CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Aaron Davis

Profile:
A. Davis Log

Just "officially" starting crossfit, started paleo about a week ago.
Decided to do a 5k today as a benchmark to improve on.

Weather conditions were a perfect low 60's cloudy, ran the track and came in at 31:56. I felt pretty winded at the end, slowed to a fast walk for about 1/4 mile and then tried to finish strong. I feel like if i paced myself better i could have come in closer to 30min. So i guess that places my immediate goal at sub-30, within 3 months i really want to hit sub-25.

24/m/6'/185#
Old 01-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Aaron Davis

Profile:
Re: A. Davis Log

Did "Barbara" yesterday. All 5 rounds, 22:04 (didnt keep track of each round time). Even though I finished all sets/rounds, I did almost 90% jumping pullups, many of them not even getting above the bar by the end. I also did a lot of knee pushups. I can definitely improve in all aspects of this. Still, I went hard and exhausted myself, and loved it.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Aaron Davis

Profile:

Thruster 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

95 (just guessed where to begin)
125 (F sort of)

In retrospect, I should have built up to 125 slower and then maybe increased over that because I felt like my motion was off. Instead of using the momentum coming out of the squat, i kept hesitating and i felt like it limited my ability to put the weight up. This was my first time doing any thrusters at all though, so it was a learning process and another benchmark to definitely build upon. My goal with this is eventually 1RM my BW.

Worked on some pullups/situps and jumprope afterwards.

Last edited by Aaron Davis : 01-28-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Aaron Davis

Profile:

"Elizabeth"

21-15-9 reps of:
Clean 135 pounds
Ring dips

I am officially humbled (if i wasn't already). I had never done a clean of any type before. Watched the videos a bunch, read up on them, and practiced a few with just the bar. I felt like I had good enough form to not hurt myself, so I went for it. Because of my complete inexperience I only used 65# (not a typo), AND didn't do full SQUAT cleans. And for dips, the gravitron was in use the whole time so I did the rx'd amount of bench dips. So basically i scaled this one WAY DOWN. I still worked at it super hard and finished in 10:11, completely drained and out of breath. However on the way home I realized I should have taken longer, done more weight, and done more dips than rx'd. I should have figured out better form so that I could catch more weight, and because my forearms feel a little pumped I think I may have used my arms too much and not my hips and legs enough. So, the learning process continues, but with some benefit because I feel like I got a heck of a workout still.

Been grain free, sugar free for 9 days now. I have dropped from +/-188 down to +/-182 as of today. Not sure what kind of weight has been lost, and im not obessed with weight, but my clothes are already fitting better, and I feel wonderful.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Aaron Davis

Profile:

"Nicole"

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
Run 400 meters
Max rep Pull-ups
Post number of pull-ups completed for each round to comments.

6 rounds +300m

I tried to work on kippings during the warmup. Most of the pullups ended up being an attempt at kipping, mixed with a jumping pullup...Obviously weak in this respect but determined none the less. For tomorrows rest day I might just spend some time getting my form down for some of the lifts, and try to figure out how to kip if it kills me.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Aaron Davis

Profile:

I planned on waking up and doing "kelly" today, however I found out that my gym doesnt open til 11 on Sundays. Between meeting today and the super bowl, I messed up and allowed no time for it. Pair that with my planned "cheat day" where I fasted til 1, snacked relatively paleo but then had a sausage/pepper sandwich on a roll, a couple cups of diet sprite, and ended up having about 1c. of vanilla ice cream. The reality of this is that although I planned on letting myself eat whatever I felt like, I ended up not feeling good afterward. I got that "bloated", over-stuffed feeling just from eating that one sandwich, and after the ice cream (which i couldnt even finish) i got a headache and felt kind of sick to my stomach. All of these things occurred just eating normal sized portions of this stuff. I feel happy though because perhaps I have become truly in tune to the difference of grain/sugar vs. none. I no longer feel deprived...instead I feel liberated. So, i'll call today a day off of everything, although I dont plan on having any more days like this with the WODs. Its too dangerous.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Aaron Davis

Profile:

30 Muscle-ups for time
Post time to comments.
If you cannot do the muscle-ups do 120 pull-ups and 120 dips.

Knowing that I could probably only do 3 or 4 dead hang pullups, I decided to not even bother timing this one. I scaled it down big again and did 60 pullups/60 dips on the gravitron, with as much as 115# assistance toward the end. I did them pretty much non stop and like the other scaled down days, got a great sweat going and exhausted myself by the end. Even though I continue to not come close to the rx'd WOD's, I feel like im benefitting tremendously from crossfit already, and I am starting to both see and feel myself getting stronger.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Aaron Davis

Profile:

Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps

Like mentioned above, as the first WOD with back squats I really tried to focus on form and not hurting myself. I watched the rippetoe videos a lot and tried to focus on keeping on my heels, and keeping my back and abs flexed. Still, with a little better balance and a better stance I feel like I had the strength to put up more weight. Another benchmark to improve on!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Aaron Davis

Profile:

Five rounds for time of:
2 pood Kettlebell swings, 25 reps --- 30lb DB swings
25 GHD Sit-ups --- regular sit-ups on floor
25 Back Extensions --- rx'd
25 Knees to Elbows --- leg raises

Scaled it down again because the gym has no GHD, and I probably couldn't do those anyway. Knees to elbows are also impossible for me. I did complete all 5 rounds though, at 25:36. Since I scaled down the difficulty I really tried to go non-stop which I almost did up until the 5th round. Of all the WOD's ive done, this one felt the most exhausting and drained me the most. I didn't think i'd be able to do all 5 rounds so it felt great to complete this one today.

Still going strong no grains/no sugar..it just feels like a lifestyle now, not a diet. Not craving anything ever (except pizza). I feel like I want to refine this further though, maybe balancing carb/fat/protein a little better. Also, as a further out goal, I want to probably nix dairy as well. My weight dipped to 179 last weekend, which was 9 pounds lighter than when I started everything, but lately its been around 183. I know weight is silly, but I wonder if i'm gaining muscle while I lose fat? I need to try to remember if thats even really possible. I think my ideal weight is 180, just with a lower BF% than im at right now.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
Aaron Davis

Profile:

Shoulder press 1-1-1-1-1 reps
Push press 3-3-3-3-3 reps
Push Jerk 5-5-5-5-5 reps -- Thruster rx'd reps

95# all sets

Never done push jerks and didnt feel very comfortable learning them tonight, so decided to do thrusters 5x5. Didn't rest much between sets so it was a pretty good metabolic workout today as well. Like other things, with better form I could have probably put up more weight, great workout none the less.