CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #11
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Re: Have people seen this?

I have been giving this a thought and have been thinking emotionally about this gun thing. Lets take a business perspective. I own a business and when I think that I have a good idea I don't right away run with it. I get some input from my engineer, heads of departments, even put up in some social media would you want this idea.

I don't think that Castro and HQ did much thinking about this. Its all about education of his affiliates, members/customers, fans of the sport and the nay sayers who love this type of screw up.

I have a friend in Sweden who says he has lost a few members because of this. In Sweden and many other parts of the world guns are looked at in a way that they should be looked at un safe in the wrong hands and potentially un safe in the right hands.

Why divide your customer base against each other. We get enough flack with the public hating on crossfit being un safe, the athletes basically being un tested or min. the testing process flawed to say the least.

Why **** off your biggest partner Reebok.. glad that they publicly said this is not something that they support.

How many 2nd amendment people who are not in crossfit now are going to leave Nascar and join crossfit boxes because of guns being given out? Vs how many against guns or believe something has to be done to stop all the deaths related to them are going to leave the boxes and make it even harder to replace them.

Shame on HQ and not thinking about their brand, their affiliate owners, the end user on this one.

They have almost 15,000 signatures on this-
https://www.change.org/p/crossfit-in...share_petition

Now Rich F sent the petition lead a message via his Instagram how many of the signers do crossfit? Rich could have taken a different stand and try to unite cross fitters and not drive the wedge further in.

I hope that some of the athletes take a stand against this type of dividing of crossfit. And educate Mr Castro on how so many other countries work.

Wake up HQ and smell the bad decision.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
Greg Morrison

Profile:

All this hand-wringing seems kind of silly. It's a prize. They can't force anyone to take it if they don't want it. I'm sure Crossfit got something in return. No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #13
Alex Burden

Profile:

Look at it like this.... Olympics is in Brasil

Growth of cocaine use in South America is outpacing any other region in the world and creating an emerging market boom for organized crime groups that are engaging in more cross-border cooperation aimed at making the most of growing local demand for the drug.

What would people say if they gave all podium winners were given a kilo coke...

As absurd as this sounds is the same with this decision.... Mixing weapons and CF is not good.

The best prize, gift to the athletes was the Murph vest....

Old 07-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

I read this on another site and thought it hit the nail on the head:

This thread has turned into a debate about gun control and it shouldn't...the issue is whether an organization that has become synonymous with fitness, good health, and community, promote a product that has nothing to do with health and fitness, is very divisive within the US, and viewed with a high degree of antipathy outside of the US. I think Castro was truthful when he said he had no personal agenda when he accepted the Glock offer. But for Glock, it was a carefully calculated business decision. The fastest growing, most profitable demographic for civilian gun sales in the world are young, white American males...as well, studies have shown that once you get the guy to play with guns, it is more likely he will get his partner to participate as well. For gun manufacturers, the CF demographic is a gold mine. Since buying guns is legal in this country, I can't blame the company for going where the money is....However, I don't believe CF should allow itself to be used in this fashion given the lack of association with fitness/athletics, and its obvious divisiveness.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #15
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I think it is brilliant. For a lot of reasons.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 AM   #16
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I think it is brilliant. For a lot of reasons.
I also see this as a refreshing move by CF. We are living in a weird world where corporations are racing to out PC other corporations in order so show how much they care. I, and many others, see this type of corporate behavior as nothing more than pandering.

Enter CFHQ. If anyone hasn't noticed, they don't fit the mold of how a business should be run and it has worked out brilliantly for them. They do what they wan't to do and what they believe in, and if you don't like it, thats on you. They tend not to change due to social pressure. If anything, it just makes their resolve that much stronger.

Of course, Reebok is a different story. They said exactly what I thought they would say. It's also a technique used by "anti-x" crowds to try and get sponsors to put pressure on business partners to change their behavior with the underlying threat ending the relationship. Won't work well with CFHQ. If Reebok pressed this issue with CFHQ beyond a simple statement, I don't think CF would have any problems ending their relationship with Reebok at the end of the contract (I think next year is the last). I'm sure Nike will be stepping up to the plate with a very good offer.

I would imagine that the leadership at CF is not losing any sleep over this, and probably find this even mildly entertaining.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
I read this on another site and thought it hit the nail on the head:

This thread has turned into a debate about gun control and it shouldn't...the issue is whether an organization that has become synonymous with fitness, good health, and community, promote a product that has nothing to do with health and fitness, is very divisive within the US, and viewed with a high degree of antipathy outside of the US. I think Castro was truthful when he said he had no personal agenda when he accepted the Glock offer. But for Glock, it was a carefully calculated business decision. The fastest growing, most profitable demographic for civilian gun sales in the world are young, white American males...as well, studies have shown that once you get the guy to play with guns, it is more likely he will get his partner to participate as well. For gun manufacturers, the CF demographic is a gold mine. Since buying guns is legal in this country, I can't blame the company for going where the money is....However, I don't believe CF should allow itself to be used in this fashion given the lack of association with fitness/athletics, and its obvious divisiveness.
They are also doing a giveaway/raffle for a Triumph motorcycle. Like guns, also cool, but nothing to do with CF.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #18
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lomen View Post

How was I supposed to know when I affiliated our gym to CrossFit that I would be signing up for a pro-gun organization?

What do guns have to do with health and fitness?
I think they're less "pro-gun" than they are anti anti-gun.

In any case, I think its cool. If people don't want it, they can opt not to take it. Maybe they'll get cash value for it instead. The only silly part of it that I saw is that there's obviously a chance someone could win that couldn't even take it home with them because of domestic laws wherever they live. Whatever. I still think its a cool idea.

And... do you know what a biathlon is?

Old 07-18-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

The winners could always sell their gun in the parking lot afterwards!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #20
Chris Lomen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Roberts View Post

And... do you know what a biathlon is?
Thanks for the sarcasm buddy. Yes I know what a biathlon is. Correct me if I'm mistaken but I don't believe they use handguns in those.

That's the worst part of this whole thing...it's divisive. This thread is actually pretty tame compared to some of the facebook posts though...half is "CASTRO IS WORSE THAN HITLER!!" and the other half is "ANYONE WHO IS UPSET IS A LIBERAL PU@#Y! THEY SHOULD BE SHOT!"

The result has been just bad for the community...regardless of your stance on guns. Makes me sad. I want my members to come and work out and be able to forget about all the BS political crap for a few precious minutes.