CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #11
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Weight loss meal plan

Can you give a good reason as to why he shouldn't "calculate meals using calories" (I assume you mean actually count calories) and why he should lose the milk?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Nathan Emmert

Profile:

Milk is sneaky high in sugar and calories, even skim milk is 80 - 90 calories per cup. The Paleo crowd is also anti-dairy. There are a lot of people who believe dairy causes bloating and other issues and believe cutting it is a key to weight loss. Frankly, I like the calories in versus calories out method... but as others have said, you have to be absolutely committed to tracking everything. I won't go to the extent of buying a scale that weighs to the gram or anything, but you should do your best to record and quantify everything.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:03 PM   #13
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Emmert View Post
Milk is sneaky high in sugar and calories, even skim milk is 80 - 90 calories per cup. The Paleo crowd is also anti-dairy. There are a lot of people who believe dairy causes bloating and other issues and believe cutting it is a key to weight loss. Frankly, I like the calories in versus calories out method... but as others have said, you have to be absolutely committed to tracking everything. I won't go to the extent of buying a scale that weighs to the gram or anything, but you should do your best to record and quantify everything.
I would recommend a scale just for cooking purposes. Makes measuring ingredients so simple. I also love it for tracking calories, it makes eating consistent meals incredibly easy. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day so I just weigh it out as I go and I know without any trouble how much I am eating. Might take an additional 30 seconds.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #14
Nathan Emmert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
I would recommend a scale just for cooking purposes. Makes measuring ingredients so simple. I also love it for tracking calories, it makes eating consistent meals incredibly easy. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day so I just weigh it out as I go and I know without any trouble how much I am eating. Might take an additional 30 seconds.
I eat the same breakfast and lunch which are both low fat, low carb, high protein meals... allows me much more freedom at supper. I'm sure I could get more accurate with a scale but frankly +/- 100 calories isn't going to terribly affect things.