:

Carlos,
You're funny!