CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Christopher Moore

Profile:
Best MMA for police officers

Just wanted to get a few opinions on the best MMA method for police officers. I would like to learn more about grappling/ground defense because 9 times out of 10 me and the suspect end up on the ground trying to cuff him. However I do think it would be good to know some proper striking skills. All opinions would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Polo Lopez

Profile:
Re: Best MMA for police officers

Hey Chris,

MMA is a sport and even though guys are taught how to fight in the ring/cage using different techniques, it's not something I would recommend for police. How do I know? I spent 10 years working as a police officer, a few of those years on a pro-active unit working the projects, search warrants, undercover, blah, blah, blah.
I've trained Bjj for nearly 8 years under Luiz Palhares. He has worked all over the world training police, Rangers, SF, Seals, and other Special OPs units. I have found jiu-jitsu to be the best martial art to use on the street. I have practiced and taught Muay Thai as well. However, with today's criminal complaining about every little thing officer's do, it behooves you to keep the striking to a minimum. I've been in front of OPA (internal affairs) more times than I would like. I've never been found guilty of excessive force.
I'm a small guy, 152 lbs 5'8". Most dope dealers laugh when I would try to arrest them but they always went to jail. Rarely did I need assistance, not that I wouldn't have liked it, I just usually found myself, by myself.
There are lots of martial arts and each has their fine points, but for me, jiu-jitsu worked the best. If you go to a real jiu-jitsu school they will teach you lots of Gracie self-defense and that's what I used to get the job done. There is also Vale Tudo which uses strikes on the ground. How you strike on the ground on the street is way different then what you see in the ring. Mario Sperry made several DVDs about it.
Hope that helps. Any other questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you for all you do. Please stay safe and watch your six.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:23 PM   #3
Stefan Borovina

Profile:

I am not a police officer but I do study Judo with a few of them. Two of them are dan grades, and they both often comment how Judo has never failed them on the street. They find it useful because it deals with controling the balance and movement of your opponent, much like you would when making an arrest I imagine.

I think that something like judo is better than MMA in general because in theory you want to make an arrest by controling the perps' body rather than striking him. I am certainly not entering the "my martial art is better than your martial art" domain, but an emphasis on grappling makes sense. BJJ would be beneficial as well. I think if you want to get nitty gritty however Judo's emphasis on standing is more useful than BJJ's focus on ground techniques.

Just my thoughts. I would love to hear what others have to say.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
Polo Lopez

Profile:

I agree with Stephen. Judo is perfect for street defense, however, when you have a gun on your hip, there are some takedowns you want to avoid. A policeman should never turn away when dealing with someone. Unfortunately, the bad guys practice too. We have found videos of Bjj, and misc martial arts laying on the coffee tables of some defendants residences we've served search warrants.
Judo would be great to learn to help you with control on the feet. Any good jiu-jitsu school will work on Judo. We practice at least 3 x times wk and that's when we don't have a fight coming up. Gracie jiu-jitsu covers many aspects for police combat tactics. Just let the instructor know why you want to train and they should lead on the original Gracie jiu-jitsu path not the sport jiu-jitsu.
As well, Tony Blauer teaches some very good techniques and his theories make a world of sense.

Last edited by Polo Lopez; 06-16-2008 at 11:43 PM..
Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Shane Rapp

Profile:

I'd say Brazilian or Japanese JJ would probably be the best thing unless you can find a good catch wrestling instructor (not likely). Judo and sambo would be ok too. In my opinion, any good school would teach the real world self-defense techniques of the art beside the sport aspects. I think the big drawback to each of these styles, if you choose to take one of them, is the gi. Make sure you get in some training without the gi because you don't know what your opponent will be wearing in the street and some BJJ and a lot of Judo techniques don't work on someone who isn't wearing a gi or some other form of thick clothing.

Striking might be good to learn for the defense aspect but, as was previously said, I hope you don't open a new legal can of worms with that. Of course, if it ever gets to the point you need to strike the perp I'd hope the law in the area you work in would back you up. If you choose to look into a striking art as well I'd go with Muay Thai or boxing. I've seen some forms of karate that worked well but it varies so much from school to school I can't recommend it.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Scott Ponte

Profile:

I agree with the above posters. However I have a new suggestion.

Krav Maga. Its not an art, and there are no compeitions. Its a no-rules street fighting, self defense system mad specifically for the IDF (Israeli Defence Force).

When fighting for your life Krav is really a great system. Eye gouges, groin kicks, throat punches etc. There is also ground fighting, striking, kicks, grappling, joint manipulation etc. Its a complete system.

I train in both Krav Maga and BJJ. Almost half my class are cops, border patrol, LEO's, fire fighters etc. As you get up into the later levels they also teach you knife defense, gun defense, gun tactics, stick defense, long rifle, etc.

If you have any more questions about it please shoot me a PM. Give it a try its an awesome system.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Larry A Henrikson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ponte View Post
I agree with the above posters. However I have a new suggestion.

Krav Maga. Its not an art, and there are no compeitions. Its a no-rules street fighting, self defense system mad specifically for the IDF (Israeli Defence Force).

When fighting for your life Krav is really a great system. Eye gouges, groin kicks, throat punches etc. There is also ground fighting, striking, kicks, grappling, joint manipulation etc. Its a complete system.

I train in both Krav Maga and BJJ. Almost half my class are cops, border patrol, LEO's, fire fighters etc. As you get up into the later levels they also teach you knife defense, gun defense, gun tactics, stick defense, long rifle, etc.

If you have any more questions about it please shoot me a PM. Give it a try its an awesome system.
Yes. With a good instructor, like the one I had, he'll teach you all the advanced stuff from the get go. It's a killer workout too.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #8
Dean Whittle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ponte View Post
Krav Maga.

Eye gouges, groin kicks, throat punches etc. There is also ground fighting, striking, kicks, grappling, joint manipulation etc. Its a complete system.
Krav Maga is a good approach, but I would have thought that this kind of training would get most police officers into trouble regarding excessive force?

Given that the average officer would be more likely to require control and restraint tactics I would agree that grappling arts such as judo, jujutsu, catch etc would be suit a person who is looking for long term martial art study. For short term skill acquisition I'd recommend ISR Matrix (www.isrmatrix.org).

For those officers in special operation type roles, then striking and 'dirty' tactics are a must.

With respect
Old 06-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
Gary Lewis

Profile:

I've trained some BJJ with some of my partners who have had formal gracie training. Its a great workout and very beneficial. I have to go with Lopez's suggestion about Blauer Tactical. Its law enforcement specific and the ground combatives course is one of the best LEO trainings I have attended. His lead instructor Tony Torres puts on a great class and is well versed in law enforcement combat.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #10
Ronnie Boose

Profile:

Your answer is in your question. MMA by definition encompasses a variety of martial arts. You don't need to be na expert in a specific style but you should be proficient an a few. If I were to pick 3 for LEO it would be Krav, Judo and BJJ. Just like CF, you want to be able to perform in any arena. Sometimes you don't get to choose the arena. The problem is not usually skill when it comes to a confrontation it's familiarity and confidence.