CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-10-2002, 01:05 PM   #11
Coach

Profile:

Patrick,

Hmmmm....we've linked to the site several times in the WOD and in each of the two CrossFit Journals....

Here it is, sir, again: http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/

How're things Patrick? Say "hi" to Stacey for us.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:43 PM   #12
Jason

Profile:  
http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/cond/#plltts http://www.drillsandskills.com/pics/paralettes.gif

The first link will take you right to the section with the instructions and the second link will take you to a drawing and layout of the assembly.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:42 PM   #13
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Coach:

Everything is great. I want to come out to have my a@# thrashed during Christmas. Stacey is going to be having our first mini-CrossFit trainee in April.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:02 PM   #14
Matt

Profile:  
... that paralettes let you know just how poor your strength-to-weight ratio really is.

I started playing around with a pair of them earlier this week and was immediately humbled.

The L-sit and tuck weren't so bad but the tuck planche was surprisingly difficult. Less surprising but still really tough are handstand push-ups on the paralettes. Still, they're a great addition to regular Crossfit workouts, especially since I have only occasional access to a gym and heavy weights.

On the upside, I installed a pull-up bar and have made grear progress in that arena. Also, tabata squats never let me down.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:24 PM   #15
Coach

Profile:

Matt,

Nearly everything that can be done on the parallettes can also be done on the rings but is much, much harder.

Keep it up, sir.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:27 PM   #16
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Coach,
Good point about the rings, but my parallettes can go anywhere, and that handstand pushup blows peoples minds. It is a good "point maker" when I am selling CrossFit to people. When they see my big *** doing it, it makes an impression!
Old 10-15-2002, 12:02 PM   #17
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Just want to comment on the paralletts. I've used PVC and ABS paralletes for many years and never had them fail. We had a set that survived 5 years of a mens gymnastics team using them without a hitch, and these were scratched up real good to hold chalk. I've had mine at home for about 10 years now without a problem.

BTW if you wrap the handles in athletic tape they won't get as slick with sweat. Though you'll probably want to use a dark color otherwise they begin to look pretty gross over time. Sweat, glue and dust don't make a pretty sight.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:03 PM   #18
Jim Schubert

Profile:  
Frank,
How did you put together the improvised kettlebell? I have the Walmart spin-lock DB handles, what else do I need?

And thanks for all the info, all of you. I had parallets attached to my "tower of strength" (as my wife calls our chinning/dipping/etc apparatus) without knowing what they were. Now I'm having fun working on my handstand push-ups on it too.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:33 AM   #19
Ron McCord

Profile:  
Can someone give me a tried and true layout for making a pair of parallettes. I made a pair last night using 1" PVC 8"H 16"L with an 11.5 inch base.
I am 5'9 175lbs.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:45 PM   #20
Aptdwler

Profile:

If you are worried about the pvc, you could always put cement in the crossbars. This would add to the strength. I have to make a pair soon.

I have a lot of ideas on my site. I'm too lazy to list them all here.

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining