CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #21
Victor Putz

Profile:
Re: Reflective musings on first trip to America.

Jonathan--

To be fair, you (and Dean in his post) visited pleasant tourist locations, which are likely to be filled with chatty people out to have a good time. I could say much the same about England actually--moving to Oxford and being surrounded by university life, I find the English to be open, social, and vibrant compared to several areas of the US that I've been in! Of course, get out of the city center and "tourist locations" and you find people to be a bit more closed.

Actually, I've visited Sandbach (we have a couple friends there) and quite like it as a pleasant village!

You do have a point about "casual socialization" (waving hello on the street, that sort of thing) which I think comes from a need to give people a bit more space here--in the US midwest, particularly more rural areas, I find people to be a lot more casually social (even stopping as you pass strangers and striking up a conversation) than in, say, DC (where if someone stops to strike up a conversation it may be a good idea to back away without meeting their eyes... almost kidding!).

At any rate, glad you liked it!
Old 07-04-2008, 05:52 AM   #22
Dean Whittle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Putz View Post
you visited pleasant tourist locations, which are likely to be filled with chatty people out to have a good time.
Victor,

This is true, except my wife and I weren't interacting with other people on holidays (who were relaxed and chatty), we were talking with locals. Admittedly, for the most part, they are paid to be nice and chatty to us (as paying customers) ... but I can tell you that they were still alot better at being friendly and pleasant than most Australians in service/hospitality industries, who think they are doing the customer a favour by serving them ... which was also our experience in the UK, Italy, and to a certain extent Paris (but not as much as I expected, in fact for the most part the Parisians we met were very nice).

I'm looking forward to heading back to Hawaii at some stage, and hopefully onto the mainland.

Regards
Old 07-04-2008, 05:54 AM   #23
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

It's certainly true that going to Kissimmee and the main tourist hotspots doesn't really give you a comprehensive view of America. Then again, university was - in my experience - a vastly more socially interactive experience than everyday life outside of it, so maybe it works both ways...
Still, I've been on holidays within the UK before, as well as Spain, Greece, France, Germany, and a few others, and while nobody was exactly frosty, the people just weren't as warm. Maybe it is just social niceties, but I'll gladly take that over no manners whatsoever!
Here's a thought - in a way, I did have a broad view of American people, because those holidaying in the area were from all over the place (we made a hobby of checking out the license plates - so much more colourful and varied than ours!) and everyone seemed to be pretty nice. As a case in point, one day when we were in the lift of our hotel, heading back upstairs with an elderly man accompanying us (not literally) the lift stopped and a bunch of big, tough-looking black guys got in, decked out in medallions and suchlike, carrying an impressively large amount of beer. In the UK, this would result in deathly silence, but the old guy actually got talking to them and they all had a laugh about something or other, then he wished them a good party! Crazy.

Finally, no, Sandbach isn't bad at all - though I do miss living in Chester, where I was before we moved here. It's just that the little Aldi isn't exactly Walmart... (sob) and there's no Ihop.... (double sob)...
Old 07-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #24
Anthony Dubis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Americans are chattier and more social to strangers than most Europeans. It's shallow (just social niceties) but it is nice.
Interesting you say so. I remember a conversation with a fraternity brother from France who said that friends really don't mix in each other's social circles in Europe, whereas us Americans try to expand our circle of friends as much as possible. Interesting cultural differences..
Old 07-06-2008, 09:07 PM   #25
Matt Thomas

Profile:

About the whole being "Disney-fied" thing. Take it from someone who lives here. It wears off real quick and Orlando becomes just another place
Old 07-06-2008, 09:59 PM   #26
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
About the whole being "Disney-fied" thing. Take it from someone who lives here. It wears off real quick and Orlando becomes just another place
To be honest, apart from the odd Disney coach and t-shirt, I didn't see a single pair of mouse ears until we actually went to Disneyworld near the end of the second week. So I didn't find it to be 'Disney-fied' at all, really.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #27
Bruce Duco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Whittle View Post

I'm looking forward to heading back to Hawaii at some stage, and hopefully onto the mainland.

Regards
Come to New Orleans. We want and need all the money you have to spend!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #28
Dean Whittle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Duco View Post
Come to New Orleans. We want and need all the money you have to spend!
We'll see how things work out ...

Regards
Old 07-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #29
Ryan McGrotty

Profile:

The whole "service is better in the USA" thing always confuses me. I've heard the same thing from just about everyone I know who's visited Europe, in that quite a few countries just don't really care about service standards. Like, waiting 20 minutes for a waiter to take your order, etc... You would think that businesses would be able to stand out and attract more customers by having a higher level of service than the competition, no?
Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #30
David Wood

Profile:

Weird, because I can honestly say I've almost never encountered this.

Maybe I just travel in an "American bubble" (because the majority of my time in Europe is on business), but I have encountered rude/slow service *less* often in Europe than in America (if anything) (and I've been in most Western, and some Eastern European countries in the last 5 years).

(On the other hand, in the US, I live in New Jersey, which may have something to do with how often I encounter rude/slow service here.)