CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Jacob Levin

Profile:
Hey guys,

My mom just finished going through chemo and radiation therapy for breast cancer, and as a result of how tired it's made her, she's put on a bit of weight. She's really eager to get it off, but the problem is that they had to take out the lymph nodes under her left arm.

The doctors are telling her that she can't lift more than fifteen pounds with that arm, or she'll have a flareup of lymphoma.

To add to the mix, she also has had two ACL reconstructions from old injuries.

So...my question is this - apart from swimming, which she does now, what sort of exercises could she be doing that wouldn't cause her more injury? Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with this before?
Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jacob,
The gland most sensitive to radiation is the thyroid. Proper iodine levels are protective of the thyroid against radiation damage (try Googling "SSKI radiation" if you'd like to investigate further). Iodine deficiency is also a likely culprit in causing much of the breast cancer we see today, so she's likely really low now (go to www.optimox.com w/f safe and click on the "Iodine Research" link for more info on that). I run an iodine sufficiency urine test if you/she is interested.

I know of two modalities that can work wonders with lymph issues:
Low Intensity (aka "cold") Laser Therapy, w/f safe www.meditech-bioflex.com
BodyTalk, w/f safe www.bodytalksystem.com

For general lymph movement, I typically suggest that people drink pau d'arco tea (it can be mixed with other teas for flavor) throughout the day.

Definitely suggest to her that she avoid the nightshades (tomato, potato, peppers, eggplant, paprika--search this board for more info or go to www.noarthritis.com).

VERY light rebounding (assuming she's cleared to walk), not even leaving the rebounder surface, may really help her. Just be really careful, make sure she has a rebounder with the bar she can hold onto for stability at the start.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Jacob Levin

Profile:
Thanks, Garrett. I'm sending her a link to this page so that she can research it herself.

And she can walk, thank God. :-)