CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Mark Inge

Profile:
Multiple pains from squatting and occurring now during squatting

So i have three different problems that im experiencing from squatting.
1) I believe i may have strained a hip flexor. I recently have been working on my squat flexibility and depth and in doing so i believe one day i sunk too far down into an air squat before i was ready and may have strained it. It is now painful to even air squat. The pain gets worse the farther down i attempt to go. It doesnt hurt doing any other activity really other than slightly if i move my femur left to right when sitting down.
2) My spine/back has begun to feel really compressed and im pretty sure this is due to squats and it feels worse when i sink into a squat and have to keep my back straight and tight. It hurts to just hang from a pull up bar after i squat with weight.
3) I have this weird tightness down in my groin area when i squat. It is on the very bottom part of the pelvis (ischium) refer to picture-->http://www.graphicshunt.com/health/i...elvis-2127.htm : the muscles between the two parts. It is basically on the part you sit on, right behind the manhood. It doesnt cause too much trouble it is just extremely tight and uncomfortable when i squat (even air squat).

My questions are:
1) how can i get rid of this hip flexor pain and what are some ways to prevent it from happening again? Also suggestions on what the pain is coming from.
2) is this spinal compression feeling normal or is it a forewarning to a back injury? how can i get rid of this feeling?
3) same as the others, basically why do you think this is happening and how can i relieve this feeling?

similar experiences and solutions are appreciated and any help is great
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Multiple pains from squatting and occurring now during squatting

You've got so much going on that it would benefit you to see a professional. Nobody here can tell you why you have these pains - someone needs to look at x-rays of your spine and needs to look at the way you move. Go to an ortho and, if you're clear, hit up physical therapy. The pain sadly won't go away without some form of intervention.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Mark Inge

Profile:

Just figured out the my groin pain in Ischial Bursitis (googled it) and it is just the inflammation of the "bursa" which separates the bones from the tendons. Im just going to have to rest it and im going to try to roll a tennis ball around there.

The hip flexor problem has been getting better with rest but i can still feel it a little bit in certain positions. Im goin to try rolling that out as well as some mobility stuff (which is much needed in general for me).

The back pain is still there but im hoping if i dont aggravate it it will slowly go away. Ill just have to pay closer attention to my form next time i lift to make sure my back isnt giving out.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Inge View Post
Just figured out the my groin pain in Ischial Bursitis (googled it) and it is just the inflammation of the "bursa" which separates the bones from the tendons. Im just going to have to rest it and im going to try to roll a tennis ball around there.

The hip flexor problem has been getting better with rest but i can still feel it a little bit in certain positions. Im goin to try rolling that out as well as some mobility stuff (which is much needed in general for me).

The back pain is still there but im hoping if i dont aggravate it it will slowly go away. Ill just have to pay closer attention to my form next time i lift to make sure my back isnt giving out.
WebMD, and google are hazardous to many individuals health. Listen to Brent!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
WebMD, and google are hazardous to many individuals health. Listen to Brent!
Agreed. You have a bursa... you also have ligaments attaching the illium and the sacrum. On top of that, in that area, you can have neural symptoms, referred pain from the low back, SI joint pain, proximal hamstring tendonitis/strain, glutes, etc. You definitely need to get evaluated by a professional. You could honestly have any one of those - if you're referring to bursae pain.

Typically, ischial bursitis presents as posterior hip pain and is sensitive to sitting. Anterior groin pain options: hip osteoarthritis, adductor/sartorius strain, anterior capsule impingement or FAI, L1 nerve root issues (from back), labral damage, etc. Like I said - it's not as simple as any one thing and googling something without getting a proper evaluation is suicide. You're likely not going to change your pain and you may even make it worse. Go get it checked out.

Last edited by Brent Sallee : 06-28-2011 at 06:41 PM.