CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 01-06-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
David Wood

Profile:

Re: London Crossfitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Williams View Post
In the absence of regular meets, here are a couple of gyms I'm looking at to perform CF. Anybody have recommendations?

http://www.jubileehallclubs.co.uk/jh...vent_intro.htm

Jason: I've trained at the Covent Garden location you linked to. It is one very sweet setup, with everything a CF-er could want in a big-box gym (including Kettlebells, rowers, etc.).

Seriously, it was pretty good. Pricey as heck, though . . . 10 pounds ($20) for a day pass. If you're living near enough to make it your regular gym, you'll have to figure a deal for something less.

The times I've been there, it seemed like almost half the people were using a personal trainer, but I was reasonably impressed . . . most were doing legit exercises (a lot of free weights in use), and no one looked down on me for doing my own thing independently, or tried to limit what I could do. I was polite enough not to drop any big weights, though (good practice at any new gym).

They were also running a "cardio blast" kind of class that was fairly impressive . . . almost a FGB, for forty minutes.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 AM   #22
Chris Barclay

Profile:

Nice one - didn't realise you were in with kempie.
WRt kit - yeah - it seems to always be a showstopper on the shipping. Bit of a bummer.
WRT - Muscle ups - haven't been at them in a while - seemed to lose my MU a while back and haven't been too worried about getting it back to be honest - been concentrating on other things (including my duaghter being born on the 12th dec!!!). It doesn't help that I can't really mount my rings high enough in my garage to get a good kip up.

Also started posting at funkey.co.uk too - seems like an early starter in the functional fitness arena for the uk. Davie E is also posting there.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #23
Cal Jones

Profile:

I'm SW London also. I train at the local authority gym in Balham, which is convenient. It's not bad and has a good selection of free weights and Oly bars etc plus rowers, but no pull-up bars (there are two gravitron-style machines instead) and no kettlebells. It's not bad though - it's served me well enough.
I have my own pull-up bar at home, so no probs there.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #24
Jason Williams

Profile:

Just a quick update. My wife and I ended up joining the Covent Garden gym and Jubilee hall, and we're doing our crossfit workouts at 6:45am most mornings, following the site. If anybody in the area is interested in joining us, we'd love to have you.

The gym seems to have everything we need for now, but we'd be happy to join someone for a more "serious" crossfit workout with real equipment (bumper plates, etc).

I had heard someone was trying to start up something near waterloo, did that ever happen?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #25
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Christ, that Soho gym looks like a jungle. Very complicated

Hi guys, I live in North East London, about a 20 minute bus ride to get straight into central london. I'm a member of Gymbox Holborn branch. Apart from the horrible music they play it's ok.

The free weights area is alright and quite large, you're allowed to squat, dead heavy without anyone bothering you, massive selection of dumb-bells(no KB's), one 'official' pull-up bar, although you can use the smith machine for pull ups and also part of another weird standing shoulder machine which i have to use for pull-ups sometimes. There's one dip station, one squat rack but also a very competant selection of boxing equipment(loads of bags of different varieties, speed ropes, and yes, a huge boxing ring). Almost forgot to mention about six concept 2 rowers.

It's nearly a serious gym, although naturally, as with any commercial gym, the weight machines, treadmills and odd skiing machines, cable stations and power plates outweigh everything else. But there is enough to improvise. You'd have to bring your own parralettes and rings(there is one place where you could hook your rings up, i doubt anyone would really bother you, as i've seen people do pull-ups on this). So that's it really. Price is reasonable in my view, 49 p/m for an off-peak membership(9am-12pm/2pm-4pm/8:30pm-11pm) and 59 for on-peak, although you really would not want to go there on-peak hours. Simply finding a bar-bell is hard enough, a WOD impossible.

However, i am currently looking or something else. I'm doing Starting Strength for 3 months, and then reverting back to the WOD's, and would really like a place where i can do them properly and with people who know what they are doing so that i can learn from them. Also, where it based centrally or near centrally. I haven't found anywhere yet, only the one in Mile End which doesn't suit my needs.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 AM   #26
Rollo Hilbery

Profile:

Also i'll be looking into spaces around london, god knows how much it'd cost though. It'd be great to have proper central london CF though and fill it with london CF'er's.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:03 AM   #27
Stephen A Hollingdale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Morjaria View Post

Well...it seems that there are a fair few of us that could meet and would like to meet.

What about setting a date where we all head over to Richards place so we can meet each other face to face, have a workout and a chat, and take it from there?

Would that be OK with you Richard?

What do you reckon guys?

Cheers

Chet
Just starting out on CrossFit (last couple of weeks) and really into it. I would be up for a meet-up at some point in the future (I am in Guildford, Surrey).

Right now I am working on setting up some training time at the West Sussex affiliate to learn the Olympic lifts correctly (hopefully right after Easter), and already booked a place on the CrossFit level I cert in Manchester in September.

Currently I train at the University of Surrey gym. Pretty good facilities for CrossFit and the free weights room is set up nicely for lifting. No dropping weights allowed, but other than that, pretty free attitude. Not like the local Globogym I was at (Esporta). There, serious lifting was frowned upon. Guess you are supposed to wander about aimlessly and just look the part. Ugh!

--
- Stephen
- Quis nos operor in vita refero in infinitio
- Si vis pacem para bellum

Last edited by Stephen A Hollingdale : 03-18-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #28
Colin McNulty

Profile:

I assume all you London Crossfitters will be coming to Manchester in Sept 08 for the the UK's first ever Crossfit Level 1 Certification?

https://www.regonline.com/builder/si...eventid=602855 WFS
Old 03-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #29
Stephen A Hollingdale

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McNulty View Post
I assume all you London Crossfitters will be coming to Manchester in Sept 08 for the the UK's first ever Crossfit Level 1 Certification?
I see the Manchester Certification is sold out already. How many spaces were there in the class?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 PM   #30
Stephen A Hollingdale

Profile:

Speaking of the Manchester Seminar; where are people staying on the Saturday? Is there a recommended hotel nearby, or is it just a case of sort something out?