CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Pedro Farah

Profile:
Burn fat while gaining strength possible?

I was wondering how doable this is. Would like to get rid of my lifelong love handles while maintaining my oly lifting and strength (not necessarily muscle) gradually increasing (though more slowly during that time).

My plan is to eat healthy at about 10-20% caloric deficit and 1.5-2 grams of protein per kilo of my bodyweight and keep following outlaw barbell - which would mean only strength and oly training, no conditioning. I would do this until I hit 10-11% bodyfat, and then control my bulking to never exceed 12%. I'm currently at around 16-15% bodyfat and sort of skinny fat, with 6'1 and 165lbs ( what annoys me is that my genetics dictate that most of my fat rest around my waist).

How is all of this sounding?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Mike Doehla

Profile:
Re: Burn fat while gaining strength possible?

My question is why that? I would do a dedicated strength program with more "big lifts" and accessory movements. It is possible to increase strength on a deficit but not easy. You need a good team to program both diet and training.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Pedro Farah

Profile:

Thanks Mike, I'm moving to a new country, and will be certainly looking for a good box to work with. However I wish I had a plan B until I find them.

I have been dedicating to oly lifting for the past 5 months, and made some decent strength gains. But to be perfectly honest, I've had love handles since I can remember and would like to enjoy looking good with my shirt off. Is it going to be that hard to do both things at once? Should I lay off getting stronger until I get as lean as I want?
Old 12-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

A little bit of love handle isn't really the problem I don't think. At 6'1" and 165 you are primarily under muscled. If you add 20lbs of muscle to your frame you probably wouldn't care that you had a little bit of love handles. Your back and chest would be wider and your belly wouldn't stick out near as much relatively. That's coming from someone who also stores all their fat around the belly.

Trying to do a strength program on a caloric deficit while being 6'1" and 165 is not a great idea. As Wendler puts it, you're trying to serve two masters. I'd add more calories, do a strength program with more hypertrophy and focused around the main lifts. And keep practicing your olympic lifts as skill work. Gain 20lbs and a lot of strength and then reevaluate.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Mike Doehla

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
A little bit of love handle isn't really the problem I don't think. At 6'1" and 165 you are primarily under muscled. If you add 20lbs of muscle to your frame you probably wouldn't care that you had a little bit of love handles. Your back and chest would be wider and your belly wouldn't stick out near as much relatively. That's coming from someone who also stores all their fat around the belly.

Trying to do a strength program on a caloric deficit while being 6'1" and 165 is not a great idea. As Wendler puts it, you're trying to serve two masters. I'd add more calories, do a strength program with more hypertrophy and focused around the main lifts. And keep practicing your olympic lifts as skill work. Gain 20lbs and a lot of strength and then reevaluate.

Just my 2 cents.
agreed.

OP, you are a small dude. don't worry about a little fat. Get big.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

My guess is you estimate around 2000-2500 kcals.

Id try 5-10% first before towards 20% and look into nutrient timing. I'm sure you'v . Already lookes into carrying extra fat on love handles and whatever Poliquin says that ia because due to his body composition system.

I think with some nutrient timing and careful choice of diet, you probably don't need to be on a deficit at all. Get some muscle mass and let that and exercise help burn it off.

Suprailiac is insulin resistance on that method basically less carbs, more fat according to the protocol.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
Chris Mason

Profile:

Yes and no. It really depends pretty heavily on your relative level of strength development. If you are a beginner, or are not near your strength potential the answer is definitely. If you are an advanced trainee and not using tissue building drugs then the answer is very unlikely.