CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Ok, aside from the clean, jerk, snatch, and weighted box jumps (two 45lb dumbbells at my side and 18" box), what's some good exercises for developing max explosive leg power?

I don't think fast squats are good, or anything like that, but what's your recommendations?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Well, if I didn't already know you were a skater (so I assume you're already doing 'em), I would say lightly weighted step-ups: step up to a high bench (18"?) and explode up from there (i.e., drive up on the bench hard and almost "bound" up (carry through with the other leg and drive that knee high), then step down).

Can add a lateral component, as well (make the initial step include a bit of sideways drive (about 12" - 24"?)).

Although these have always added a lot of power for me (and are an important part of my Sept-Feb ski training), I think you've probably already moved beyond these.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

I should note that I'm only 5'5", so yes, 18" *is* a high bench for me, thank you very much . . .
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

for serious jumping springy-ness...try one legged broad jumps, bounding exercises, broad jumps with two legs, standing highjumps, and long jumping (long jumping is a little bit jaring though...)
Old 07-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
George Mounce

Profile:
Wasn't this covered in the vertical thread?

(w/f safe): http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/45121.html
Old 07-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Skater?

Lateral bounding
Pistols
Lateral jumping pistols

Eric Heiden loved weighted walking lunges!

You stated:
"I don't think fast squats are good, or anything like that..."

Speed squats are great!
Especially with bands and chains at sub-maximal load. (Google Louie Simmons Dynamic method)

Depth jumps are a killer also...if you're ready...

-jh

Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Heh, plenty to think about. I've done pistols, but I can't do them fast yet (unless I'm going too low, in which case maybe I can do them fast)...

And I've actually never really incorporated one-legged box step-ups, I've done them before, but haven't incorporated them into my workout. Heck, I didn't even think to go into the one-legged domain. That's just what I'm looking for, "increased" weight to keep the reps low and develop max power.

In that case, I could do a ton of the skating jumps, and possibly even add some dumbbells at some point when doing them. Oh the possibilities.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I have to go with Trevor on the one leg work. Recently in my quest for vert leap testing and drills, my boss reminded me of one leg ball of the foot hop running or zig zagging across a line. One of the old track drills we used to do that I forgot. I remember most of them but that was a bread and butter drill back then. He said working it as well, shows and builds ankle/knee/hip stability. It's my opinion, pistols do this as well, but not nearly in the same manner explosively ( until you're hopping in them ).

Matt, have you see the type of squat Annie does during tabata squats? It's what I would call a drop squat and similar to a depth jump in that she just drops and has to stop her momentum, then push hard back to an open hip.

David, I can't tell; maybe because it's been too long of a night if it's sarcasm about the 18" bench or block.

I'm barely 5'2" and an 18 inch block or bench would be good for single leg work only in my opinion as far as " explosive " power goes. Within our group we have joked at the 24" jump boxes as being far too low for CF standards and 30 is where they should be done for WOD if not higher.

Bare in mind, I have short legs and am called the dwarf or hobbit among my friends and come from bloodlines that are short with short legs on both sides. I wouldn't consider myself in great shape and somewhere between CF level 2 and 3 mainly due to remaining muscle mass and atheletic ability that has stayed though I consider myself overweight a bit and laugh that I am fit like a sumo - fat with muscle underneath.

However, an 18" box with added weight would be acceptable and maybe similar or more difficult than a 90lb weight vest due to where the weight is centered.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 AM   #9
Darren Zega

Profile:  
From training kids to have explosive kicks, my old favorite - squat tuck jumps. Get into the deepest squat possible, tuck jump as high as you can. Hurts like hell in a tabata interval. Try to maximize your air time. Since you're coming from a butt to heels squat it works the full range of extensors in the legs.

(Message edited by davion13 on July 31, 2007)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
That's one of the jumps we do in skating, one legged tuck jumps, staying on the same leg. Basically start super low (deep) on one leg, drive your opposite leg forward as you jump up, then drive your pushing leg up, and as you land, drive your opposite leg backwards again (or to the side, depending on which one you're doing).