CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-03-2017, 04:02 AM   #441
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Well it is Friday morning and it's that time again, get up turn the ipad on and see what Castro has in for us. This morning i was a little tired and i was wondering if this was going to affect me today.

So the wife did her own thing today until it was time to judge me.

She warmed up on the rower and then stretched and did soem mobility work for a while.

The she hit the following:
4k row = 19:15 a good pace and she put it, in the zone, felt good and kept going.

Then the following: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
KB swings 12kg
Sit ups
Burpees
then 1 min row.

And now to me:
Warmed up on the rower for 1.5k then i started to hit some squats, bench press and in between 1min rows to get the heart rate up a little. Stretch and mobility at the same time. Did a few T2B and bar muscle ups to get the lats going and tested the lunges.

I was feeling tired before i started and the wife reminded me to keep positive and do what i can. I have had a niggle in my left hamstring a while and i was a little worried if this would affect me as i did feel it a little in the warm up.

My goal was to get to the bar muscle ups and see how far i could get. Their not easy when you weight 97kgs/ 213lbs (i have actually lost 6lbs since Decemeber just by increasing the intensity)

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 12 minutes of:
2 rounds of:
50-ft. weighted walking lunge
16 toes-to-bars
8 power cleans
Then, 2 rounds of:
16 bar muscle-ups
8 power cleans
Etc., alternating between toes-to-bars and bar muscle-ups every 2 rounds.

Men use 50-lb. dumbbells

Result = 88reps

what i am learning from this is that i need to work on my engine allot more. The movments are ok but once your heart rate is up it slows you down. I had 2 no-reps on the bar muscle ups... so the plan for Monday is not hit at least 12 of them if not more.

Tip for this..... on the DB power cleans i should have completed 7 and then dropped them, then complete nr 8 and from their go strait into the lunges. I realised once i was done that i was doing 9 of them because i dropped them only to pick them up again. This will also save me energy on Monday. So now i am looking forward to Monday.. it would be great to complete all 16 bar muscle ups.

This is was is going to split the field this week.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-03-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:12 AM   #442
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and feeling quite good and wife is in a really good mood

But let me tell you about the weekend..... my glutes and hamstrings were so sore on Starterday it was unreal and we had to move our new replacement hot tub up onto the rocks behind our summer house!!! So i worked my legs for 4hrs during the move and when i got home it was a hot bath, stretching and flossing to get them to loosen up. Glutes still sore on Sunday morning, so it was out for a power walk for an hour with the wife and more flossing and stretching and to top it all off in the eveneing a hot bath for an hour... Now over the whole weekend the wife has been laughing at me and poking my glutes..... she had allot fo fun with that...

So the wife did her own thing today until it was time to judge me:
Warm up for the wife
1K row nice and easy to get the body going
little stretch between then
4K row nice and even pace no more than 23 strokes/min Time= 19.09 She was very pleased with that and had allot left in the tank.

Then she did:

5 rounds of:
5 wall balls 4kgs
5 K2C

then 3 rounds of:
5 wall balls 4kgs
5 K2C
4 lengths racked farmers walk 12kg Kbs

Then onto me, i know what i have to do today.... repeat 17.2 and complete at least 12 bar muscle ups. I missed 2 reps on Friday so i want to make up for them. I think 17.2 can be a good week for me to move up the leaderboard so i need to take this chance as the Bar MU's are hard for allot of masters.

Now i have that niggle in my left hamstring, so i rocked taped that well as that i knew would really help me and protect me from any injury.

Warm up
Warmed up on the rower for 1k then i started to hit some squats, bench press and in between 2 x 1min rows at a higher rate to get the heart rate up. Stretch and mobility at the same time. Did a few 2 T2B and zero bar muscle ups to as i felt quite good.

good stretch and mobility the whole time and after 40min i was ready.

Put on some 70s music classics to keep everyone happy in the gym, kool and the gang, ram jam, ELO you name it... all up beat tunes (in our CF area) and i got in the zone.... put my CF head on...

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 12 minutes of:
2 rounds of:
16 toes-to-bars
8 power cleans
Then, 2 rounds of:
16 bar muscle-ups
8 power cleans
Etc., alternating between toes-to-bars and bar muscle-ups every 2 rounds.

Men use 50-lb. dumbbells

Result = 92reps (6:01 was the tiebreak time)

I was so pleased with today and was way more efficient on the first 2 rounds. I did not stress out and was 40 seconds faster. Once i had completed the lunges and it was time for the bar muscle ups i took it easy... hit one, rest, hit one rest. I made sure my kipp was strong... i hit 13 in a row and missed nr 14.. rested and then hit nr 14... i gave it all i could and even the wife said i looked fresh and more focused.

Those 4 reps and the tiebreak time will really help this week... so pleased so pleased....

Cool down for both of us
clean up the mess and stretch for 20min..

Great day today....
Old 03-07-2017, 03:00 AM   #443
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and a little tired but otherwise feeling really good, no soreness in the legs but a little in my left calf. Wife was really tired but in a good mood and come around after 30min or so.

So now that the open is ongoing i also need to spend time with the wife working out together in partner workouts and that was the plan for today.

Warm up
4 rounds
One of us started on the rower while the other jogged 6 lengths of gym and then stretched for 1min. then rotate.

Then some stretching and mobility plus warming up with what was to come.

Partner workout complete as much or as little for each movement until rep count is completed, but you must change at least once during every movement. This is not for time and the focus is on quality of the movements.

