CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
William Arnold

Profile:
Finishing linears, needing strength heavy xfit

Howdy everyone, I’m going to jump strait into this now and hope that an experienced one or more of you is willing to help me out here!
5’11” 159-160 lb 7-8% BF

History: soccer player and runner all my life, was always too skinny, start lifting, various types of splits and progressions
Present: cannot for the life of me gain a pound anymore, despite wholesome and what I believe to be relatively healthy diet
Want: To be healthy 170ish. IE, gain 10 more pounds before maintaining.
Lifts: I have good form on my lifts, so these numbers are correct

1RM- Press: 135 lb 3RM- Back squat (highbar): 280lb 1RM- RDL: 400lb 5RM- DB Bench*: 90lb dumbbells
* due to right shoulder I have avoided barbell bench for a time now, so I do not have a known max and have used my DB bench press 5rm

I also do yoga

Diet: (only thing I am really worried about is the cholesterol, will be getting blood work done this month)
Yesterday I ate:
Breakfast
- 2 scrambled whole egg 2 scrambled egg, with mozzarella cheese sprinkled on top
- 8oz chocolate milk’
- 1 gluten free cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese
Snack
- 2 tbs organic crunchy peanutbutter
- 4oz diced pears
Lunch
- 2 rice/bean/cheese burritos
- 4oz strawberry greek yogurt
- red apple
Snack
- 4tbs peanutbutter
Preworkout shake
Gym
Postworkout
- 1.5 scoop whey
- 8oz chocolate milk
Snack
- 1 bowl kashi cereal
- 4oz whole milk
- 4oz chocolate milk
- 4oz grapes (green/red)
Dinner
- grilled chicken breast, broccoli, brown rice
- 4oz chocolate milk
Pre-bed snack
- 4oz steel cut Irish oats
- 2oz whole milk
- cup cottage cheese

Throughout the day I drink at least a gallon of water on top of milk consumed. I will obviously vary this diet with equivalent foods and meals. I am aware I lack vegetables, I have never been a fan.
As far as the chicken goes, I usually eat around 30g worth of portion. I swap between chicken and steak day to day. For lunch I also incorporate meat on occasion depending if I have enough time to prepare it the night before.
I do not like most fish, and do not have the patience to prepare decent tasting fish during the week anyways.
All in all, I eat at least 180-200 grams of protein a day, which I keep track of. I do not know how many carbs I intake, that s_t would take too much time for me! I get 7-9 hours of sleep every weekday night.

I am currently living in Houston until December. I re-started a linear progression last week and plan to continue it until I move back to college station, for I feel that within 2 months I will be hitting walls again, if not sooner.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________

What I would like to know, are you wonderful people’s opinions! After reading around, it seems there are a plethora of strength-crossfit love children such as CFFB, CFNE, CFSB and CF Outlaw as well as the new stuff that pops up (like http://www.misfit-training.com/ )... I plan on taking up one of these when I move in December, but which one would suit me best? I don’t play any serious sports I just play all of them for fun. I do it for fun, and what I want is a program that maintains me physically if not also improves me (but doesn’t make me lose weight like the crossfit.com WOD’s… I tried them for a few weeks and lost healthy weight even after increases in my diet). I don’t want to keep going to the gym and doing the same thing week by week because that’s boring and I don’t wish to look like a musclebound upsidedowncake (no offense to anyone, just preference) but I do want to keep exercising and looking nice and athletic.

In December I will have access to my bar/bumper plates (no rack, sadface) as well as my school gym/track.

So my apologies for unleashing this flood on you good people… and thank you a million times over for any help.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Ted Apollo

Profile:
Re: Finishing linears, needing strength heavy xfit

to be clear:

what program have you been doing?

are you still making strength gains despite not gaining weight?
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Chris Mason

Profile:

From a dietary perspective you are simply not eating enough. If you are unable to gain weight your caloric intake is too low and or you are grossly overtrained from a CNS and or skeletal muscle perspective.

