CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-11-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Kevin Don

Profile:
CrossFit for mental health

Hi everyone,
I am a CF Lv2 coach and I recently started a blog about how CrossFit helps me with my mental illness.
I have also come to notice that many of the students in the classes have similar problems. It seems that many of the members with mental health issues are unconsciously drawn to CrossFit as a form of group exercise therapy.
I believe, suffering from these ailments myself, that as coaches, we need to do more to be able to look for those in need and to be able to leverage the supportive atmosphere more to empower those we know need help and those who do but we don't know it. Until recently, nobody knew I was sick and always thought the strongest person in the room was ok!
If you have time, read my first blog post
http://prowlerdemon.blogspot.hk/2014...-weakness.html
and I hope we can destigmatize mental health and also empower coaches to help more (that's what we are here for)
KD
Old 11-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:
Re: CrossFit for mental health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Don View Post
Hi everyone,
I am a CF Lv2 coach and I recently started a blog about how CrossFit helps me with my mental illness.
I have also come to notice that many of the students in the classes have similar problems. It seems that many of the members with mental health issues are unconsciously drawn to CrossFit as a form of group exercise therapy.
I believe, suffering from these ailments myself, that as coaches, we need to do more to be able to look for those in need and to be able to leverage the supportive atmosphere more to empower those we know need help and those who do but we don't know it. Until recently, nobody knew I was sick and always thought the strongest person in the room was ok!
If you have time, read my first blog post
http://prowlerdemon.blogspot.hk/2014...-weakness.html
and I hope we can destigmatize mental health and also empower coaches to help more (that's what we are here for)
KD
That's a cool story. There's a FB site called integrated recovery, he's using CF to help with addictions.

I am a crossfitter (sort of) and a counselor, I'm a big believer in the effects of exercise on Mental Health. Plenty of studies to support it too.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #3
Kevin Don

Profile:

Thanks for the FB page recommendation. Its always helpful. In fact, since I wrote my blog, 7 or 8 members of my box have come to talk about their problems too. Exercise, especially group exercise helps for sure!
Old 11-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Kevin,
Great post, thanks for sharing your story!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
Kevin Don

Profile:

Thanks Gonzalo!
Old 11-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Kevin Don

Profile:

my latest blog entry
http://prowlerdemon.blogspot.hk/2014...y-barbell.html
Old 11-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
Bob Herald

Profile:

thanks for sharing. I am not a crossfitter although im a fan of the methodology and forums. i am a fitness enthusiast and Brazilian Jiujitsu practitioner. I am also one of the many affected with anxiety disorders. (ive ranged from generalized anxiety to Panic disorder to a touch of OCD over the years). fitness, exercise, and jiujitsu is NECESSARY to my well being. i believe crossfit is similar to jiujitsu in that it is a fitness based community that fosters a brotherhood of sorts.

We need to take away the stigma of these disorders and talk about them. There should be no feelings of shame. in fact i dont like to call it a mental illness. im not ill. In my case at least, its biological. Sufferers of these disorders are not alone and isolated. we are everywhere
Old 09-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
Kevin Don

Profile: