CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Rick Barnes

Profile:
Re: What shoes to wear?

Ok let me jump into the foray.... I am a longtime runner mostly 1/2'marathons and 5k used to a huge fan of LSD training until doing CF, so now I am looking at replacing my shoes and wonder if I should try the Inov8 before jumping to a vibram? My goal is to move away from the high arch heel driven shoe for both CF & running, most of my running these days is 5k or less, thanks for any advice
Old 04-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Tricia Magrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Barnes View Post
Ok let me jump into the foray.... I am a longtime runner mostly 1/2'marathons and 5k used to a huge fan of LSD training until doing CF, so now I am looking at replacing my shoes and wonder if I should try the Inov8 before jumping to a vibram? My goal is to move away from the high arch heel driven shoe for both CF & running, most of my running these days is 5k or less, thanks for any advice
I am definitely not a LSD runner, but I had to wean myself from my Brooks into Nike Frees and then most recently the New Balance Minimus trails. 5ks still tweak my ankles in them honestly. I think if you want to go Vibram then get them now. Work your WODs/400m+/- runs with them and see how you feel. Start adding mileage as you get acclimated to shorter runs. I wouldn't buy the Innovates as a stepping stone.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #13
Rick Barnes

Profile:

thanks for the advice..not what I expected... I was expecting yes use the stepping stone ideology.. Thanks much..
Old 04-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Shawn M Smith

Profile:

I also think that if you're interested in VFFs and minimalist running and activity, then you should go straight to them. All of those shoes are expensive!

The VFFs are well-suited for general CF activities, but for things like running and box jumping/double-unders, you will really need to work up to max effort and endurance slowly. It's not so much the lack of cushioning, it's the different strain that you'll be putting on your calves. Expect some lower leg DOMS at first, if you don't start slowly. The foot pain isn't really a big deal and actually will help force you into "proper" form. It hurts a lot less to use a mid-foot or toe strike with VFFs, than a standard heel strike.

If I was transitioning from a standard issue running shoe to VFFs, I would take around 3-4 weeks before running a full 5K in them. If you buy them from a good store like REI or a professional running store, they'll probably give you the same sort of advice and can work with you on a reasonable and safe schedule.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #15
Ron Thompson

Profile:

I've been a Nike guy all my life… since my HS Track and Field days. I'm a fan of the Nike TR training shoe. They just released the TR2s. For lifting, I just got the Romaleos. Still breaking them in, but love them so far. I haven't trained in the Vibrams yet, but I do have them and like them.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #16
James Orr

Profile:

I've tried a lot of shoes in the past year. The three I really like and use are the Vibram Komodo's, Asics DS Racer's, and Rogue Weightlifting shoes (which are just Do-Wins).

There were some that just didn't work for me. I ended up returning the Nike Free's, Vibram KSO's, Vibram Bikila's, New Balance MT101's, and Asics DS Trainer's.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #17
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

My shoe approach is pretty much as follows:
  • If there's much running in the WOD, then I wear a minimalist shoe such as my Brooks Mach 11 or Puma Saloh.
    • This sometimes comes at the expense of a wider sole for lifting. If I hit a WOD such as "Nancy," with considerable amounts of both running and lifting, I go with the running shoes, since I hate running in Chucks or VFFs. I then use the narrow running sole as my excuse for poor lifts.
  • If the WOD is more lift/gymnastics-oriented, then I usually go with Chucks or (although rarely) VFFs.
I've been known to do WODs in my lifting shoes. For instance, "Chief" with power cleans, pushups, and squats. I did the 11.4 WOD using Chucks for the burpees and then quickly moving over to my lifting shoes for the OHS. After the burpees, I knew I'd need a tiny rest before trying my first OHS, so I used the rest period ( < 15sec ) to put on my lifting shoes.

Mark
Old 04-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #18
Rick Barnes

Profile:

Thanks for the feedback, I ordered a pair of Inov8 230's (Army Green) that won't be here until July so I will stick with my cheapo's until then..they work well for for what i am doing now...just always looking for something to upgrade to...
Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
Gisselle Matta

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Minimalist shoes typically make the best all-around choices. Anything with lots of cushioning is a bad choice for anything that requires you to drive through your feet into a stable surface, and heel cushioned running shoes tend to encourage heel striking. If you're not going to do much running something like Chuck Taylors or Vans will do the job. But my new favorite all around shoes are the New Balance Minimus trails--they're similar to Nike Frees or Puma flats or INOV8s but even more minimalist and very comfortable for pretty much any kind of activity.

Thanks to all that responded. Definitely a ton of options. One of my problems is I need a Wide female size...so it limits options. I try to get 1/2 size bigger but sometimes that trick doesn't work. It's hard to find a Wide on the minimalist shoes. So after going to the shop and trying on the Nike Free's, a Merrell minimalist shoe, Asics and New Balance. I decided to get the NB Minimus. Yes, unfortunately I had to get a men's size to accomodate width . It's a little embarrassing but I like the shoe. I'm walking around with them before I show up for a workout later in the week. So far so good.

I was told that if I ever want to go for a longer run (hope to do a 1/2 marathon in Oct)..I need to go back to my regular neutral shoes (not the Minimus).
Old 04-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

My feet are fairly wide too and I liked the fact that the Minimus have a wide forefoot. The midfoot feels a little tight at first but mine have loosened up a bit and adjusted to my foot size. Did you go with the trail or the road version?