As the other fellow asked, what is you current exact training regimen?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I come from a similar background and have two things to share:
1. You aren't done with linear progression. You hella' need to work on that squat. If you have shoulder pathology your bench form might not be as good as you think. Good work on the rdl's. Read some or watch some of the westside articles in the journal.
2. If you lose weight or don't gain it there are only two things happening. You either have a parasite or aren't eating enough. Try upping milk intake to 1/2 a gallon. Instead of one bagel, eat two. Add another egg to breakfast and in another week or two and one more etc. Build into eating more sand log it. Set daily goals starting at 3000 and increase as needed even if it is 5000 a day down the road.

Hope that helps. As for strength madcow 5x5 is pretty good, many like 5/3/1, Chris supports Westside. If you want to do it all so to speak gslp and cffb are tough to beat.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
William Arnold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
to be clear:

what program have you been doing?

are you still making strength gains despite not gaining weight?
I was on GSLP and got my numbers pretty high until i was resetting on all of my lifts, then moved to a more specefic split. I moved around splits for a while until i couldn't stand it anymore and my lifts went down in # so i am now back on GSLP.

In the end though GSLP and the like simply aren't enough for me (mentally) and i need something more like crossfit again to keep me satisfied. I will start to eat more and see if i can eat enough to keep gaining.

Still need to choose a program for the spring however... Bill you say people enjoy CFFB?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
From a dietary perspective you are simply not eating enough. If you are unable to gain weight your caloric intake is too low and or you are grossly overtrained from a CNS and or skeletal muscle perspective.
This is why you aren't putting on weight. I've been playing soccer this yer and I know how many calories you will burn from playing soccer. You are eating a lot, but you are burning too many calories, so you have to eat even more or just drop some of the cardio. CFFB would be the best thing for you. When you are playing soccer, just follow the in-season programming.

Also, tracking your calories for a few weeks would be a good idea just so you can see exactly how many calories you are eating and burning.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
William Arnold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
This is why you aren't putting on weight. I've been playing soccer this yer and I know how many calories you will burn from playing soccer. You are eating a lot, but you are burning too many calories, so you have to eat even more or just drop some of the cardio. CFFB would be the best thing for you. When you are playing soccer, just follow the in-season programming.

Also, tracking your calories for a few weeks would be a good idea just so you can see exactly how many calories you are eating and burning.
I don't play anymore I do no cardio these days because i am trying to gain some healthy weight... any cardio i get is from lifting or the occasional VERY short bike ride after work. My typical day - 6 am wake and go to work, sit until 4, go to gym, go home and shower, sleep at 9.

But thank you for the CFFB suggestion! I shall most likely pick it up when i exhaust whatever linear gainz i may still have.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
Clint Harris

Profile:

I can only comment about the CFNE programming as I understand it. Our gym uses it. It's a General Physical Preparedness Program (GPP) programmed/periodized with the Games as its goal. There's two different threads to it, the "competitors wod" and the "normal wod".
The competitor's wod (see right hand side of CFNE page for link) usually contains a few extra lifts and stuff in it. The normal one, directly on the CFNE site, is about 1 week behind and may not include all the lifts.
e.g. Comp Wod may be "FS, BS, Sumo DL, then 200m repeats" but the normal wod will be "BS with 200m repeats" a week later.

There's a couple of articles in the journal where Ben Burgeron talks about his programming, but here is the periodization scheme: (plug his name into journal search)

August: rest and recovery.
September and October: strength.
November and December: speed strength.
January: solely dedicated to weaknesses.
February and March: met-cons.
April and May: Regional prep.
June and July: Games prep.

So, I guess in summary, this programming will get you generally prepared for anything and you'll peak for the games in the April time frame (competitors wod). The periodization targets the games where you increase strength and mass (suffering conditioning), then work on on your weaknesses, then become a conditioned machine. That's the theory as I understand it.
This may or may not be something you want to do and I'm not plugging this over anything else .... it's just info to perhaps help you make a choice.

Why do I do follow CFNE ?
Because that's what my gym 'programs' for classes.
I do the "normal" thread with the general classes. Occasionally I will do the competitors stuff with the animals to keep someone company.

Last edited by Clint Harris; 10-03-2012 at 09:33 AM..
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
William Arnold

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Harris View Post
I can only comment about the CFNE programming as I understand it. Our gym uses it. It's a General Physical Preparedness Program (GPP) programmed/periodized with the Games as its goal. There's two different threads to it, the "competitors wod" and the "normal wod".
The competitor's wod (see right hand side of CFNE page for link) usually contains a few extra lifts and stuff in it. The normal one, directly on the CFNE site, is about 1 week behind and may not include all the lifts.
e.g. Comp Wod may be "FS, BS, Sumo DL, then 200m repeats" but the normal wod will be "BS with 200m repeats" a week later.

