CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
William Mallow

Profile:
Weight loss meal plan

Ok, I would like advice/opinions on what my meal plan should look like. I'm a male, 39, 255#, 35% bf, which means my lean body mass is 165#. I'm working out at home(just started). I'm on a budget and love milk so I would prefer to not go paleo, I'm fine with giving up processed foods, breads, refined sugars. I know that most crossfitters believe in chasing performance and the rest will follow but as crazy as this might sound, my number one goal is weight loss. My thought is if I lose 50-75# and maintain the strength I have I will be stronger per # than I am now if that makes any sense. And if I'm lugging around 50-75# less body fat my cardio will be much improved naturally. So my question is how much protein should I consume, 1 gram per # of lean mass or more? Should I restrict carbs to only before and after workout? How many calories and grams of fat?
This is what I've come up with
Eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast
Greek yogurt with walnuts for snack
Imitation crab meat for lunch
Skim milk with protein powder pre and post workout
Lean protein(fish,seafood, chicken, turkey etc.) and green smoothie for dinner
Cottage cheese before bed.
Ideas, suggestions, recommendations?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Weight loss meal plan

Start tracking your calories on a site like myfitnesspal.com or fitday.com (both wfs) and keep an accurate eye on everything that you eat. If you go out to eat and can't find the nutrition information on your tracking site or the restaurants website then just try to do the best you can estimating. This may seem like a pain at first but it really should take less than 10 minutes a day, if you can't dedicate 10 minutes per day to helping you lose weight then you probably aren't very serious about it anyways.

Make sure you eat at least 165 grams of protein per day and the rest is less important, just try to have a majority of your diet be what people would consider "clean foods" (i.e. less processed, high nutrition content). Also, this doesn't mean you can't eat more than 165 grams of protein, protein is the most thermogenic macro and it makes people feel the most satiated. You don't need to go crazy with it, just make sure you hit 165 g/day AT A MINIMUM.

At 255 lbs your maintenance calories are probably pretty high, I would guess somewhere in the 3000-3200 range. Try to cut 500 cals/day from that so that you would be around 2500-2700 and see how you do after a couple weeks. Weigh yourself once a week in a consistent manner (i.e. on Saturday morning right after you wake up and use the restroom). If you are not losing weight then cut 10-20% more calories and after a few weeks reassess. Your water weight can change drastically so it is best to give it a few weeks to see how you are really doing. If you are losing weight too fast increase your calories a bit.

This method works and works really well, it just takes dedication to tracking how much you are really eating (not cheating, if you eat it track it) and sticking to your set calorie levels and hitting your protein target. Hit the weights 3-4 times a week. Don't expect amazing results overnight, if you eat 500 calories under your maintenance then you should lose around 1 lb per week, if you feel like you can cut some more calories then 2 lbs shouldn't be out of the question (this would take a 1000 calorie deficit). The key is to not cut to such a level that will cause you to cheat and binge. Eat what you want, just make sure it fits into your numbers. Don't exclude foods just for the sake of exclusion.

Around December I was 245 lbs and did exactly what I outlined above. Today I weighed in at 200 lbs even and feel better than I have in a long long time. Best of luck, feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Mallow View Post
Ideas, suggestions, recommendations?
Eat less, exercise more.

AIS Sports Nutrition Factsheet: Weight loss.

A Common Sense Approach To Sound Nutrition by Jeff Novick, MS RD.*

Maximizing Weight Loss: How To Fine Tune Calorie Density by Jeff Novick, MS RD.

* Note: To calculate the calorie density of meat or anything else not included in Jeff Novicks calorie density scale look it up in the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference then enter 4.54 in the box labelled value per 100g to calculate calories per pound.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 06-08-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #4
William Mallow

Profile:

Thanks Luke for taking the time to respond, those are some great suggestions, I will definitely give that a try. It's good to hear from somebody that has done and succeeded with what they are recommending. Thanks Darryl for the links.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #5
Phil Washlow

Profile:

I think it is important to answer the question, are you actually willing to measure and track everything you consume? If you are even hesitant to say yes then I have another solution. This is the only one that worked for me after trying for years to lean out by counting calories, it would work for a short period of time but I just could never get it to last, maybe I am weak willed.

Here is my suggestion, eat as many nutrient dense vegetables as possible, make fat 50% + of your calories, protein pretty much ad libidum while aiming for 160-200g, and carbs based on your activity for the day. Days with no exercise just eat the veggies (maybe one piece of fruit) and don't worry about carbs, on days where you do work out some additional carbs may be necessary (by additional I am talking about sweet potatoes, white potatoes, rice, fruit). If you are just doing aerobic low intensity work then you don't need many carbs, highly glycogen dependent work, like crossfit or circuit training, more carbs. At first do not concentrate on calories at all, focus primarily on getting as many nutrients as possible and training your body to use fat as its main fuel source.

As you become healthier, less sugar/high glycemic carb dependent, and better at mobilizing fat your body will become better and better at regulating hunger based on actual need, not hormonal disregulation due to sugar consumption and lack of nutrients.

By all of this I am not implying that calories do not matter, they most certainly do. I have just found that instead of using your mind to fight hunger signals it is easier to teach your body to give the proper signals.

Lastly, I beg you, switch to whole milk and real bacon.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
William Mallow

Profile:

Phil, thanks for responding. I don't have a problem tracking what I eat. I can eat the same thing day after day with no problem. The meal plan I layed out is about 2000 calories. I would be scared to take my fat intake to 50%, why do you recommend whole milk and real bacon? I am doing crossfit but leaning more towards olympic lifting and strongman(just got a rogue yoke) I workout m-f after work and usually do multiple workouts on the weekend.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
Kerry Kubla

Profile:

^^ I would also agree highly with Phil and recomend real bacon, whole eggs, and whole milk! Think of turkey bacon as kind of like a hot dog. Its made up of a bunch of pieces from the turkey processed and pressed into a flat substance. Turkey bacon most likely contains all of the extra parts that are not easily sold such as skin, feet, beaks,and some meat. Real pork bacon is simply the stomach area of the pig and not much processing going on, depending on the brand, and should just simply be pork with some salt added. Have you ever asked a butcher if he has any fresh turkey bacon and see what his response is?

Rather than looking at the fat/calorie content I would focus on the ingredients and pick items with little to none. Any fresh vegetable in the grocery store is just itself without anything added. Meats can be the same way if your looking at any processed meat there are multiple ingredients that you probably cant even pronounce let alone know what they are. You probably will not find an ingredient label on a grass fed red meat,steak,wild salmon, or cage free eggs because thats exactly whats in it.

Last edited by Kerry Kubla : 06-09-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #8
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

And as far as weight loss goes it doesn't matter
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Dietary fat does not make you fat, nor is it dangerous. Whole milk is more nutritious than skim, especially if you can get the raw unpasteurized, and real bacon just tastes a lot better, plus has more fat.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
Michael Lennox

Profile:

Hey bud,
I think youre in the right direction. Definitely awesome feeling knowing youre doing something good and making change.
Two things, I wouldn't calculate your meals using calories and don't drink anything except water, black coffee/tea (lose the milk -for now at least)

Darryl has some good links there, this one is cool too. Pretty much lays it all out for you.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/fix-a-broken-diet WFS

Example
Meal
Two Palms of protein
Two Fist of Veggies
1 or 2 handful of carbs
1-2thumbs of fat

Also make sure your hitting the weights. Lift heavy, eat some grub repeat. And then through some running in there whatever you feel like doing.
So yeah man, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or whatever.
Lennox