CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Hi, I am working on the frontlever progression and it seems that the only way I can pull off a tuck front lever is with my arms bent... Is this ok?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
David Ingersoll

Profile:
Well it's obviously OK from a general "it's a free country" point of view. But from the point of maximizing the strength benefits from the progressions, then no, it's not OK. Coach Sommer has repeatedly emphasized that keeping the arms straight from the very beginning is crucial.

What happends if you keep your arms straight? How long can you hold that? 1 second? Less?

A few questions:

How tall/heavy are you?
How long have you been trying?
How often have you been working them?
Do the holds add up to 1 minute of cumulative work?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:55 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Hi David,

Yeah when I straighten the arms I slump immediately

I am 6ft
172lb
Yesterday was the first try
Can’t accumulate time unless I do bent arms

Should I use bent arms to get into position then lowly straighten arms?
With straight arms I can’t even get my hips up but maybe that is because I was working knees to elbows and lsit the day before and am still sore.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
David Ingersoll

Profile:
Kevin, try it again when rested, but yes, I would suggest aiming on straight arms from the beginning. Hang in a vertical tuck, your rear pointing to the ceiling, then lower yourself slowly, trying to hold the horizontal position.

If you can't hold it at all, I would suggest giving it 60 attempts per day, about 4 times per week. Really focus on keeping those arms straight.

That's what I had to do for the tuck planche, and after a couple of weeks, I was holding it for 3 seconds, then 6, 10, etc...

Dave
Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Thanks dave! I will do as you suggest.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #6
Kevin McKay

Profile:
David,

Not sure I understand what you are saying with the tuck planche. Are you saying you started with a hand stand and lowered through the tuck planche holding as long as possible? I am still on the frog sit with that progression.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
David Ingersoll

Profile:
Sorry, no.. I just meant that when I transitioned from the frog stand to the tuck planche, it was a huge step, and I couldn't do it.

I couldn't hold the tuck planche for more than 1 second (even that's a little generous). So I just gave it 60 hard attempts over the day with good rest in between each. After 1-2 weeks of 4-5 days/wk, I was able to hold it for 3 seconds, then 8, then 10, etc...

The point is, don't get dicouraged. It's easy to get impatient with these holds. They work so many muscles, you have to wait for all of them to strengthen before you can move on. Take the lever for instance...You may strengthen your lats by doing other exercises, but then when you extend your legs out, you may find that your abs are giving out on you even though your lats are solid.

That's what I like about these exercises...you can work-out your whole upper body with just a few moves.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
Travis Hall

Profile:

i started the progressions on the floor and soon switched to paralettes. big difference!

i find it easier to keep the straight arms on paralettes vs. the floor. a flexability issue i guess. i also find i get more 'pressing' strength through using the tension created by my grip on the paralettes- thereby getting my hips higher.

so if you're doing the progressions on the floor, i recommend experimenting with some paralettes.

t.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
David Ingersoll

Profile:
I agree. By the time I got to the tuck planche, my wrists were starting to bother me so I moved on to the paralettes. I think an added benefit of the paralettes is that they work your wrists in the same way as holding a sledgehammer out in front of you by the handle would.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
Keegan Yentsch

Profile:
Hello David,

I have been working on the planche and front lever progressions for quite some time now. I am currently working on the advanced tuck planche and straddle front lever.

As you stated the jump between progressions is huge. I had a very similar experience as you when I tried to progress from the frog stand to the tuck planche. The same thing occured when I tried to progress from the tuck planche to the advanced tuck planche.

My question to you really applies to both holds (the planche and front lever). My question is; how close to failure do you usually train. I know I tried using the 1/2 maximal time hold method, but seemed to really stagnate while doing so. In fact, even though I practiced doing this for well over 12 weeks, I didn't really see any improvement in my maximal hold time.

I'm wondering if you are still working to near failure, or if you are using the 1/2 maximal hold time method.

Also, you said that you were doing 60 attempts through the day with "good" rest between. Do you mean that you are "greasing the groove" with the attempts, or are you doing straight sets? If you are doing straight sets, how long do you rest between sets?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Also, good luck to you too Kevin. Stick with these exercises, they take a long time to master, but also pay off substantially.

Good training,

Keegan