CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #11
Larry Barnum

Profile:
It just keeps dribbling out. I figured you had
gone to a sports injury doctor, who usually has
a complete program.

Now, you mention that he left physical therapy as an option, and you don't like it.

You'll find that one-leg bicycling is an excellent method for recovery. Now, before you throw another post, if he was talking about one-legged bicyling, i.e., riding your bike with one leg. Not a stationary bike, but by using the one leg only. The body is forced to work harder, compensating for imbalance. I'm sure you have tried this sometime, it works well.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #12
Steven Becker

Profile:
If anyone knows musculature I think the muscle that is much smaller through very unscientific observation is the vastus medialis. The rest of the legs seem the same.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
Jordan Dotson

Profile:
Just a question Steven:

How good does your leg feel right now? I mean, really...how much can you do?

...cause you're only three months removed from freakin' ACL surgery man! This is the worst sports injury possible! Virtually guarantees 1 year on the sidelines. If I remember correctly from when my buddy blew his out playing ball in college (completely ruining his outside shot at a pro career) it was 3 months before he started light jogging, & 6 months before he started just going through the motions of playing ball again.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd still be doing the ungodly boring rehab exercises & liiiight jogging, then later progressing first to low weight two leg exercises, because (maybe I'm not informed enough) but I'd rather not put a less than 100% surgically repaired knee in unstable, weightbearing positions until I'm 100% comfortable doing so.
Found this great quote from Drew Carter, wideout for the Panthers: "The thing about it that people forget is that torn ACLs don't really take your speed away," said Carter. "Speed doesn't come from your knees. It comes from your hamstrings. It comes from your quads, your hips. So basically, my speed never went away. It was just a matter of getting my knee strong."
....which to me implies that it's pretty dang easy for post-ACL rehabbers to be overconfident about their capabilities.

I'd just hate to see you get hurt again man...good luck!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
Jamaal Dixon

Profile:
ACL regab has come along way but 3 months post, you should really watch what you do you NEED to go and do some PT or get directions on what you can and can't do over the next 3-4 weeks this might not be the time to push it
Old 12-07-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
What ever you do, skip the leg extension machine. It's only good at increasing your further risk of injury.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:36 AM   #16
Chris Williams

Profile:
Steve, a word of advice from someone who pushed his acl rehab too hard, and now needs another repair...the repaired acl actually weakens for the first few weeks/ months after surgery while the tissues knit into place etc.

So whatever you do, take it easy for the first few months, and work your way up to some of the harder exercises listed above. As you are a X-fit devotee, taking it easy will be tough, but it is not as bad has having another surgery and another year out.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #17
John Velandra

Profile:
Steven,
Regardless what many of us feel in regards to a lot of the PT out there, it is still something to do. First, you're checking the block in case something does happen in the future, you'll be covered. Next, regardless of protocols or methodologies, you might get something out of it. You'll always get a chance to learn. Now, with that, don't just simply have them watch and count (if they do even that)... challenge them. Question them - "why this and not that?" "What about this exercise?" "Why not?? I read this..."

Force them to educate and do more than 'observe'.... surprisingly, they might enjoy the challenge and really throw themselves into it!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #18
Steven Becker

Profile:
Thanks, I'm going to make a pt appt and see where I am at and take your advice
Old 12-15-2006, 07:50 AM   #19
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
steven,
had acl reconstruction about 3 years ago, stuck with the pt for about 3 months although i continued with the exercises prescribed by the pt protocol for several more months. i have no problems even with the limited range of motion exercises etc.

at any rate, what you'll find (as i'm sure you already have) is that your acl acts as a lever for certain muscles, when it tore the lever was removed so certain muscles atrophied (the vmo for example), and others strengthened to compensate, especially if you went for a while before electing to have surgery. the pt is designed to compensate.

i have to openly disagree with lincoln however on the exercises-while the exercises he mentioned are excellent and should be part of your program to prevent later injury at more advanced stages of your pt, the first thing you need to do is exercises to get your muscles back in balance so to minimize extra sheering forces on the acl and help prevent re-injury (it is worth looking in medical literature to see the healing process of the ligament, why it takes so long to heal, and why you should avoid putting it under heavy loads until cleared to do so). i also found that as strong as my involved leg got during physical therapy (70% of the exercises were with one leg), the dominant leg was still stronger with respect to walking, etc as that is a fairly specific type of strength and the one you need to concern yourself with in later stages of pt.

that said, muscular imbalance is not the only thing to worry over-the nerves are severed during the surgery and have to grow back, and nerve connections with the new acl are established. the acl attachment point is now different, so you will feel like your knee has basically forgotten how to function. your pt will prescribe balance exercises and several other clever means of torture to help reestablish these connections and force your body to relearn how to function.

all that to say, go to the physical therapist. it is not simply an insurance scam, most insurance companies will base the amount of time you are funded for pt on your age and occupation. if they don't think you have a need for it, they will cut funding at the earliest opportunity, so if they are willing to pay, take advantage.

good luck with your recovery, hope to see you on the boards soon.