CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Steven Becker

Profile:
I had my acl reconstructed 3 months ago and have to get the bad leg as strong as the good. I keep progressing at the same rate with both legs. The doc said one legged bicycling would be good, but I don't want to buy a trainer for my mountain bike. Any ideas for exercises to catch up?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I have no idea what kind of strength your leg currently has, or what is recommended for physical therapy after ACL injuries;
These can keep you focused on the one weak leg: Lunges, stepping up on progressively taller boxes, standing from a increasingly lowered seated position with you weak leg.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:53 AM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The doc said one legged bicycling would be good

Tell your doc to stick to surgery and stay away from exercise advice. He's not trained for it. Bicycling is not a good strength building exercise except for the very very weak. Even then, it doesn't transfer well to other strength movements.

Besides lunges and step-ups, split squats, with the good leg behind you on a bench, are another idea.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Work on strength based exercises that are single legged such as a weighted step-up. Work your WEAK leg first. If you only do 6 reps on the weak...then ONLY do 6 reps on the stronger one at the same weight (even if it's easy...doesn't matter). NEVER do more on the stronger one. Keep progressing your workout loads with the weak leg until it's strength equals the work load you can do with your stronger leg.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
Steven Becker

Profile:
Thanks. I've been doing crossfit for almost a year now and have improved my upper body strength through this recovery. Just got 23 pullups last week. Anyway, I tried some of your ideas. Did all with 5# ankle weight and 25# db on weak side.

2x 10" stepup - 25 rep
lunge - 12 steps X2
forgot the split squats, I'll try them tmrw

is this what you had in mind. What about frequency? I also rowed for the 10k today and thought about 1 legged rowing - any thoughts on that one. I tried it and did about 2:38 - 500 then did good and got 2:18. both legs 2:09

The doctor (a very well respected sports surgeon here) said that "one legged bicycling is the BEST way to get strength and size back"... Didn't believe it when I heard it.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I'm willing to believe he's an excellent surgeon, no doubt there. I'll also bet he never took a strength & conditioning class in his life.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I'd stick with reps lower than 25....real strength gains are made in the rep ranges of 4-6 with 2-3min between working the same muscle....start slow, but I'd keep the reps lower (like start with 10 max) and weights lighter to begin...then progress small and steadily.

(Message edited by mike_od on December 02, 2006)
Old 12-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
Larry Barnum

Profile:
Remember, you are asking a medical question at
a fitness website.

You get what you pay for. If you don't want to
follow the advice of your doctor, see if he can
recommend a second opinion. Just because someone
spent a weekend attending classes in massage therapy, doesn't mean they are ready for brain surgery.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:48 AM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
What's your point Larry? How is strength related questions a medical field of specialty? A visit to a local Physical Therapist is always recommended for anyone recovering from surgery, but failing to see how a "second opinion" of a doctor after the surgery is over is what he really needs?
Old 12-02-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Steven Becker

Profile:
Now we get into the physical therapy discussion. Some good - some not so good. Actually I was pretty much released with a "go if you want". I personally thing most of the physical therapy from my pov is an insurance scam. I don't need someone watching me work out.

Their input was good to get it going, but the last few times I went they had me doing limited range of motion squats and deadlifts. I don't think this was the correct path both for strength or my back (now it hurts).