CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
Ryan Oakes

Profile:
How to get my pull up numbers up as well as fitness numbers?

i can only do 4 pull ups from a dead hang and 10 chin ups.
im doing this for a month to get my strength up and endurance so i can be able to complete some of the crossfit workouts

how can i get these numbers up fast.

i do a 45 min workout every day

monday: Bench press for chest and triceps.. then 45 minute cardio workout involving pushups burpees and jumping jacks and other stuff. (shoulders are included in this workout.)

Tuesday: 30 minute cardio workout with jump rope, jumping jacks, and running.

wednesday: Pull ups and bicep curls for increasing pull ups. then lat pull downs and rows and stuff. if i cant make it to the gym. then just a pull up workout like 5xmax chins, 5xmax wide grip chins, 5x max wide grip pull ups, 5x max close grip pull ups. some barbell curls. then some cardio.

thursday: 30 minute cardio workout with jump rope, jumping jacks, and running.

friday: full body workout. (jumps for legs, pushups for chest and tris, pull ups for back and bis) and bench press curls and bodyweight sqauts and stuff.

weekends. 10 min jog each day (these are just basically rest days)
Old 08-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: How to get my pull up numbers up as well as fitness numbers?

Ryan- are you scaling the workouts using the BrandX website?
Old 08-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Ramsey Abdulrahim

Profile:

There is so much wrong with your post from a crossfit perspective but I'll leave that for other people to correct... I'm sure they'll do a better job explaining things that I would. Check out Brand X linked from the 'Start Here' link on the mainpage.

Google Recon Ron and Armstrong Pull-up Program... those routines are very effective for getting you to about a dozen pull-ups.

You can even include them as a warm-up to your WOD (which you should be doing)... Also, 1x a week or so, throw in a 'grease the groove' day where you do a max set of pull-ups every chance you get (I'm assuming you have a pull-up bar at home)... maybe every time you use the bathroom, do a set.

Last edited by Ramsey Abdulrahim : 08-21-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Here are the BrandX scaled workouts. http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ Link is Work and Family Safe (WFS)
Be in this for the long haul and start with them, at the buttercup level!!! That way you safely strengthen your tendons before you overload them as your muscle strength shoots past your tendon strength.

Go slow, go far....
Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Ryan Oakes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Ryan- are you scaling the workouts using the BrandX website?
no icreated them myself. will this website also help me stay lean?
Old 08-22-2009, 04:06 AM   #6
Greg Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Oakes View Post
no icreated them myself. will this website also help me stay lean?
Ryan: if you want to be able to do CrossFit, do CrossFit. Start today. Do NOT do another program to "get ready." Do each WOD as it comes up (maybe a few days behind to help with the logistics) scaled appropriately by going to the brandx website under the "start here" tab. If you haven't already ready all the info at the "start here" tab on the mainsite, I highly recommend you do so. Following this will dramatically increase your strength fitness and pull up numbers. I promise.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:01 AM   #7
Ryan Oakes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post
Ryan: if you want to be able to do CrossFit, do CrossFit. Start today. Do NOT do another program to "get ready." Do each WOD as it comes up (maybe a few days behind to help with the logistics) scaled appropriately by going to the brandx website under the "start here" tab. If you haven't already ready all the info at the "start here" tab on the mainsite, I highly recommend you do so. Following this will dramatically increase your strength fitness and pull up numbers. I promise.
ok. but i don't know how to do hang cleans and im scared if i try them i'll pop my shoulder out of its socket lol.

can i do crossfit ALONG With this workout?
Old 08-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #8
S. Kyle Smith

Profile:

Quote:
ok. but i don't know how to do hang cleans and im scared if i try them i'll pop my shoulder out of its socket lol.

can i do crossfit ALONG With this workout?

there is SO much information on both this forum and the main crossfit.com website regarding how to properly perform each and every lift/exercise. play around on the Digital Coaching section of this forum, look at other people's posts for cleans and pay attention to the critiques offered. the mainsite also has videos on these lifts. spend $25 and get the crossfit journal also, some of the best information you can get comes through that source.

the concensus among crossfitters is that doing crossfit should be the only workout you do. even if you feel like doing more, don't...unless it's technique work, such as practicing handstands. use the brandx scaling listed above by others and go at each workout with as much intensity as possible without sacrificing too much on proper form. do what they say and you'll be moving up the ladder to porch/pack level in no time. and eat more, i saw your other post where you indicated you were eating 6 meals with only 200-300 calories. at 14 years old and starting crossfit, you need to eat lots and eat often; just try to keep it clean
Old 08-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #9
Ryan Oakes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Kyle Smith View Post
there is SO much information on both this forum and the main crossfit.com website regarding how to properly perform each and every lift/exercise. play around on the Digital Coaching section of this forum, look at other people's posts for cleans and pay attention to the critiques offered. the mainsite also has videos on these lifts. spend $25 and get the crossfit journal also, some of the best information you can get comes through that source.

the concensus among crossfitters is that doing crossfit should be the only workout you do. even if you feel like doing more, don't...unless it's technique work, such as practicing handstands. use the brandx scaling listed above by others and go at each workout with as much intensity as possible without sacrificing too much on proper form. do what they say and you'll be moving up the ladder to porch/pack level in no time. and eat more, i saw your other post where you indicated you were eating 6 meals with only 200-300 calories. at 14 years old and starting crossfit, you need to eat lots and eat often; just try to keep it clean
got it tahnks so much. how fast can you see strength, muscular, and speed gains? A MONTH? or two?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
S. Kyle Smith

Profile:

Quote:
got it tahnks so much. how fast can you see strength, muscular, and speed gains? A MONTH? or two?

improvements come quickly! keep a log of your workouts and watch as your times go down and your weights go up. at your age and starting crossfit, you can be as much of a beast as you want. i wish crossfit was around when i was that age; i'm closing in on 30 and am in better shape now that when i played tennis for my college, all due to crossfit...my tennis game is even better than back then, crossfit has helped in the power department like nothing else. this stuff is addictive; read as much as you can on here, pay attention to everything and just go for it...nothing but fun once you get into it full force