CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Advice to first time dad

Apologies if this has been covered but I'm too tired to search for it!

Just had a little baby boy weighing in at 4kgs.

Any advice on maintaining training with such a lack of sleep?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Advice to first time dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Steele View Post
Apologies if this has been covered but I'm too tired to search for it!

Just had a little baby boy weighing in at 4kgs.

Any advice on maintaining training with such a lack of sleep?
Funny you should ask, my first was born on Aug 30th.

Son and mom come first - training can wait.

I didn't sleep much at all the first week, and I didn't train. Now that we are getting on a routine, I sleep more, in fact I'm off to bed now.

The couch has worked wonders for me, considering if I don't sleep, the likelihood I or a student could die while flying due to a midair and me not being at the top of my game goes up substantially. So I moved on over to the couch when he's fussy and my wife understands I need to sleep to be at my A game for what I do.

But any other time I'm at home, I'm helping her as much as possible, and I train when he's eating.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Anthony DiSarro

Profile:

congrats first off. we just had number 4 in july. try to sleep when they sleep, get good at cat naps. take turns sleeping, get set up with bottles, diapers, wipes before going to bed so the middle of the night changes and feedings can be relatively quick and won't totally wake the baby.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Congrats George - I saw the pic of your little one - very cute! There's not much else can be done but sleep the minute you get the chance! Hope all is going well for you, mom and the little one.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #5
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Congratulations guys! What a great time in your lives!

I've had three little ones myself and breastfed all of them. That means I went without sleep for over a year at times and it is very hard. I believe that training does help maintain energy levels, but the first three months, you just have to let it go.

Your wife really needs you to be present and help her out. This is one of those moments that can help or hurt the marriage. She's probably feeling pretty isolated and tied down so a great training alternative might be to bundle up your little angel and go for a long walk with the stroller or baby bjorn.

If you fall back on your training, its not that big of a deal, you'll regain your strength pretty quickly. I have come back stronger and faster after recovering from each pregnancy and you'll be able to do the same.

And yes, nap when the baby naps and make sure your wife is napping as well. Lack of sleep can turn you into a raving lunatic rather quickly . . .

Good luck and Congratulations!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Helmut Block

Profile:

The only time that consistently works for me is early morning...My boy is an early morning creature too, so for a few months was not able to do much. After work time needs to go to the family...really not enought time to eat play with the kids and nite-nite routine...after all that I am usually too tired for work out...so early morning is the only consistent yes time.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Trevor Wallace

Profile:

Congrats. Having a baby is a wonderful blessing but it is tough work. Like one of the posts said above Moma and Baby come first. It is hard to fit in workouts with a busy schedule. If you are going to make a choice between sleep and working out I would choose sleep or you will go crazy. That being said one of the benefits of Crossfit workouts is that they are relatively short so you might be able to squeeze them in every now and then. Since having kids I workout at home. I have a nice garage gym set up and I can do all of my workouts at home. So if you are not currently working out at home you only need a few pieces of equipment and then you will be up and running. Right now I work out in the morning so that it doesn't take any time away from family time.

Good luck with your new little one.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Dean Whittle

Profile:

G'day,

My first was born August 26 (3wks today...) weighing in at a monster 4.135kg (9lbs).

I've managed to maintain a semblance of training throughout, albeit irregular and not like the 3-4 times a week pre-baby.

We're still sorting out a routine that works best for him and us but at the moment the only consistent time for me to train is in the afternoons, so I take that when I can.

All the best to the new Dads, I'm loving it!

Regards
Old 09-16-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Tim Crawford

Profile:

First step: Don't beat yourself up about it
Second step: Enjoy the little guy, as you and mommy are his entire world right now.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
Tim McFarland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Crawford View Post
First step: Don't beat yourself up about it
Second step: Enjoy the little guy, as you and mommy are his entire world right now.
Hey! You just got a new 4 kg wallball!

just kidding...