CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
Dean Whittle

Profile:
Re: Striking Hard Surfaces?

Heavy bag work is also great for ensuring proper structural intergrity for your strikes (bone and body alignment) and developing confidence in the power of your strikes.

With respect
Old 05-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Shaun Stoeger

Profile:

I first started hitting a heavy bag with gloves when I boxed in the Army. After a few years, I wanted to prepare myself for real-world combat and took the gloves off. Hitting the heavy bag with handwraps protects your knuckles from scraping and cuts, protects your wrists, and allows you to build up being able to hit the bag harder and harder without gloves. Eventually, you get rid of the handwraps and just work the bag. Like someone else mentioned, that process took me YEARS.

If you can give a decent heavybag (not those waterbags) your best, bare-knuckled or wrapped, and not sustain injury, you probably can hit a man hard enough to drop him or at least make him think twice. Like Dean pointed out, hitting a bag without padding instantly give you feedback on impropper structural alignment.

Old-time boxers used to use Pickle Brine to toughen thier hands like Kung Fu guys use Dit Dat Jow. Give it a shot if thats your thing.

(Buffu Ikkan, Dean!)
Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
Dean Whittle

Profile:

Boxing gloves are a great starting point if you're just beginning to hit a heavy bag, but they cover up a multitude of sins (knuckle placement, wrist alignment etc) which can come back and bite you if you ever have to hit someone for real. So I think Shaun's progression (from gloves to wraps to bare knuckle) is a good one for preparing for real life.

My only suggestion would be to insert mma gloves in between the boxing gloves and wraps. Just as an effort to get out of boxing gloves quicker and minimise the possibliity of injury/abrasions in jumping down to wraps.

(Ninpo Ikkan Shaun ... )

With respect
Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Jason Galvan

Profile:

If you are serious about putting time into this art form, your hands will earn the right to be called deadly weapons. The next time your at the store go pick up a coconut and imagine breaking it with one strike. If it sounds like something you would like to do (coconut is 3x harder than your skull), then go check out www.karatebreaking.com and just to read up and on the art. When your ready to start training you can get some great iron palm bags, dit da jow and instruction dvds at www.shenmartialarts.com.

Oh, and beware of Jim Lacy at ironpalm.com..... most people on various boards and on youtube think he's a fake and a swindler but I won't make any claims. The guy can break coconuts so if he's a fake, he's a good one.

Happy training.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Markus Halbedl

Profile:

i have heard that the Thai punch and kick banana trees. I'm not sure if that is a lot like hitting a palm tree or not, but seeing as you live in florida as well palm trees aren't too hard to find. i have some in the back yard. I was thinking of going out and shadow boxing them.