CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Israel Juarez

Profile:
Parking Issue

Tried searching for previous posts to this effect so I apologize beforehand if this has been previously addressed. In the process of finding a space to lease to open a new box here in So. Cal. While I know ordinances vary from city to city and state to state, I'm wondering if anyone here in CA (LA County) has run into the issue of providing the parking requirements of 6 spaces per 1000 sq.ft. of rented/leased space. Judging by many of the local affiliates around, they do NOT meet this requirement and I'm wondering what the workaround solution might be? Allegedly, this requirement is for any "Health or Fitness" type of business. We've found the perfect spot, size and location but ran into this issue much to our dismay. HAs anyone had this problem and if so, any solutions anyone can offer? Greatly appreciated.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
Mike Schinner

Profile:
Re: Parking Issue

Some options might include;
1. Seek a waiver. Inform the County that as a fitness facility, most of your members will walk, run or bike to the gym. Offer to place a bike rack. L.A., like other CA counties, is supposed to be encouraging transit first policy, and by requiring a minimum number of parking spaces, the County is only encouraging more driving.
2. Inform the County that your gym will offering mostly small classes ("personal training") so 6 spots will never be needed.
3. Point out available street parking.
4. If another business in the building or nearby has different peak hours, see if you can share the allocated parking spaces on the basis that you'll never exceed capacity.
5. Worst case, offer to rent nearby parking spaces to meet the 6.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
Frank Foehrenbach

Profile:

My box is in Monterey County in NorCal, but I had to get a use-permit and go through a parking eval. I hired an architect who did drawings which indicated what portion of the space was for retail, storage, office space, changing rooms, etc. and then what portion of the space would actually be used for working out. The parking requirements for retail, storage, office space, changing rooms, etc. should be much less than workout space.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #4
Israel Juarez

Profile:

Mike/Frank,

Thank you both for taking the time to share some great ideas with me. It never ceases to amaze me just how great this community can be by sharing personal experiences, resources and ideas. I appreciate the suggestions and hope these prove useful to my current predicament.

Best,

Israel
Old 02-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Susan Parkhurst

Profile:

If you're working with a commercial real estate agent, they should be able to provide the location's (complex) total parking spaces available. Most light industrial, commercial and flex spaces have specs on their parking spaces and how many spaces they've allotted for each unit within the complex.

I am currently in process of application for our SUP and have to supply documentation for spaces, etc. as well. We provided the city with our brochure and link to our website that states our hours of operation, showing that most of our "traffic" and parking will be taking place during our neighbors "off" hours, therefore eliminating any conflict for spaces within the complex.

While assisting other box owners with their lease, I've found that often times if the landlord is willing to state that "X" amount of parking spaces are allotted for this location, it can be helpful.

If the space you've identified IS the SPACE, then go to the city and ASK what they want and what it will take to get the approval... they usually will work with you.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Israel Juarez

Profile:

Thank you Susan!