There's a couple of articles in the journal where Ben Burgeron talks about his programming, but here is the periodization scheme: (plug his name into journal search)

August: rest and recovery.
September and October: strength.
November and December: speed strength.
January: solely dedicated to weaknesses.
February and March: met-cons.
April and May: Regional prep.
June and July: Games prep.

So, I guess in summary, this programming will get you generally prepared for anything and you'll peak for the games in the April time frame (competitors wod). The periodization targets the games where you increase strength and mass (suffering conditioning), then work on on your weaknesses, then become a conditioned machine. That's the theory as I understand it.
This may or may not be something you want to do and I'm not plugging this over anything else .... it's just info to perhaps help you make a choice.

Why do I do follow CFNE ?
Because that's what my gym 'programs' for classes.
I do the "normal" thread with the general classes. Occasionally I will do the competitors stuff with the animals to keep someone company.
Great information, thanks!
Sounds like a good plan to me. It seems that if i were to follow it i would do the months as he has them but when the conditioning comes around, still keep it strength heavy. Since i am not preparing for any games or anything. Great information!
Old 10-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Clint Harris

Profile:

Hey William, that may work - but perhaps there are other programs out there more suited. I'm no expert, but I believe if you are serious about following a program with an end goal in mind - you follow it. If you have to change it too much then it may not be the right program for you. Maybe you need to look at a more of strength biased all the time thing. However, the "metcon" phase is also called "building a big freakin engine". It's not like it gets easy or anything - and there is still some weight involved. Perhaps at that time, you could still do a lift before the metcon but maybe go change it up to higher rep and lighter weight rather than single or 3 rep beat downs. Also make the lift the same as the main lift (if there is one) as in the wod - so you perform the metcon tired.
e.g. If the wod calls for deads, do deads beforehand. If the wod calls for no lift, but has box-jump and pull-ups, do power cleans.

That being said - I just do this stuff because I enjoy it. So what type of programming I do doesn't really matter too much to me. I play around with it, stop doing this, start with that with no real goal in mind other than "am I enjoying this at the moment". Sometimes I want to increase my BS so that's what I work on and I am focused on it. Once done, then I'll work on something else . Maybe I'll just work on running. It's just a means to keep me interested and varied. But when I do have a specific goal and plan - I do stick with it.
So programming advice from me may be all over the place and to be taken with a grain of salt (that's why I just gave information previous post, rather than a recommendation). I have added Wendler or Sheiko or SS and stuff like that into the programming and still do the metcons etc. What it usually means is that if BS+Metcon is programmed for "today" and I am doing BS in some other program - I won't do the BS or do a light Front Squat or something instead. I'll also wind back on how many days I do metcons too - or perhaps always go light. You can feel the volume too .... especially during that Sheiko (jezzeus!) ... so I sometimes stop short because of it and make a choice as to which wins out over the other. Usually, the "programmed wod" wins over the other stuff that I happen to be doing.

In other news - I see you are trying to gain weight.
Like the others have said, your calorie intake may be low. Have you tracked your cals ? Track them (every meal and morsel every day - and weigh/measure it) over the period of 2 weeks and see how much, on average you are eating each day. Assuming you just don't have hollow legs, then the theory is that if you increase your calorie intake by 3500 cals per week (500 a day), that will allow you to gain 1 pound a week (the opposite is true). The problem here is everyone is different and it's just a formula. Moreover, gaining a pound a week is no guarantee it's muscle either .... so perhaps start with increasing your cal intake by 200 cals a day and see what happens over a few weeks. If nothing, then add in another 100 cals a day etc. Eventually, you should start gaining weight ..... but if it starts to become too much fat being gained ... cut back the cals. But without tracking and watching what goes in - it's pretty subjective.
Like the "drink a gallon of milk a day" thing. This may just make you fatter .... but it may not too - because you may not eat as much of something else due to the milk intake so there is no surplus of cals going in.

Last edited by Clint Harris; 10-03-2012 at 12:01 PM..