CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
Eddie Havrilla

Profile:
Weight gain help!!

Hey guys I'm currently 5-11 155lbs since I started doing Crossfit 3 months ago I have stayed the same weight and noticed a ton of strength and some definition changes. I don't eat a lot of complex carbs and I try to stay away from dairy and gluten. I am a student which makes having a healthy diet super hard. I would really like to get to a healthy 170 lbs but I don't want to gain any fat (I'm probably around 10% now). I need a good way to gain weight I thought about weight gainers but that's not much different than stuffing my face at McDonald's! Anyone have any ideas??

Typical meal is chicken and vegetables for dinner cereal for breakfast (I know that's not the best) and whatever I can find during the day in cafeteria
Old 09-24-2012, 03:38 AM   #2
Doug Blankenship

Profile:
Re: Weight gain help!!

Eddie, you said you try to stay away from dairy but you eat cereal in the morning?

You need to post everything you eat from when you rise to when sleep. How many time per week do you do Crossfit? Do you eat lunch? If you're only eating chicken and veggies with some cereal you're going to have a hard time gaining weight.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blankenship View Post
Eddie, you said you try to stay away from dairy but you eat cereal in the morning?

You need to post everything you eat from when you rise to when sleep. How many time per week do you do Crossfit? Do you eat lunch? If you're only eating chicken and veggies with some cereal you're going to have a hard time gaining weight.
Agreed.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Drink whole milk. It is calorie dense and cheap. If you get gassy, get a lactate enzyme and down 1 per roughly 10oz.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Drink whole milk. It is calorie dense and cheap. If you get gassy, get a lactate enzyme and down 1 per roughly 10oz.
Milk is an easy way to hydrate and get in protein and some calories such as fat. The overall glycemic load you would inherit by drinking a lot of milk would turn a lot of crossfitters off to the idea. I used to drink 2-3 gallons a week out of a pure love for milk and the fact it was extra calories.

Most people who have problems eating dairy though are allergic to the beta-lactoglobulin at the very least. While digestive aids like lactate enzymes are going to help with the gastrointestinal issue, beta-gal enzymes can only do so much if the body is low in them and I don't think lactase supplements are truly going to take care of hydrolyzing the lactase in the body. Not to mention the fact that inflammation still may be occurring as well. I'm still waiting on John Berardi to do this followup article on dairy, I wanna see what he has to say.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
Ted Apollo

Profile:

GOMAD aka gallon of milk a day. I did this for awhile. Unbelievable results. Buy the really cheap milk to guarantee they stuff it full of growth hormones. My strength gains were incredible. You might add some fat but well worth the size and strength gains. You can burn that fat off after the fact. You can't lose weight and gain strength at the same time. Periodization
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Doyon View Post
Milk is an easy way to hydrate and get in protein and some calories such as fat. The overall glycemic load you would inherit by drinking a lot of milk would turn a lot of crossfitters off to the idea. I used to drink 2-3 gallons a week out of a pure love for milk and the fact it was extra calories.

Most people who have problems eating dairy though are allergic to the beta-lactoglobulin at the very least. While digestive aids like lactate enzymes are going to help with the gastrointestinal issue, beta-gal enzymes can only do so much if the body is low in them and I don't think lactase supplements are truly going to take care of hydrolyzing the lactase in the body. Not to mention the fact that inflammation still may be occurring as well. I'm still waiting on John Berardi to do this followup article on dairy, I wanna see what he has to say.
I didn't say it was the healthiest way, but drinking a can of coconut milk like many here suggest is hardly a better call. I agree with what you say. I take lactase enzymes because I drink 24-48 oz of milk a day and it helps with the volume. If I drink a single cup I am fine.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Becky Hanson

Profile:

Eddie,

Increase your protein. Try eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, protein shake or a mix of all of them for breakfast. Things like avocado and coconut milk are great too. When I was desperately trying to gain wait while nursing (I got down to 95lbs. bc my son wouldn't stop nursing) I had avocado banana smoothies all the time and they were delicious. blend an avocado and banana in a magic bullet. But I think your biggest thing will be eating real food (not cereal) and lots of protein in the morning. Also carry around nuts (almonds) and a bag of protein shake you can easily mix with water around campus. Adding cream to your protein shake would work as well. Best of luck
Old 09-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
I didn't say it was the healthiest way, but drinking a can of coconut milk like many here suggest is hardly a better call. I agree with what you say. I take lactase enzymes because I drink 24-48 oz of milk a day and it helps with the volume. If I drink a single cup I am fine.
As in the creamed coconut milk? UGH. Yea that's just going to make you run to the bathroom in 30 minutes.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Havrilla View Post
Hey guys I'm currently 5-11 155lbs since I started doing Crossfit 3 months ago I have stayed the same weight and noticed a ton of strength and some definition changes. I don't eat a lot of complex carbs and I try to stay away from dairy and gluten. I am a student which makes having a healthy diet super hard. I would really like to get to a healthy 170 lbs but I don't want to gain any fat (I'm probably around 10% now). I need a good way to gain weight I thought about weight gainers but that's not much different than stuffing my face at McDonald's! Anyone have any ideas??

Typical meal is chicken and vegetables for dinner cereal for breakfast (I know that's not the best) and whatever I can find during the day in cafeteria
couple of things...

- quality weight gainer is nothing like mcdonalds. a good weight gainer will have quality carbs, protein, and maybe some fat. it will also have alot of vitamins and minerals. and it will not have all the junk that mcdonalds food contains. about the only way it might be similar is calories.

- your stated goal and your diet and training don't work together. crossfit is not the best way to gain weight. it is a great way to be fit, but not a great way to add muscle without adding in quite a bit of extra strength and weight training. additionally, the diet you are on isn't a good diet to gain weight or add muscle. do not avoid complex carbs or dairy.

- understand that adding 15lbs of pure muscle is going to take a while. adding that much muscle without adding any fat is possible, but it won't happen overnight. if you could add a pound of solid muscle a month you are doing good. now you may gain weight pretty quickly at first, but that will be mostly due to adding carbs so you will store glycogen and water. but adding muscle takes time.

with all that said, if your true goal is to gain muscle, then your best bet is to do a hypertrophy program, be that powerlifting or bodybuilding, and follow a similar style diet. if you want to keep your conditioning and you enjoy doing crossfit, then check into one of the many programs that combine strength and conditioning - CFFB, GSLP, 5/3/1, Outlaw, etc - and be sure to look at the nutrition they recommend.

personally i think that you would probably find that you are very happy if you focus on getting all your lift numbers up and gaining a some weight and muscle, even if you gain a little fat. once you are big and strong it won't be too hard to get lean again while keeping the strength and size