CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:
Re: Front Squat Form

Looks good...consciously externally rotate the arms, "elbows in" (as well as up) is a decent cue. Helps a lot in keeping the thorax extended. Keep working at it and it will largely sort itself out.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Brett Valego

Profile:

pretty good. stop sticking your butt back as your first movement. push your knees apart and go straight down. when you push your butt back your torso leans forward. you want your torso as vertical as possible.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
Made my upper back considerably stronger. my Front Squat has gone up 45 Pounds in the last 3 weeks due to a stronger upper back that no longer curves forward under heavy load. It has also translated well into my High Bar Back Squat.

I bought the Spud Inc straps from Rogue. I really like them. That being said, you can make your own straps for MUCH cheaper. There are a lot of websites that give tips on how to make them. You really just need to buy some cheap webbing and can make them in a variety of ways that work well. I find longer straps work better since they will give you more fabric to grip.
Interesting! So what benefits do those straps provide mainly? They force you to keep your elbows up obviously. Would there be any benefit for someone who already has good elbows-up position?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
Interesting! So what benefits do those straps provide mainly? They force you to keep your elbows up obviously. Would there be any benefit for someone who already has good elbows-up position?
It also helps develop your upper back. It strengthens all of the muscles that cause you to surrender that awkward curve forward if the weight gets too heavy. It has done wonders for my front squats. My problem with front squats was never the leg strength, it was a disproportionately weak upper back. Switching to straps over the last little bit has boosted my squat significantly. Stronger upper back = not loosing the squat forward. Maintaining an upright position with high elbows is helping progression. The other nice thing is that if you switch back to front squats without straps (or cleans for that matter), they will be drastically improved.

-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
Om Puri

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
Here they are. Basically just attach them to the Bar. Grab the straps with a hammer fist and rotate upwards so that the bar is in a Front Rack position with the elbows nice and high. It will feel awkward at first but you will get used to it and it will make a world of difference.
(WFS):
Thanks, Matt. I finally got some straps and tried this. Didn't go heavy (5x10 @55%) but the straps seemed to help - kept me more upright. I recommend this to anyone who has upper-back rounding issues (kyphotic) during FS.