CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Drew Smith

Profile:
I'm in search of a coach for nutrition/diet/performance

Greetings to the members of the CrossFit Forum..

I'm in search of a coach for assistance in nutrition/diet/performance.. I'm a 51 year old male that has been CrossFitting for the past two years and in need of some guidance to loss fat and focus my workouts/diet and nutritional intake to achieve this. Me, 51, 210-215lbs,BF 25-28% 5 9, CrossFit 3-5 times a week. I would say without a doubt my diet is fair at best and truthfully my workouts are somewhat unfocused on any specific goals. I'm sure your thinking that I might start with staff at our box, I'll be honest the staff are strict paleo of which in the two plus years Ive been there, we have had only two diet/lifestyle type challenges which were both paleo and very loosely managed. I wouldn't say applying more of the science of diet and nutrition is a strength here and that is what I need and I'm looking for. I'm open to working online, phone, email, etc to set up a program with someone and pay for assistance.. Many of you on this forum are very passionate, knowledgeable and proven with generating results, which is the type of person I would like to find for some guidance.

Best regards
Old 11-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: I'm in search of a coach for nutrition/diet/performance

The Renaissance Periodization seem to be getting pretty popular amongst CrossFitters and Weightlifters and Powerlifters.

http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...aissance-diet/

Sort of a teaser to their book. WFS.

http://renaissanceperiodization.com/...s-and-rates-2/ Their website. wfs

I know my buddy just sold his box but is still doing training and planning. Not sure if he does the online stuff or month to month but I'm sure like him there are a hundred other CrossFit Athlete/trainers that do something similar. He's definitely more CF oriented than something like a bias towards gymnastics or weightlifting, powerlifting, etc.

I know for instance Katie Hogan does diet and training that is along the lines of CF Conjugate style programming.

Not really sure what his prices are or if you would do something over online but I can find out if you want.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I know Iron Athlete/EastValleyCrossFit uses these people a lot in house for their athletes. My friends are on it and I've heard good things about their diet programs. Of course their training is probably more geared towards bodybuilding than CrossFit.

http://www.scottstrainingsystems.com/get_started.php wfs
Old 11-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Larry Bruce

Profile:

I hate when people change the subject but ... what have you tried doing on your own? Fat loss isn't rocket science or even science really - just 4th grade math at best. At 25% you are no where near it become a health or muscle loss concern. Nor are you elite with special performance concerns. I understand that having a coach can be comforting but it also can be someone who is there who can be the scapegoat in case of failure. If you don't take charge of it improvements will not persist.

What is your motivation and reason to do this at this point? To what extent is your diet determined by those around you? Do you have a long adult history of being your current size or have you fluctuated a lot? I suppose these are questions a coach might ask but ultimately things you have to answer and understand.

Honestly it's like St. Francis said in regards to changing those things you can, and working within your life, so what you do is sustainable. At the biggest loser everything is controlled unlike in the real world. Do you have reasonable goals?

Do you know your maintenance calories and are you willing to keep track of your food on a daily basis for a while? The single best thing I would say to do is to start is to use an online calorie tracker for a week, say at myfitnesspal.com or fitday.com. There are online support forums there as well that provide motivational support and can help you through "crises" that may arise. Places like these will provide all the technical information that is needed to lose fat weight.

You can send people money and perhaps that also makes it a more important endeavor to you. Or you can buy some nice clothes a size too small, as you at least get to wear the clothes after you reach your goal!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
Drew Smith

Profile:

Blair and Bruce,

Thank you both for responding to my post.. Like any go post on this forum great questions come out of the members here.. To share more detail to a few of Bruce's questions.. My interest in a person to assist is for many reasons, a bit more accountability in the short term to start and stay on track with a program, use someone expertise to assist in creating a program specific to me and also learn some of the education and logic behind their decision making... My goals are reasonable, lose 15 lbs roughly and focus on some performance issues, like pulls up and maybe a spartan type of race.. I understand and appreciate where your coming from, I think to get the proper direction a human touch will be of benefit .

Thanks again for feedback and thoughts.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Smith View Post
Blair and Bruce,

Thank you both for responding to my post.. Like any go post on this forum great questions come out of the members here.. To share more detail to a few of Bruce's questions.. My interest in a person to assist is for many reasons, a bit more accountability in the short term to start and stay on track with a program, use someone expertise to assist in creating a program specific to me and also learn some of the education and logic behind their decision making... My goals are reasonable, lose 15 lbs roughly and focus on some performance issues, like pulls up and maybe a spartan type of race.. I understand and appreciate where your coming from, I think to get the proper direction a human touch will be of benefit .

Thanks again for feedback and thoughts.
Drew, you don't need a program specific to you. With due respect you are not that unique. No one is. Start tracking your intake and expenditure and read what's available on the calorie tracker sites. Find one you like. Try to record right after meals as people will forget some items by the end of the day. Just eat normally as you like. Take your time and get a handle estimating the portion sizes and meal constituents even when not obvious. Do it for a week and report back for your next step, which will become obvious after looking at your intake.

Generally if you are going to be losing weight fairly quickly the rule of thumb is forget about improving performance. Just focus on maintaining strength. Strength training 2-3x a week is enough. Note that pull ups will get easier as you get lighter. If you train for a run you'll be able to burn extra calories which may or may not make you hungrier - in any case you want to eat back some of that for recovery.

Don't worry about what you eat right now, just track. That's as sciency as it gets.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:22 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Still doesn't solve the programming issue at hand.

I think the first step is to look through what available posted programming is out there that seems in line with your goals.

Still doesn't fix the authoritative figure to look up to though.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I agree when someone writes down what they are eating all day every day for a week it becomes real clear what is wrong with their diet 98% of the time for the average person.

Programming as Blair said can be done a ton of different ways. Finding some good programs online can be easy and yield solid results.

Having trained people privately there is a perk for them with a person on site but remotely usually has less to do with the program provided and more to do with the person lifting/working out.

Few things from my experience (that have already been said)

If you cannot control your food choices now how can you expect a person to help make you do it remotely?

What specific programming are you following now? How is this programming designed and what is the "goal" of this programming?

What are you wanting to spend per month for private coaching? How log are you planning on using said private coach? In what time frame do you expect the coaching to be "successful" to your desires outcome?

When you start to think about these things and look at them does the $$ being spent on it seem like a good return on value?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

I agree with what some of the others have said, losing weight isn't rocket science, it just takes dedication. Track your calories, make sure you are eating enough protein (1g per lb lean body mass to 1g per lb body weight is plenty), and cut your calories slowly until you start seeing desired weight loss. Don't try to lose more than one pound in a week and stay consistent with the amount that you eat per day.

You don't need super specific programming either because while you are losing weight you aren't going to be making performance gains. You might get better at things like pullups because you are lighter but you won't be adding muscle. Just make sure you are hitting the weights hard 3-4 times a week.

Also, if you are interested in the science behind things and want to learn more about nutrition and fat loss I would highly recommend you take a look at http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ (wfs). Lyle McDonald is known as an absolute expert in the field and he uses a science based approach rather than a fad diet approach to sell books. He offers an enormous amount of free articles that can teach you a ton about the subject and he explains things in a simple way that won't overwhelm you.

Last edited by Luke Sirakos : 11-18-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I will say Lyle's stuff is good and informative. Good reads.