CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
John Holcombe

Profile:
Let's talk Airdyne!!

I just picked one up over the weekend on Craigslist. It's one of the older Schwinn models with the big wheel. I don't have much experience biking and I had never used an airdyne before, but I heard how awesome they are for conditioning and intervals.

I used it on both Saturday and Sunday just to get a feel for it, mostly looking at RPMs. I did several rounds of intervals going hard for 20 seconds and then resting 40 seconds. I found that a comfortable/recovery pace for me is 40 RPMs, a moderate pace is 50 RPMs and an all out sprint pace is 60-70 RPMs. The highest RPMs I have achieved so far is 70 RPMs.

I also experimented with calories and discovered that in 1 minute of moderate use I did about 7 calories.

I'm going to post a few questions to the more experienced Airdyne users here but feel free to chime in with anything related!

1) Please share some workouts or what you like to use the airdyne for.
2) What RPM range do you use for intervals? Or do you just focus on time rather than RPMs?
3) What is the deal with this 300FY workout? If I kept that pace I tested 1 minute on for 10 minutes I would have done about 70 calories in 10 minutes. How many people actually do 300 calories in that time?
4) This thing had been sitting in storage for a while when I bought it. I lubed the chain and wiped all the dust off. Is there any other maintenance I need to do? What do you do to maintain your airdyne?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Keras Lesko

Profile:
Re: Let's talk Airdyne!!

You either overestimated your level of exertion, or your monitor is buggy. The airdyne is evil if you push yourself hard. I've never gone for the 10 minute benchmark, but I have gotten over 50 calories in a minute and couldn't walk for a few minutes after...
Old 03-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keras Lesko View Post
You either overestimated your level of exertion, or your monitor is buggy. The airdyne is evil if you push yourself hard. I've never gone for the 10 minute benchmark, but I have gotten over 50 calories in a minute and couldn't walk for a few minutes after...
I think my monitor is fine. I'm saying I went at a moderate pace probably 40-45 RPMs and that did 7 calories in a minute. That put it in perspective because I would have to hit 30 calories/minute to do the 300 in 10 minutes
Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #4
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
1) Please share some workouts or what you like to use the airdyne for.
2) What RPM range do you use for intervals? Or do you just focus on time rather than RPMs?
3) What is the deal with this 300FY workout? If I kept that pace I tested 1 minute on for 10 minutes I would have done about 70 calories in 10 minutes. How many people actually do 300 calories in that time?
4) This thing had been sitting in storage for a while when I bought it. I lubed the chain and wiped all the dust off. Is there any other maintenance I need to do? What do you do to maintain your airdyne?
1. Most importantly, recovery. It is magic for that. The feeling of extreme discomfort where no matter how you walk, lay or move your legs you just can't get the legs to "chill the F out", thats blood flow. Optimum recovery stuff there. It has no eccentric movement which is why it is golden for recovery - just like sled drags are used for recovery. I know it doesn't sound like it because of the immediate suck on the legs but it won't make you sore days after. It just doesn't do that. Do Tabata Air Squats and now we are talkin' sore. Anyway, that is my main thing.

I use it for intervals all the time. Treat it no different than your 400m repeats or C2 Rower intervals. 30on/30off for 20 minutes. 30 Cals all out, 1min rest - repeat for 5 rounds. Tabata Airdyne, etc. Tons of MMA guys use them and there are enough videos of Froning using/talking about using it in his training.

2. I use watts (maybe the same as you mean for RPM) occasionally but the 3 main things I use are Calories, Distance and Time. Sometimes I'll hit a leg day (yes I said that) finisher with 1 mile Airdyne @ 85-90% pacing.

3. 300FY is (I'm pretty sure I'm correct but who knows) a design by Mark Twight over at Gym Jones. During the filming of 300 the movie he had the actors train there to help get them into shape for their roles. I don't think he was solely responsible for that but he was part of it for a time. So Twight created this 300 workout that you may have seen/done. It was similar to filthy fifty in that it had reps that equaled up to a set number (300.) Something like 25 pull-ups, 50 box jump, 50 this, 50 that, finish with 25 pull-ups. It is all over the internet. Anyhow, people started butchering it, modifying moves, this and that and callin' it 300 saying anyone could do it - AND FASTER too! So Twight said ok, here is one that you cannot change or modify. It simply is what it is. 300 FY (with the FY standing for F@!$ You - a sort of slap back at those that butchered his first 300. It also could be FY because that is what you say to the Airdyne when you are done - no jokes.) The idea is to do 300 calories on the Airdyne in 10 straight minutes. Period. If you do it, you succeed. Otherwise, the workout failed and you lost/didn't do it/doesn't count, whatever.

