CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Matt Belflower

Profile:
muscle tightness

I assume this is the correct forum, but here goes...

My issue is muscle tightness, not necessarily soreness, but tight, almost extreme condition. I know to logical answer is to stretch and visit mwod as much as possible, and I do...every day!

I initially thought it was a hip and ankle issue, but have discovered that I'm just not flexible anywhere, shoulders, hips, ankles, hell even my wrist!

Before each WOD, and I go 3-4 days each week, I stretch with and without bands for up to 30 minutes, shoulder dislocates, you name it, and I've most likely done it. I also stretch for 15-20 post WOD, and foam roll every night for 15 minutes before bed.

It's no better. It really feels like the more I stretch, the tighter I get. I know that sounds crazy, but I really feel like that's the truth.

I have no issues lifting "heavy weight". Squat and front squat over 300, C&J 225, deadlight 405...my biggest issue is the OHS and Snatch. I've power snatched a respectable lift, but if it involves a squat snatch or OHS, not much more than the bar will be lifted. I've been doing CrossFit since August of 2011, and it just hasn't gotten better. I've tried Oly shoes, and they help, but my ankles still have to be at 45 degrees, and my shoulders feel exhausted after one OHS at 45lb! 99% of the time, I have to WOD with a PVC pipe if OHS are involved. Even then my shoulders are fried! If I feel like my hips and ankles are opened enough to get to a good position, my shoulders can't stay externally rotated (arm pits forward) to execute the lift

Any suggestions? More stretching...stretch I'm not doing, anything!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: muscle tightness

Hopefully more will read what I'm about to write, but I'm afraid they won't

Just because your muscles feel tight does NOT mean they need to be stretched. Muscles are often "tight" because you lack STABILITY, NOT MOBILITY. Due to that lack of stability, other muscles(not primary stabilizers) have to compensate and tighten up to give your body the stability it needs.

It's not crazy that when you stretch more, it gets worse. The muscles you are most likely stretching, are the compensations for your poor stability, making the body respond with a greater need for more stability. If stretching solved all the worlds problems, then the most flexible people would never have pain. That is not the case.

You know what the biggest difference between your best and worst lift numbers.....OHS and Snatch require greater stability than the others.

You cannot solve a stability problem when your answer is more mobility work. That would be like putting gas in your tank when your oil light in your car goes on.

I would recommend finding a PT or DC that specializes in rehab, and get a consultation. If I were to guess, poor core activation would be at the core of your problem. No pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Belflower View Post

My issue is muscle tightness, not necessarily soreness, but tight, almost extreme condition. I know to logical answer is to stretch and visit mwod as much as possible, and I do...every day!

I initially thought it was a hip and ankle issue, but have discovered that I'm just not flexible anywhere, shoulders, hips, ankles, hell even my wrist!

Before each WOD, and I go 3-4 days each week, I stretch with and without bands for up to 30 minutes, shoulder dislocates, you name it, and I've most likely done it. I also stretch for 15-20 post WOD, and foam roll every night for 15 minutes before bed.

It's no better. It really feels like the more I stretch, the tighter I get. I know that sounds crazy, but I really feel like that's the truth.

I have no issues lifting "heavy weight". Squat and front squat over 300, C&J 225, deadlight 405...my biggest issue is the OHS and Snatch. I've power snatched a respectable lift, but if it involves a squat snatch or OHS, not much more than the bar will be lifted. I've been doing CrossFit since August of 2011, and it just hasn't gotten better. I've tried Oly shoes, and they help, but my ankles still have to be at 45 degrees, and my shoulders feel exhausted after one OHS at 45lb! 99% of the time, I have to WOD with a PVC pipe if OHS are involved. Even then my shoulders are fried! If I feel like my hips and ankles are opened enough to get to a good position, my shoulders can't stay externally rotated (arm pits forward) to execute the lift

Old 10-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Matt Belflower

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Hopefully more will read what I'm about to write, but I'm afraid they won't

Just because your muscles feel tight does NOT mean they need to be stretched. Muscles are often "tight" because you lack STABILITY, NOT MOBILITY. Due to that lack of stability, other muscles(not primary stabilizers) have to compensate and tighten up to give your body the stability it needs.

It's not crazy that when you stretch more, it gets worse. The muscles you are most likely stretching, are the compensations for your poor stability, making the body respond with a greater need for more stability. If stretching solved all the worlds problems, then the most flexible people would never have pain. That is not the case.

You know what the biggest difference between your best and worst lift numbers.....OHS and Snatch require greater stability than the others.

You cannot solve a stability problem when your answer is more mobility work. That would be like putting gas in your tank when your oil light in your car goes on.

I would recommend finding a PT or DC that specializes in rehab, and get a consultation. If I were to guess, poor core activation would be at the core of your problem. No pun intended.
This actually makes a ton of sense. What would you recommend for stability work? Luckily, we have a PT who specializes in rehab at our box and she is level 1 certified. I will definitely speak with her at the next WOD and see what she says.

Really appreciate the reply!
Fran: 5:14, Helen: 9:45
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
This actually makes a ton of sense. What would you recommend for stability work? Luckily, we have a PT who specializes in rehab at our box and she is level 1 certified. I will definitely speak with her at the next WOD and see what she says.

Really appreciate the reply!
I would ask her advice, a personal consult could give her a much better idea. Some basic stuff could be rolling patterns, bird/dog, dead bug as a start. Again, an individualized plan would be best suited for you. Ask her and get her opinion, let me know what she says....
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

Just found this tonight;
WFS
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instr...-from-day.html

Pay close attention to # 9. Good timing. At least there's one person that agrees with me
Old 10-23-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Bodyweight stuff works well for stability, then rings.

Easy **** like planks and 1 leg, 1 arm stuff.

Start off with basic ring support but in pushup fashion, straight arm plank, whatever you want to call it.

For right now I would MWOD like mad and go through those videos if you don't look for a sports PT. Even then that can be hit and miss so search and ask around and find one that is worth your time.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Brian Strump

Profile:

The "M" in MWOD stands for mobility. It's great stuff, IF mobility is the problem.

While assuming you're doing things correctly, if you do not have a mobility problem, the best mobility program in the world(MWOD is up there in the ranks), would not correct the issues you are having.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Justin M. Furtado

Profile:

Quote:

I have the exact same problem you are referring to. My shoulders feel very tight all the time. Pass thrus hurt don't feel like a stretch. It hurts to hold the bar overhead. I quit even trying to snatch until I figure out the cause of my issues. I'm curious to see what you find out. I thought MWod was going to save me but it hasn't helped thus far
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13
Old 10-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Brian Strump

Profile:

Alot of shoulder issues have roots in poor scapular STABILITY, and thoracic spine MOBILITY. In that case(which I cannot speak for you), MWOD used properly will help the mobility issue, but additional work would be needed for the stability problems.

Consider this; if the oil light in your car came on....and you put gas in the tank, would you expect that to solve your problem?

Same goes for your issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Furtado View Post
I have the exact same problem you are referring to. My shoulders feel very tight all the time. Pass thrus hurt don't feel like a stretch. It hurts to hold the bar overhead. I quit even trying to snatch until I figure out the cause of my issues. I'm curious to see what you find out. I thought MWod was going to save me but it hasn't helped thus far
Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

Alot of shoulder issues have roots in poor scapular STABILITY, and thoracic spine MOBILITY. In that case(which I cannot speak for you), MWOD used properly will help the mobility issue, but additional work would be needed for the stability problems.

Consider this; if the oil light in your car came on....and you put gas in the tank, would you expect that to solve your problem?

Same goes for your issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin M. Furtado View Post