CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #71
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:
Re: 14.3 tips and strageties. Jump or step?

I was pleasantly surprised, I feel pretty good, now two days out. I think it really matters how your form maintained throughout. I saw a few people really rounding and just yanking up those last reps, vs. others who still looked really good and tight even on the heaviest. Not that it's not totally understandable, definitely take your time getting back into it.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #72
Joe Wannebo

Profile:

Before I started this WOD I did 15 rebound box jumps and 15 step-up / Jump downs and my step ups where actually faster and took much less energy....so I went with the approach that I would step up the entire time. Last time I maxed out on deads it was 425lbs.

I felt strong all the way through 225. I could have broke up 225 a little more but ultimately I dont know if it would have helped much in the long run. 275lbs felt SOOOHEAVY! I basically had to do singles the whole rest of the way. It was hell! I ended with 114 reps and I'm frightened to even attempt it again in the fear of hurting myself or just being too stiff not fully recovered.....

The only way I could see doing better is by going MUCH slower in the beginning and just try to keep your foot on the gas.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #73
Price Goosby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wannebo View Post
Before I started this WOD I did 15 rebound box jumps and 15 step-up / Jump downs and my step ups where actually faster and took much less energy....so I went with the approach that I would step up the entire time. Last time I maxed out on deads it was 425lbs.

I felt strong all the way through 225. I could have broke up 225 a little more but ultimately I dont know if it would have helped much in the long run. 275lbs felt SOOOHEAVY! I basically had to do singles the whole rest of the way. It was hell! I ended with 114 reps and I'm frightened to even attempt it again in the fear of hurting myself or just being too stiff not fully recovered.....

The only way I could see doing better is by going MUCH slower in the beginning and just try to keep your foot on the gas.
That's how I was. When I got to my 5th rep on 225 I just started screaming in my head "How are you so heavy suddenly?!"
Old 03-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #74
Joe Wannebo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Konieczny View Post
Whom else Back is till sore/hurting them from this workout?

I wore a belt, got 1 rep into the 315, 131 reps and had decent form ...and I can't even think about working out today.

A lot of foam rolling and heating pad.

Frustrated...this is what I was afraid of, being 36 years old...this stuff isnt getting easier
I couldnt agree more! I wore a belt and even after looking at my video I kept good form but I still am sore! Great Job! My goal was to reach 315 deads even if I couldnt do any of them at that point lol.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #75
Alex Romero

Profile:

Quote:

I wore a belt, got 1 rep into the 315, 131 reps and had decent form ...and I can't even think about working out today.

Frustrated...this is what I was afraid of, being 36 years old...this stuff isnt getting easier
You sound like me, except I'm 38 and couldn't get through the 275's. I went unbroken through 135, 185, broke up 225 10/10. I had 3 minutes left by the time I got to 275. 275 is not an overly heavy deadlift for me, but the lower back was screaming by the time I got there and every single rep was a battle. Ended up with 106 and didn't hurt myself. I'll take it
Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 AM   #76
Clifton Mack

Profile:

I got 130 reps, had 15 seconds to change the weights to 315 and didn't attempt to change the plates. Just watched time run out which I now regret. I am satisfied with my score, had a plan and stuck to it. 1st two rounds 10(135),15,15(185),15 were as fast as possible totally unbroken. Then I did 12-8 at 225lb DL and step ups to regain energy for 275. I did all sets of 5s at 275. If I did it again I would try to get bigger sets at 275 so I could have more time to get some 315 reps. I will not be doing it again though.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #77
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:

Did you stretch and foam roll immediately after the workout? I did that and didn't have too much soreness from it, but I felt the burn a lot more in my hamstrings and quads than I did in my back. I also only made it 12 reps into the 275s so that's a lot of extra work you did.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #78
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Wore a belt, which I tightened at 225# (likely did not need to). I am 37 so recovery is always a little longer. Did it yesterday and I am sore, no different than any other time I have done heavier deads.

I video'd my go. The reps looked better at 315# than they felt. I pulled 7 in about 45-50s though. I really farted around loading the weights at 315# too, not sure why I slowed down so much. The last 6 reps at 275 was burtal.

I also spent some time on the AD and rower after I finished, that seesm to have helped. No doubt I am sore today but not too bad.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #79
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price Goosby View Post
That's how I was. When I got to my 5th rep on 225 I just started screaming in my head "How are you so heavy suddenly?!"
Yep. Normally 225 doesn't feel that bad... might be able to get a set of 20 if I was completely fresh. But I broke up the set into 5/5/5/5 and my legs were burning
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #80
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I broke up all of my reps, intentionally, just to try and feel as fresh as possible for heavier weights. 135 was straight through, then I did sets of 5 the rest of the time, even if the breaks were REALLY short. 275 was harder than I thought it was going to be, though, and only finished 16.

275 is usually where I start my actual DL warm-ups. I will do 225x2-3 reps and then 275x2-3 reps. I've opened Lumberjack 20, unbroken. Something was just harder about this WOD. I could have forced my body to do more reps at 275, but I can't sacrafice form for points that aren't going to get me anywhere.

I feel like it would be easier to re-injure myself, after an injury has already happened (I tore a muscle in my back doing some light power cleans with junky form that will flare up).

I did it on Friday and my back is still sore, where it should be sore, as of now. I wish I would have taken the time to learn to deadlift, like I do now, in 2009... I remember deadlift days = really achy lower back/spine region. Now it is more of a mid-back soreness.