CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Have people seen this?

https://www.change.org/p/crossfit-in...share_petition

Personally think that its a bad idea to get guns involved in Crossfit. Especially with what is going on in the US right now. Like the article says Crossfit would not sign up Soda, Smokes etc.. why this one.

I really hope that they change their minds and think about the responsibility that the gun would have. Seriously bad decision and hope that for once HQ un winds that deal that they made.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
Chris Lomen

Profile:
Re: Have people seen this?

Thanks for sharing. Signed the petition.

I can't speak for the rest of the country/world but I can tell you people here in Minnesota are really hurting. There's been so much gun violence lately. Philando Castile was shot less than 2 miles away from our gym. Two toddlers were shot and killed in North Minneapolis last week. There is so much sadness and fear...this really couldn't have come at a more inopportune/insensitive time.

How was I supposed to know when I affiliated our gym to CrossFit that I would be signing up for a pro-gun organization? What do guns have to do with health and fitness?

Regardless of your stance on the 2nd amendment/gun violence/etc, you have to admit it is a very polarizing topic, and in what historically I have found to be a very inclusive and positive community, I just don't see how this helps make CrossFit better.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
Steven Ngo

Profile:

such an odd prize. besides money, why wouldn't the prize be something fitness / exercise related?

such a shame if they're doing this just for the publicity

Old 07-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Its really hard to believe all of this. 2nd amendment is 200 years old. Seems we need to change some things. Wonder why the government is so afraid? Maybe because of the millions of guns out in the streets.

Shame on x fit for adding fuel to the fire.

I am nor pro or con gun.. just want people to earn the right for one. I don't think winning a fitness comp is the right way to do it.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J McQuaide View Post
Its really hard to believe all of this. 2nd amendment is 200 years old. Seems we need to change some things. Wonder why the government is so afraid? Maybe because of the millions of guns out in the streets.

Shame on x fit for adding fuel to the fire.

I am nor pro or con gun.. just want people to earn the right for one. I don't think winning a fitness comp is the right way to do it.

Should we also have to earn the right to vote or to religion or free speech or ect....

Personally have I no issue with what Crossfit is doing. If someone doesn't like it they don't have to watch or participate in the games. If they win and don't want the gun just don't take it.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

It all starts with Education. Some country's have million guns and little to zero % of deaths by gun. We are not so much. Right to vote.. well many would say people need be educated in that one. Religion.. well that is one that has been on going for 1000's of years.. Again education..

Guns- some type of standards to get one. Winning the games might not be the best standard. Just my .02

Old 07-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
Jason Fischer

Profile:

What happens if/when people from outside of the US win? For example, in Canada:

"To bring a restricted firearm into Canada you must obtain an Authorization to Transport permit (ATT) in addition to the Non-resident Firearm Declaration or PAL. This must be obtained in advance from the Chief Firearms Officer of the province where the firearm will be going, or where it will be crossing the border."

I believe most handguns are classified as restricted firearms up here. I'm sure there are countries out there with more restrictions?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Fischer View Post
What happens if/when people from outside of the US win? For example, in Canada:

"To bring a restricted firearm into Canada you must obtain an Authorization to Transport permit (ATT) in addition to the Non-resident Firearm Declaration or PAL. This must be obtained in advance from the Chief Firearms Officer of the province where the firearm will be going, or where it will be crossing the border."

I believe most handguns are classified as restricted firearms up here. I'm sure there are countries out there with more restrictions?
Perhaps they get $$ vs the gun if they don't want the gun.

As a guy who learned as a kid to shoot and started training my kids to shoot with a cricket 22 at 5 & 6 years old I don't see the issue knowing crossfire background and love of the military. Sure some people have issues. Others don't.

My friends from Israel can't imagine not having fun training. Over there your life could be called upon to defend your country at a moments notice. They don't have the robberies and what not we have here because every shop owner is packing and trained on how to shoot.

My friends from Africa (I do lots of missions there) can't believe how people are here. They said if our military would handle people like theirs do back home (shoot live rounds, clean up afterwards) we would have less issues with petty thugs doing riots and damage.

My buddies in Colombia wish they could have a gun. When the jungle commandos come down, raid your village and kill take what they want and the army is never there, you wish you had some way to protect yourself other than a machete.

Sadly in the US we pull out our camera and record everything vs helping because that's the kind of nation we turned into..

I speak this after being a member during the time the shooting took place at
My church Wedgwood in Fort Worth in 2000. I wish one of us with a fire arm had been present. Perhaps one life at least could have been saved from a crazy man...

Old 07-15-2016, 06:36 AM   #9
Alex Burden

Profile:

This was a major error on CFHQ

How do you incorporate weapons in a WOD!

This will hurt the community more than they know as east of America there are rules about weapons and they are not a part of society.

A big **** up, that's all I can say.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:37 AM   #10
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Burden View Post
This was a major error on CFHQ

How do you incorporate weapons in a WOD!

This will hurt the community more than they know as east of America there are rules about weapons and they are not a part of society.

A big **** up, that's all I can say.
it's a prize, not 16.x WOD