CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Matt Shaffer

Profile:
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
Would you say that realistically the majority of paleo dieters eat only, or a majority of their meats from pastured ruminants and wild caught fish?

The point of the study wasn't to look at a super strict version of the paleo diet, it was even stated as such with "Unrestricted" being in the title. The point was more to see the impact it makes in real world conditions.
Fair response, however a majority of paleo advocates also recommend pastured ruminants and wild caught fish as the main suggestions for protein sources, so wouldn't it also be valuable to see what eating those sources of protein does ot lipids? Perhaps there is a huge benefit that can be demonstrated by such study.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
Larry Bruce

Profile:
Re: Unrestricted Paleolithic Diet is Associated with Unfavorable Changes to Blood Lipids in Healthy Subjects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
It doesn't matter if the HDL-C is measured imperfectly because the ratio of it and TG was plotted against exact measurements of particle size. There is still a high correlation.

"Combining HDL-C and TG into a ratio (i.e., TG/HDL-C) is probably the single best predictor of cardiac risk you can derive from a standard cholesterol test.

Seems to be in agreement.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
Russell Greene

Profile:

I have uncovered some information about this study that calls its conclusions and data into question: http://therussells.crossfit.com/2014...fit-and-paleo/ (link is w/f safe)

Mainly, the subjects didn't "strictly" follow the Paleo diet, contrary to the study's claim. Mitch Potterf of CrossFit 614 told me,

“I would say we probably didn’t have anyone go strict for more than a few weeks before they cheated. It really wasn’t a Paleo Challenge. The truth is nobody really knows what people actually did because they didn’t write down what they ate, just whether it could score them points or not."

And if you click on the blog post, I have pictures of the epic cheat meals that Mitch encourages his CrossFit 614 members to record.

So, I wouldn't pay much attention to this study's results. No one even knows what the subjects really ate.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #14
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
I have uncovered some information about this study that calls its conclusions and data into question: http://therussells.crossfit.com/2014...fit-and-paleo/ (link is w/f safe)

Mainly, the subjects didn't "strictly" follow the Paleo diet, contrary to the study's claim. Mitch Potterf of CrossFit 614 told me,

ďI would say we probably didnít have anyone go strict for more than a few weeks before they cheated. It really wasnít a Paleo Challenge. The truth is nobody really knows what people actually did because they didnít write down what they ate, just whether it could score them points or not."

And if you click on the blog post, I have pictures of the epic cheat meals that Mitch encourages his CrossFit 614 members to record.

So, I wouldn't pay much attention to this study's results. No one even knows what the subjects really ate.
That cheat meals are indeed epic...
Did they work out after that breakfast? Even Murph is not going to burn that much.