CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:
Re: Do olympic lifters have weak hamstrings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chaney View Post
Ok obviously they aren't weak but it seems like oly is much more quad dominant and the hamstrings don't get worked much compared to sports like PL. RDLs, GMs and pulls work the posterior chain but are those movements hit frequently compared to front squats and HBBSs? Also, is balance between the quads and posterior chain necessary for a sport like oly?
How does "Weightlifting" (not oly, or oly lifting, it's just weightlifting not to be confuse with weight lifting which is simply lifting stuff to get in shape) seem quad dominant at all? You don't pull a snatch with your quads, or a huge clean. If anything weightlifters are pretty well balanced between quads and hamstrings. The majority of the power created in the snatch and clean comes from the posterior chain, not the quads. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M Hutchinson View Post
How does "Weightlifting" (not oly, or oly lifting, it's just weightlifting not to be confuse with weight lifting which is simply lifting stuff to get in shape) seem quad dominant at all? You don't pull a snatch with your quads, or a huge clean. If anything weightlifters are pretty well balanced between quads and hamstrings. The majority of the power created in the snatch and clean comes from the posterior chain, not the quads. Just my 2 cents.
That's certainly what I feel working more when I snatch or clean...
Old 07-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Oh, O-lifting is definitely quad dominant when compared to other forms of squatting. The style of squatting is why. O-lifters tend to squat with a relatively narrow stance and drive their knees forward more. In addition, the shoes have an elevated heel if I am not mistaken which places even more stress on the quads.

With that said, the best O-lifters have strong hamstrings as well.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Chris, do you have any idea what Powerlifters wear to compete in?

I know some PL people from MTSC that I'm sure I could ask or I google ST but just wondering.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Chris, do you have any idea what Powerlifters wear to compete in?

I know some PL people from MTSC that I'm sure I could ask or I google ST but just wondering.
I have seen quite a few and most of them wear Chucks.