CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Reflective musings on first trip to America.

WIth the responisbility of choice comes the responsiblity of consequences. If you are given the choice and screw up, don't expect someone else to take care of you. If you aren;t given the choice, how can anyone expect you to be responsible.

I read that article, and I don't understand why the author would think more guns are more dangerous. If everyone is armed, you better make damn sure that the reason your going to escalate to violence is worth it. It's not a simple brawl with a black eye or some broken bones, it's dead.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #12
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Besenyei View Post
Damn Bob, that's a loaded statement. Not gonna get into it, just wanted to point that out, and say I completely disagree with you.
James, I should clarify, because my statement really didn't read well. Yes, very loaded, but not intentionally so.

I have traveled a LOT around the world during my military time, and a LOT around this country otherwise. I love this country, I love it's people, I love our freedoms. I only meant that our freedom does tend to be viewed as arrogance and our response to the criticism of "American Arrogance" is usually something less than useful. For instance I've heard too often from fellow Americans: "stupid foreigners" or "don't like it? ...then leave." While I don't agree with the first example, I do agree with the principle in the second, if only communicated better.

That's just an example of what I meant. This could be a thread that gets too political and not for this board. But I just wanted to clarifiy that I'm not a blame-America-first guy, I bleed Red White and Blue, but if you cut me to find out, expect an @ss-whoopin'......
Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I read that article, and I don't understand why the author would think more guns are more dangerous. If everyone is armed, you better make damn sure that the reason your going to escalate to violence is worth it. It's not a simple brawl with a black eye or some broken bones, it's dead.
It all comes down to the fact that gun laws don't keep guns out of the hands of criminals - they just apply to the local gun shops that sell to mostly law-abiding citizens. What's more, when the criminals get the guns (or knives, iron bars, or whatever), the police simply cannot show up fast enough to save you. You have to be able to help yourself and those around you.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #14
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
James, I should clarify, because my statement really didn't read well. Yes, very loaded, but not intentionally so.

I have traveled a LOT around the world during my military time, and a LOT around this country otherwise. I love this country, I love it's people, I love our freedoms. I only meant that our freedom does tend to be viewed as arrogance and our response to the criticism of "American Arrogance" is usually something less than useful. For instance I've heard too often from fellow Americans: "stupid foreigners" or "don't like it? ...then leave." While I don't agree with the first example, I do agree with the principle in the second, if only communicated better.

That's just an example of what I meant. This could be a thread that gets too political and not for this board. But I just wanted to clarifiy that I'm not a blame-America-first guy, I bleed Red White and Blue, but if you cut me to find out, expect an @ss-whoopin'......
Right on Bob. For my part, I apologize for jumping the gun. My gut instinct, unfortunately, nowadays is to read or hear such statements and feel nothing but antipathy. I guess I've been trained to believe by mass media that more & more American citizens really dislike their country and do indeed blame America first. Your clarification is very reasonable, I thank you for it and for your service to this country.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Dean Whittle

Profile:

I've got to agree with the OP on this one, my wife and I visited the US for the first time in Sept 07 (Hawaii) and we loved it. The friendliness of the people, the high level of customer service that we experienced across the board (shops, hotels, restaurants, bars etc) was just second to none. It was almost disappointing to come home. Needless to say the weather, beautiful beaches, other local attractions (volcanoes, Pearl Harbour, Aloha shirts etc) and the great exchange rate added to our enjoyment.

We had such a great time that a month after returning we booked another trip there and visited again in May 08. And we'll head there again soon, we just love that 'island lifestyle'.

Regards
Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Americans are chattier and more social to strangers than most Europeans. It's shallow (just social niceties) but it is nice.
I do it. Not to be nice but because that's how I am. I often find out interesting stuff about people I never would've known! It's actually fun to me.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I was on a plane coming back from new mexico and ended up talking a very cool german fellow who was on a trip across PA, NY, OH area. I also talked to 1-12 year old coming back from football camp. He made up this crazy story about his squishy doll, ninjas and magic powers, it was so trippy.

The more you talk to people, the better time you have.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
Jonathan Slater

Profile:

That's an interesting article, it's quite correct about the feeling of safety - another thing that surprised us. Take the teenagers for example, in Florida some of those we saw actually held the door open for us (!) and said 'you're welcome' after we thanked them for it! Back here you're more likely to have the door dropped in your face.

As for the gun issue, I think it's blown out of proportion, in a way. In the U.S., both the criminals and the law-abiding folk can have guns, which levels the playing field somewhat. Over here, the criminals have whatever weapons they want, while we are allowed nothing with which to defend ourselves. That's part of the culture of fear that goes on here - you can't realistically defend yourself (unless you're an expert in such things) against a knife-wielding thug, and even if you tried, chances are you'd be arrested for assault and the other guy would be compensated for his injury. The British legal system is seriously messed up. At least in the U.S. it's accepted that any sane person will probably try to defend himself when the alternative is a fatal stabbing.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #19
James Besenyei

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Slater View Post
That's an interesting article, it's quite correct about the feeling of safety - another thing that surprised us. Take the teenagers for example, in Florida some of those we saw actually held the door open for us (!) and said 'you're welcome' after we thanked them for it! Back here you're more likely to have the door dropped in your face.

As for the gun issue, I think it's blown out of proportion, in a way. In the U.S., both the criminals and the law-abiding folk can have guns, which levels the playing field somewhat. Over here, the criminals have whatever weapons they want, while we are allowed nothing with which to defend ourselves. That's part of the culture of fear that goes on here - you can't realistically defend yourself (unless you're an expert in such things) against a knife-wielding thug, and even if you tried, chances are you'd be arrested for assault and the other guy would be compensated for his injury. The British legal system is seriously messed up. At least in the U.S. it's accepted that any sane person will probably try to defend himself when the alternative is a fatal stabbing.
Interesting POV legally. The UK is often singled out by American Leftists as a great country where few gun deaths occur...the only problem is that the percentage of deaths by knife and blunt objects is sky high compared to the US (we have more guns but we have a hell of a lot more people too). I think that a criminal has a hell of a lot more to think about here in the states when he is comtemplating a crime with a deadly weapon b/c he does not know what the other guy may have (could be a .44 magnum!!). Right on.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #20
Jason David

Profile:

Please stop talking about guns and/or gun control in this post.