CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:
CFSB vs other programs

Is crossfit strength bias like outlaw, opt, CFFB? They seem to be based on the idea of incorporating strenght workouts to metcon. Is CFSB better than the other programs?

Another thing, and i apologize if this is a stupid question, are the workouts posted in crossfit.com only metcom?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Dylan Forbes

Profile:
Re: CFSB vs other programs

Answering your 2nd question first - no, crossfit.com is randomised ie contains metcon, some strength work, some monostructural work - it's like a buffet. It's very generic and I'd only recommend following it if your goals are equally generic.

Now regarding CFSB:

It's rare that one program is better than another, they all have a purpose. Some are obviously bad but thats a whole other story.

It comes down
A) Where you are now - ie your strength numbers, conditioning level, training experience, height/weight/age.
B) Where you want to be in a year on the same measures as above.

Once the 2 dots are known, drawing a straight line between them is easy. One of the existing programs might be a good fit, or a good coach might be able to write you a specific one.

Last edited by Dylan Forbes; 09-25-2012 at 08:39 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
It comes down
A) Where you are now - ie your strength numbers, conditioning level, training experience, height/weight/age.
B) Where you want to be in a year on the same measures as above.

Once the 2 dots are known, drawing a straight line between them is easy. One of the existing programs might be a good fit, or a good coach might be able to write you a specific one.
I have recently started crossfit, its been almost a month since i've started. I haven't done crossfit total yet so i dont have any real numbers. I am 6 feet tall/165 pounds/18 years old.
I do not plan to start an advanced program right now, i am obviously not ready. For now i'm training with an affiliate; however, in january i leave for college. I'll have a full equipped gym with almost everything i need for crossfit, and i'm planning to do it on my own. As you said, crossfit.com is generic so i'm planning to stick with it until i'm on the level to follow a program.
My goal is to grow, bulk up. I've been looking into all these programs: outlaw, opt, cffb. And i've just started reading about cfsb, I'm trying to find out which one will suit me the best in the future.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Ted Apollo

Profile:

CFSB is an intermediate training program meaning its for individuals that have been training for a year or longer and based on making weekly gains. So if you've already done the basic strength programs and exhausted your linear gains then it's time to graduate to an intermediate program.

I have cycled CFSB a few times and from my experience CFSB is a great training plan. As far as which program is 'best' that is for you to determine. But this one is legit
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

Ater seeing your response Albert I would recommend doing a starting strength program to take advantage of whatever strength gains you can before you stop making linear gains. Then after you reset a few times and still stall I would say then go to CFSB or the other hybrid programs
Old 09-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Apollo View Post
Ater seeing your response Albert I would recommend doing a starting strength program to take advantage of whatever strength gains you can before you stop making linear gains. Then after you reset a few times and still stall I would say then go to CFSB or the other hybrid programs
Thanks Ted, i'll get the book do some reading and start the program as soon as i can.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

well at your height / weight / age bulking up is a great idea. now is a great time to get stronger! eat lots of food and drink lots of milk. i would look into SS and then move into GSLP w/ a little conditioning thrown in, perhaps rotate between strength cycles and hypertrophy cycles. throw in plenty of accessory lifts to grow.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Alberto Cabezas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
well at your height / weight / age bulking up is a great idea. now is a great time to get stronger! eat lots of food and drink lots of milk. i would look into SS and then move into GSLP w/ a little conditioning thrown in, perhaps rotate between strength cycles and hypertrophy cycles. throw in plenty of accessory lifts to grow.
I hadn't heard of gslp but it seems like a great program, i'll definitely look into that after i do some ss.
When i do the ss/gslp program i incorporate it with crossfit metcon workouts, right? I'm thinking of following the 3-1 crossfit.com workouts with each of the program i'm following to grow. Kind of like cffb, ill have a DWOD and a SWOD. Should i do it all together or should i separate the strength workout and the metcon? Because i might be able to do one in the morning, rest during my day and do the other part during the afternoon. Or just do it all in the after noon with a warmup and stretching, maybe add some skill practice to the whole thing.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CFSB requires you to do some of your own metcon programming, which doesn't sound ideal for you at this point. Plus I'd point to the fact that almost everyone on here (and at gyms I've trained at) has voted with their feet over the last few years by choosing other strength-biased programs rather than CFSB.

CFSB was one of the first hybrid programs to get widespread recognition, but my opinion is that there are plenty of others that have picked up and carried well beyond what CFSB did.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Cabezas View Post
I hadn't heard of gslp but it seems like a great program, i'll definitely look into that after i do some ss.
When i do the ss/gslp program i incorporate it with crossfit metcon workouts, right? I'm thinking of following the 3-1 crossfit.com workouts with each of the program i'm following to grow. Kind of like cffb, ill have a DWOD and a SWOD. Should i do it all together or should i separate the strength workout and the metcon? Because i might be able to do one in the morning, rest during my day and do the other part during the afternoon. Or just do it all in the after noon with a warmup and stretching, maybe add some skill practice to the whole thing.
No.

SS means do SS and nothing else.

If you want to do GSLP, I'd highly recommend picking up their 2nd edition e-book or spending some time on the Strength Villain forums. I would NOT recommend trying to fit CF.com metcons in with GSLP...they're not an ideal fit in most cases and will put a lower ceiling on your strength gains.