CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
I'm putting a gym together in my garage and thought why build a pull up bar and mount it to a beam when I could just do all pull ups and dips etc... from my rings. Does this sound ok?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
The free rotation of the rings is better for your joints this is a great way to go.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
better health for the shoulders doing ring dips....harder but better in the long run.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #4
Bill Russell

Profile:
I slide a 4' galvanized bar through my rings when I feel like doing work from a bar, but I mainly use my rings now that they have arrived. Seems like there are an unlimited number of variations you can do with the rings.

You can get the galvanized bar at a Sears hardware of HD for about 6 bucks.

There might be a weight limit, where the bar would crush the rings, but I am not close to it!

Old 09-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #5
Chris Fitzgerald

Profile:
thank you for the info, I will try just doing everything with the rings. See ya'll later.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
OK, is there any advantage to doing pull ups on a bar though? Does it train something that ring pull up does not? I rock climb and this is of particular interest to me.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:52 AM   #7
Chris Forbis

Profile:
You can work your kip a lot better on a fixed bar.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Raf--

Like a fixed bar, rock doesn't move to accomodate hand rotation. Rings will train the correct muscle groups, but they rotate. On rock, it's full-out pronated grip or nothing. You might as well get sport-specific here.

I gave up ring pullups a while ago. Not because of any particular difficulty, but because I found them easier than bar pullups. At CFB, we have a huge 1.5" pipe. This adds to the difficulty, and helps grip strength as well.

If I were you, I'd get a fixed bar, and get a larger diameter than you're comfortable with. Your climbing will improve!

Best,

Jon
Old 09-27-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Unfortunately, I type faster than I think.

Sometimes, when you're on a roof, a nice flake, or crack climbing, you'll be using a neutral or even supinated grip. The rings are a quick solution to getting a neutral grip (palms facing each other/inward).

I still think that having both is a good idea, and working with an oversized bar WILL make you stronger. When I go back to rings or smaller bars, it becomes really easy.

Best,

Jon
Old 09-27-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
Rafael Haroutunian

Profile:
Jon, cool, that's what I thought, so I do just some ring PU every once in a while when "greasing the grove".

On the other hand a larger diameter bar is a new idea, definitely am going to set up as soon as I go to Home Depot today. I don't have a suitable tree :-) but otherwise my setup is just like yours. Where are you at? I only have pines... BTW, it is definitely harder to PU on a swinging bar, but that's all I can have w/o building an outdoor special stand - too much time and $$$.

Thank you so much!