CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 05-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:
Dit Da Jow

I recently started working out with kettlebells and taking Krav Maga, so of course bruising has become an issue. Particularly I get I lot of bruises on my forearms from the kettlebells. I had heard someone mention dit da jow as a remedy for bruises. I was wondering which one would be good for bruising on my arms and where to get a good dit da jow. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Isaac Mann-Silverman

Profile:
Re: Dit Da Jow

Dit da jow (die da jiu in mandarin) is REALLY best if you make it yourself. It takes about six months of brewing to become really effective, and only gets better with ages.

As for its uses, it is good for impact trauma, so bruising and redness from striking/kettlebells/tumbling/etc.

The best stuff I have found to buy is from kamwo.com (wfs), check out their zheng gu tui na section. The book they sell, Tooth From the Tiger's Mouth, also has a lot of good advice from a very experienced practitioner.

Don't hurt yourself (too much),

Isaac
Old 05-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

I have some "Iron Hand Liniment" from Black Dog, see link:

http://www.mtntools.com/cat/boulder/bdog_liniment.htm

W/F/S

I think works. The Chinese have some great stuff for natural health, just never know what's in the bottle.

Agree about making your own, but you need some stuff now. I did talk to the company selling it, they say that it's the bomb for climbers, who are always messing up ligaments and tendons.

Good luck.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I would check your form on the kb stuff, I bruised the first week, and then it went away. I'm not saying it's bad, but I would certianly evaluate it.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Carlo Mattia

Profile:

Eva
quick question bruises from kettlebell exercises which ones?
snatch and cleans correct?
if so try starting move with thumb pointing toward your heel as you progress throughout the movement turn your thumb up this allows the bell to rotate around your wrist and not slam into it by the time you get to the top of the snatch(around head height) the bell should be already over your hand
and if its the clean once the bell gets about waist height it should be around the wrist
good luck!
smooth technique not dit da jow
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

I actually tend to bruise easily. Initially I even got bruises just from the kettlebell resting on my arm in the rack position and during presses. I know my technique needs some work, but for now I just want to get rid of the bruises I have already gotten. That's why I am looking into dit da jow. I appreciate the responses so far. In the future I may try making my own jow, but I need something that I can use fairly soon. Suggestions on which and where to buy dit da jow are most helpful.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Barry Cooper

Profile:

Old school weightlifters used to have forearm protectors. Would a soccer shin guard work?

I will second as well that bruising is often a result of not catching the swing in the right place. I still can't do cleans without bruising, so I don't do them, but I can do tons and tons of snatches without any problem. You just have to sort of punch through to keep it from going up, over, then slam. The impact should not be too hard.

Actually, one other thing: for women the kettlebells are often small, so the ball is small, so the point of impact is small. This would bruise me. I hate snatches with the 1 pood kettlebells. They hurt more than the 2 pood kettlebells. There is a brand--somebody will chime in who it is--of kettlebells that are all the same size, to prevent this problem. They are a tad pricey, but likely worth the money.

The solution is not Chinese herbology, in all likelihood. The shin guards, or something like it, might be the best bet. There is no fitness benefit to large bruises.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Dean Whittle

Profile:

Eva,

You might find dit da jow from a Chinese herbalist, your local martial arts supplier or possibly a Chinese martial arts school.

Regards
Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
Joshua Ortegon

Profile:

THE JUICE as i like to call it is AWESOME..swear by it i roll a lot and have gotten bruises from the newbies and even some deep contussions and THE JUICE is applyed by my massage guy and it is THE DEAL!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #10
Eva Bigongiari

Profile:

Again, I understand that the idea is to avoid getting bruises in the first place. I get them even when the kb is just resting on my arm during presses. However, I would like to get rid of the bruises I already have. They're not huge contusions, but they aren't very attractive either. I'm not asking about dit da jow because I think it will make up for my poor beginner technique. I only want the bruises I have to go away.

Joshua,
What is this "Juice" you are talking about?