CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #41
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Facepalm moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
I raise you with:

Tony Budding's Twitter Account:

http://twitter.com/#!/tonybudding (WFS)

Quote:
Bad science is everywhere. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...430777580.html They didn't assess changes to carbs/insulin. Hilariously misguided.
Some deep stuff right there. Except the whole insulin carb thing, but lets just disregard Budding not keeping up with the research.
For those that haven't seen it this is the study they're referring to -

Effect of Dietary Protein Content on Weight Gain, Energy Expenditure, and Body Composition During Overeating: A Randomized Controlled Trial. (wfs)
Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #42
Daniel Dean

Profile:

As seen in a CF thread on another forum:

Quote:
For time:
Run 800 meters
10 rounds of the couplet:
Pull-up, 10 reps
Ring dip, 10 reps
Run 800 meters

Modified from ring dips/pull up to 10 muscle ups. why I did that I don't know...the hell i'm superman. and I thought I started my timer...but i guess I didn't. the time was painful.
When asked if he actually completed 100 muscle ups:

Quote:
not executed perfectly. I think by 36 I was dropping down after 1 rep, screaming, then jumping up to the rings and using the momentum to carry me through. So, call me out if the purest want to. But I said 100, and I was not going to quit or revise my numbers. I would receipt a few qoutes that coach posted, and I have written on the wall for reminder to not be a nancy:

"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses; only results." - Ken Blanchard

Pain is temporary but Quitting is forever [and I hurt]
When called out for being retarded and lucky to not have two blown shoulders:

Quote:
I'd agree, but I listen to my body. I would not go through with the exercise if i was having out-of-the-ordinary pain.

Last edited by Daniel Dean : 04-20-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #43
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

I watched the Reebok/Crossfit display at the Manchester Arndale Shopping centre earlier today. Three "athletes", one young and slightly malnourished looking in her twenties plus two older and clearly out of shape women, were put throught a WOD which included pull-ups, push-ups and C&J (probably a named WOD, but I don't care enough to find out which) while an impressively muscled blonde woman with a stopwatch shouted encouragement. I did not see one good rep from any of them; round backed C&J's, sagging hips touching first and elbows out at 90 degrees on the pushups, and not one chin made it over the bar on any of the pull-ups. Even the skinny girl who was kipping like crazy failed to perform a single good rep. And while all this was going on bright eyed CrossFitters were circulating amongst the crowd of bemused shoppers proclaiming how awesome CrossFit is and handing out leaflets offering a free workout*.

They had some nice equipment on display (Rogue, C2 rowers etc) but the apart from that whole thing looked pretty amateurish and the trainers should be ashamed of themselves for allowing their clients to continue the WOD when it was clear that they couldn't perform any of the exercises with good form. Still, I'm sure they'll pick up a few unwitting clients who'll soon be clogging up the local hospitals A&E department with gouged shins and the physiotherapy departments with ****ed up shoulders.

* Go to http://reebokcrossfit.schedulething.com/ if you're interested in a free workout (wfs).
Old 04-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #44
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Neat study Darryl
Old 04-23-2012, 04:31 AM   #45
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Neat study Darryl
Thanks.

I actually went back later on and watched three different "athletes" being put through a skipping-deadlift-burpee workout that was even worse than the one described above. None of them could skip, which isn't a surprising as most people struggle with that, and with the exception of one girl (black shorts, blue tank top, tattoo left shoulder in case anyone who knows her is reading) who maintained pretty good form the deadlifts were all done with rounded backs and knees caving in. As for the burpees, the only word I can think of to describe them is pathetic; they just kind of flopped down on the floor then got up again and did sad little hop over the bar they'd just been lifting. The funny thing was that I overheard a couple of pretty young Asian girls who were watching critique their form throughout and not only were they spot on with their criticisms, they thought it was hilarious that these "elite athletes" were struggling with such ridiculously light weights.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #46
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Crossfitters doing exercises with bad form? That's new.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3041/...3d025a2928.jpg (WFS)

What a hulk.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 AM   #47
Jason Scheffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri Dziabenko View Post
What a hulk.
So what's the problem with someone having fun with their kids and doing an overhead squat Dimitri?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #48
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Scheffler View Post
So what's the problem with someone having fun with their kids and doing an overhead squat Dimitri?
Haha, that photo just cracks me up.

Your mind must be in a special kind of place to do overhead squats with your kid while in disney land. Also, I'd imagine that if you did wanna do it, you'd at least learn how to squat beforehand.

There are a lot of funny Crossfit pictures in general. Another example:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HqKiyVYFIa...00/spencer.jpg (WFS)

I guess in Soviet Crossfit, Bike rides you