CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Jonathan Slater

Profile:
Tightness on outside of knee

I've had this problem for years, but thought someone amongst the wise souls on this forum might have a clue as to the cause... pretty much whenever I run or walk for extended (ie over an hour and a half ish) periods, when I stretch my legs ('frog' stretch particularly) and whenever I do any side kicks (TKD style) the outside of my knee feels tight, and a little painful. It's more like a cord - that's how it feels - on the outside, rather than the cap itself. It's got to the point where I can't improve my leg flexibility any more because this odd pain and the tightness it causes.

Any help would be much, much appreciated.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Robert Pierce

Profile:
Re: Tightness on outside of knee

The first thing that comes to mind is iliotibial band syndrome (ITBS). There are specific stretching and rehab exercises for ITBS.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
Bridget Murphy

Profile:

Hi Robert,

I had the same issue...it's called Runner's Knee. Caused by a few different things, one of which being overpronation or overuse from running, squatting, jumping...sound familiar ?

I went to a sports doc who was able to give me a brace that helps keep my knee in alignment, also have arch supports and am seeing a physical therapist to see what they have to say today.

Hope this helps!
bridget
Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

IT Band. If that cord that is tight and hurts extends up the side of your leg and to your hip (you'll be able to feel it) then that's definitely it. Your IT band is GIGANTIC and gets tight easily. Use a foam roller and stretch the heck out of it.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

FOAM ROLLER!! I have that too, when I foam roll the outside of my thighs (IT band) it is absolute agony, but it feels better afterward. I also make sure to stretch after running, always.

I also feel some weakness in my knee coming up/down stairs sometimes, which usually gets better after rolling also.