CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 06-12-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Michael Turner

Profile:
Help with Overhead Squat

Good day,

I've been doing CrossFit for one year and love it. Thanks to years of bad posture and sitting at a desk, my back is tight and my mobility needs lots of work--among many issues.

Very much welcome any comments/suggestions on OHS form (which will likely deteriorate dramatically once much weight is added to the bar).

Thanks very much...the video is safe for viewing at work, etc.

https://youtu.be/R7ErrHymrqs

Best,
Michael
Old 06-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: Help with Overhead Squat

You can tell you're not really that comfortable down in the bottom of the OHS. So, I would not rush the movement. Go down slow, sit there for a few seconds, then come up slow and under control. Your body is moving all over the place. The actual movement looks pretty good, just a bit unbalanced. So, move under more control through the entire ROM.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:07 PM   #3
Michael Turner

Profile:

Thanks much Keith...really appreciate the comments/suggestions.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, we like to do a lot of pauses at the bottom for the snatch/OHS for those who need to work on flexibility, be it the shoulders or ankles or hips.

At least 3 seconds, if not 5-10.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

To me, I think your top position with the bar is a little far back. With the bar already being so far behind your head it will be difficult to hit a good bottom position because you are already under strain at the top.

I would like to see you just stand more comfortable with the bar more over towards your head. When in this position you will be able to hit the bottom allot better.

See - http://www.crossfit.com/exercisedemos/ WFS

See the difference between you and the demo?
Old 06-17-2015, 05:42 AM   #6
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Honestly, your positioning looks pretty good, and it looks like you've got the requisite shoulder and hip mobility. Ankles look like they might be hitting end range towards the end of the lift and you're shifting weight a bit forward to compensate--kinda hard to tell if you're getting any inward collapse of the ankle from the angle the video is shot at, but focusing on ankle mobility and stability will likely help your bottom position.
As someone else mentioned, you seem to be biasing the weight of the barbell behind your center of gravity. That almost looks like something that's a response to a coaching cue like "keep the weight back" (a pretty common coaching cue in the OHS), but you're maintaining a very upright torso, so that cue is not really helpful.
Biggest thing that stands out to me is that you seem to be lacking some stability and general comfort/confidence in the positions of the OHS. As others mentioned, just spending time in these positions is going to be a big help. Do lots of pause reps and/or just hang out in the bottom of an OHS. It also looks like your armpits are facing out--ideally you want armpits forward (more stable position). I'd recommend creating some torque and stability by putting external rotation force on the bar--this'll help with the loosey-goosey stuff and help keep your shoulders in a good position.
Lastly, don't be afraid to (slowly) add some weight. Often we have deficiencies/inefficiencies that can hide when the weights are light, but start to make themselves known as some weight is added. I'd be willing to bet that the barbell behind your center of gravity business will make overhead squatting with any moderate weight impossible and will fix itself right quick as you start slowly increasing the weights.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

My 2 cents :

I used to be very uncomfortable with the OHS (and of course the full snatch).

Targeted mobility work helped to a certain extent, but nothing helped me more than practicing the movements (snatch, hand snatch, OHS, ) often. And when I say often I mean practicing some snatch variations or assistance movements at least twice a week.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:07 AM   #8
Michael Turner

Profile:

Thanks much Blair...very much appreciate the rec to pause for quite a few seconds...will do so! Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #9
Michael Turner

Profile:

Hi Alex...thanks so very much for sending the link to the foundational movement. I watched it and compared it to my video and you're totally right. I'll pay closer attention to bar positioning...thanks again!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #10
Michael Turner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
Honestly, your positioning looks pretty good, and it looks like you've got the requisite shoulder and hip mobility. Ankles look like they might be hitting end range towards the end of the lift and you're shifting weight a bit forward to compensate--kinda hard to tell if you're getting any inward collapse of the ankle from the angle the video is shot at, but focusing on ankle mobility and stability will likely help your bottom position.
As someone else mentioned, you seem to be biasing the weight of the barbell behind your center of gravity. That almost looks like something that's a response to a coaching cue like "keep the weight back" (a pretty common coaching cue in the OHS), but you're maintaining a very upright torso, so that cue is not really helpful.
Biggest thing that stands out to me is that you seem to be lacking some stability and general comfort/confidence in the positions of the OHS. As others mentioned, just spending time in these positions is going to be a big help. Do lots of pause reps and/or just hang out in the bottom of an OHS. It also looks like your armpits are facing out--ideally you want armpits forward (more stable position). I'd recommend creating some torque and stability by putting external rotation force on the bar--this'll help with the loosey-goosey stuff and help keep your shoulders in a good position.
Lastly, don't be afraid to (slowly) add some weight. Often we have deficiencies/inefficiencies that can hide when the weights are light, but start to make themselves known as some weight is added. I'd be willing to bet that the barbell behind your center of gravity business will make overhead squatting with any moderate weight impossible and will fix itself right quick as you start slowly increasing the weights.
Thanks a lot Preston for such a comprehensive reply. You're totally right that my armpits are not positioned optimally and that I don't feel comfortable AT ALL doing this exercise--hence the reason I need to do it more Do you have any cues for how to keep your armpits facing forward? Meaning, is there something else I can tell my body to do that will help make them face forward? Perhaps not...just asking....thanks again very very much!