CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-07-2014, 02:54 AM   #201
Mark Ritchie

Profile:
Re: 2014 CrossFit Open, Regionals, and Games Thread

Think of climbing on the monkey bars as a kid. Grab the bar, swing your feet up and over the bar, and grunt your chest up to the bar. It's ugly but hilarious all at once. That's why we called it a "grappling" chest to bar.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #202
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Golden View Post
I counted 9 Games athletes from last year who aren't competing this year, 4 b/c of injury and there's only one that I haven't heard any kind of explanation as to why they aren't competing
Which ones?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #203
Eric Konieczny

Profile:

it is interesting that Aja Barto has decided to focus more on just Lifting.

being that he is the tallest Games athlete ever at 6'5", he knows that he really has his work cutout for him on many movements. Yes he is Crazy strong, but for anyone over 6', moving weights fast overhead is a pain in the ***.

then comes the Gymnastics part....not in his favor. there is a reason why there are few or no tall elite gymnasts

that being said, the Open so far is really geared towards the smaller crowd.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #204
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Hsu View Post
Which ones?
Mikko-illness
Chan-injury
ZA Anderson-injury
Barto-weightlifting
Deborah Cordner Carson-pregnant
Heather Gillespie-injured
Natalie McLain-injured
Erin Light-unknown
Nicole Tainatongo-personal reasons

I'm working on a post that will go up tomorrow comparing the turnover from this year to the difference last year.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #205
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Here's what I working on, (http://thefittestblog.blogspot.com/2...uries-and.html WFS). I looked at every individual male and female athlete from 2012 to results posted for 14.1 to compare turnover from 2012-2013 and 2013-2014.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #206
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Chuck,
You hinted at it in your blog, but a 10% turnover may be a sign of CrossFit as a sport reaching full development. Competitors have pushed harder and done more work each year. A higher back injury rate may be a sign that these competitors are reaching the limits of human capacity.

(I'm not suggesting your other reasons may be wrong, as we're speculating about all of this anyway.)
Old 03-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #207
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Morris View Post
Chuck,
You hinted at it in your blog, but a 10% turnover may be a sign of CrossFit as a sport reaching full development. Competitors have pushed harder and done more work each year. A higher back injury rate may be a sign that these competitors are reaching the limits of human capacity.

(I'm not suggesting your other reasons may be wrong, as we're speculating about all of this anyway.)
That's a really good point, there are many different possibilities and at this point, with the data available to the public, I don't think there's anyway to know the exact or biggest reason for sure. I think upside is just as likely as any. Not too many people can consistently stand up to the grueling multiple WOD days that most Games level athletes put themselves through. Thanks for reading love, love the feedback
Old 03-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #208
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Quick question: On the Games app, the top of the screen shows your spot on the Leaderboard, both worldwide and regional. For example, right now mine shows "364 / 809." My question is: I keep seeing that denominator changing. First, I think I saw a huge drop, and I figured, that must have been people not submitting scores in time for 14.2. If you skip an Open WOD, is that the case, you're DQ? But then, it climbed back up some. Anyone know how the various reasons the number could change, in both directions?
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM   #209
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
Quick question: On the Games app, the top of the screen shows your spot on the Leaderboard, both worldwide and regional. For example, right now mine shows "364 / 809." My question is: I keep seeing that denominator changing. First, I think I saw a huge drop, and I figured, that must have been people not submitting scores in time for 14.2. If you skip an Open WOD, is that the case, you're DQ? But then, it climbed back up some. Anyone know how the various reasons the number could change, in both directions?
I think that shows your ranking and the second number is your total points added up (or your ranking in both of the workouts combined). If you want to see how many people are in the division and have submitted scores just sort by division and then go to the last page.

Mine shows 1693/(3596) because my ranking for the first 2 workouts was 1176 and 2420 (add those together and get 3596) but there are over 4200 people in my division.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #210
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tighe Crovetti View Post
My guess was when the new work out is released it only shows your place out of what ever number of people have submitted scores for that work out. It should go up every day until the deadline for validations. Then what ever number you see should be the final.