All I can say is, I have tried it multiple times. So have every one of my clients. It is one of the worst things I have ever done. Beyond Filthy fifty, Fran, my full marathon with only 5 weeks of training, beyond FGB, 20 rep Back squats, etc. It is terrible. I won't exaggerate and say it compares to extreme stuff like Iditarod and Ultra endurance stuff (because I've never done that stuff) but for normal, in the gym equipment give it a shot stuff - it sucks. My best is 210ish calories I think. There is a dude that did 400+.

My advice is give it a run for 1 minute. Hold 30+ calories or be superman and go for 35-40 calories. Get off and see how you feel. Imagine that for 9 more minutes - without even considering the mental part of it all. Trust me, its legit. It is my go to workout that removes all doubt and answers all questions. Whenever someone moderately fit (it isn't for everyone as a first time thing - especially if weak mentally/confidence wise) asks "Hey what does that work? Is it different than a regular bike? How does it feel? Is it tough?" I just smile and say - lets give this 300FY thing a shot. Just do the best you can for 10 minutes. That is all I ask. When all is said and done, no more talk happens.

4. Make sure your screws and bolts are in order and ensure the wheel spins well. Otherwise, I think you are ok.

final note - I have lots of gear, equipment and they are all just tools - as is the Airdyne. However, it is one of my favorite. It does what it is supposed to do as well as just about anything, its durable and its simple. Get on and go - that is all. It modifies well with lesser fit people as well as elite and almost anyone can give it a shot. I have a client or two that constantly walks into the gym and says they will be putting my Airdyne on craigslist without me knowing. It can have that effect on people. Also, the OPT (James Fitz) guys seems to use it/like it a lot as well. Again, just a tool but one of the best ones in my arsenal.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

I have one of older Airdynes too and love it. It destroys me every time I use it for conditioning. One of my favorite workouts it Tabatas. It's short, sweet, and brutal. I use calories as a measurement.

I've also created simple couplets such as this.
3-5 rounds:
10 power cleans
20 cal. on the Airdyne.

Or this
3-5 rounds:
20 kb swings
20 cal. on Airdyne

Another good one is 30 sec. on as hard as possible/ 30 sec. rest for a total of 10 minutes.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Bryan Krachun

Profile:

Austin Malleolo posted this workout once and I saved it.
1 minute on
1 minute rest
45 seconds on
45 seconds rest
30 seconds on
30 seconds rest
15 seconds on
15 seconds rest
Repeat for 30 minutes
Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I like to this one when I'm short on time, I call it " The twenty minute Airdyne Tabata challenge of death"
2 minutes slow
4 minute Tabata
2 minutes slow
4 minute Tabata
2 minute slow
4 minute Tabata
2 minutes as fast as possible.
I score total miles, but you could do calories. To best your total you have to go faster on your breaks. It comes to a point when slow is fast, and fast isn't fast enough. 5.7 miles on my computer is my high total.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #8
John Holcombe

Profile:

Some awesome information and workouts in here! Thanks for all the replies
Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
Clint Harris

Profile:

Airdynes/Air Bikes don't all have the same power curve so it's hard to compare. Some are easier, some are harder. They all suck. Some bikes are "easier" but take longer to accumulate calories. e.g. You get on it, blast away for 60s and only get 10 cals. Others you get on it, blast away for 60s and get 30 cals. The cost for both is not the same - the latter is actually "harder". It seems counter-intuitive that the time to accumulate calories isn't directly related to difficulty - it's probably more like running a max effort mile downhill vs max 1/4 mile uphill. Which one would you rather do and which is easier? They're both going to suck balls.

Some recent CFFB workouts.

2 pood KB Swings – 100 reps
Assault Air Bike – 75 calories
Evil Wheels – 50 reps
Partition reps as you want.

Complete 8 rounds of:

Squats – 3 reps
Assault Sprint – 45 seconds

Rest 60-75 seconds between rounds.
Load at about 80% 3RM

Complete 5 rounds:

70% of 3 RM Push Press – Max reps
60 second Assault Bike Sprint – Max Calories

I've done "Beast Helen" (is what I called it).
45 cal Airdyne
21 2pd KBS
12 C2B

You can pretty much sub it in anywhere. For 400m. C2 Row. Anything. It's just really good at smoking you.

I love it for warming up too. You can alternate arms and legs.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
Brad Rasmussen

Profile:

Also, don't forget to give your Airdyne a bad !ss nick name. I call mine the "Destroyer". You'll know what I mean after a set of Tabatas!