Buy in on each round - 50 Du's or 100 Su's

40, 30, 20, 10reps of the following:

Calorie row
Wall balls 10kg/4kg
Pull ups
Push ups
T2B/K2C

Buy out at the end of WOD - 50 lengths of gym (=1000m)

This was a grinder and tough at times but we got through it.

Cool Down
Stretch and mobility for 20min while we cleaned up our mess.

A good day and put on a good sweat.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 AM   #444
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday morning and feeling great... totally the opposite for the wife... she was really tired this morning. I think i felt good because i took a power snooze on the soffa for 45min last night.

So the plan for today was snatch and nothing else... technique and quality.

Warm up
1k row, nice and easy.. 4min pace for me and 5min pace for the wife.
Allot of mobility and stretch of everything to get going.

Then onto light power snatches, shoulder presses, snatch balance, squats... from there we started snatch.

Snatch
To enable the wife to get the best feeling for the snatch she used a light barbell and did 1 hang power squat snatch and then a full snatch. After a number of reps she went to snatch only. She increased the weight to 20kgs and we started to work on the finer details.

We got her starting position in place, then her first pull... i also noticed via the filming that she did not move her knees out of the way... tried to get her to think about that too... then it was too much, too much to think about. Took it back a step and she hit a few good reps. I told her it is not how many reps you perform, reset your mind, rest in between and then do the reps as best you can. She is in a rush sometimes and she looses it a little.

20kgs/44lbs for allot of reps.

As for myself:
Technique ensuring eash and every rep is the same, or hoping for it. Started at 40kgs, felt really good, solid at the bottom and getting under the bar nice and low. Moved to 50kgs and also hit a number of good reps and the bar felt so light.. This is when i knew the technique must be getting there. Moved to 60kgs and things are really good, resting between reps to clear my head. Completed maybe 5 or 6 really good solid reps on that. Wife filmed me on one of them and there is 1 small thing to look at but otherwise very solid. Moved up to 65kgs, getting tired and lossing a little focus, fail and then 1 more fail... i hit the bottom position but was off balance so i let it go.

Back to 40kgs... treated every rep as if they per PR attempts... no sush... solid, solid solid... 6 almost identical reps.

In total we did 1hr on snatch

Cool down
Clear up our mess and stretch for 20min.

A good day but mostly taxing on the brain, trying to keep that focus.

Thats it for know.... rest day tomorrow and back for the open on Friday morning.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-08-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:07 AM   #445
Alex Burden

Profile:

Its Friday morning and that time again.... 17.3.. woke up a little earlier today as i had to pack the car with stuff we were taking to our summer house. At the gym 45 later today which felt a little weird.

Wife did her thing today until it was time for her to judge me.

Warm up
3min on the rower then onto stretch and mobility.
At the same time i squated and warmed up with hang power snatches, snatch balance and full snatches. In between i hit the rower for 1min intervals to get the heart rate up a little. In total it took me 45-50min before i was ready.

The wife hit the rower for 4min then stretched and stuff, back to the rower to hit 4k max 22 strokes/min. time 19.10 She wanted to go under 19min but talked to people at the same time she rowed , loads in the tank as she put it.

wife:
6 x 8 back extentions

4 rounds
10 sit ups
10 DB bench press

10x4 rear delts @ 3&4kgs

40 sit ups to finish it off.

For me - 17.3
So looking at 17.3 my plan was to reach the 135lb/61kg snatches. This is 81% of my 1rm so i know they will be tough but doable.

Prior to 8:00, complete:

3 rounds of:
6 chest-to-bar pull-ups
6 squat snatches, 95 lb/43kgs

Then, 3 rounds of:
7 chest-to-bar pull-ups
5 squat snatches, 135 lb/61kgs

*If all reps are completed, time cap extends by 4 minutes. (did not add info as i did not plan to get past 8min)

Result = 46reps (tiebreak 5.27)

I got to the 61kg snatches and completed 3 of them but actual missed 2 reps on them. So for monday my plan is to complete the first 5 reps at 61kgs. Looking back on this the C2B were quite easy, i broke them up from the start but i took too long on the set up for the snatches. I lost around a minute on this we worked out. So on Monday, speed up the set up to the bar and rip the hell out of the snatches, doing singles. This should give me enough time to complete the snatches and anything past that is a bonus.

The dividing factor this week is the snatches as i do not think that many people in the masters can actually snatch more than 60-70k... this could be another good moving week for me this week, i just need to go for it. Last week gave me the jump i needed as the motivation.

So looking forward to Monday.... with a goal in my head.

Cool down
clean up our mess and stretch for 30min.

thats that..........back Monday

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-10-2017 at 04:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 AM   #446
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and feeling quite good with a plan in my head... repeat and complete the 5 snatches @ 61kgs.

Wife did her thing today and later judged me. I have no idea what she did today apart from row 4k in 18:45.

Warm up
3min on the rower then onto stretch and mobility.
Then i squated and warmed up with hang power snatches, snatch balance, full snatches and a cuple of deadlifts. In total it took me 45-50min before i was ready.

For me - 17.3
So looking at 17.3 my plan was to reach the C2B earlier before the 135lb/61kg snatches and i hope today complete the 5 snatches. Tiebreak time will i hope give me the time i need.

Prior to 8:00, complete:

3 rounds of:
6 chest-to-bar pull-ups
6 squat snatches, 95 lb/43kgs

Then, 3 rounds of:
7 chest-to-bar pull-ups
5 squat snatches, 135 lb/61kgs

Result = 47 reps (tiebreak 4:43)
(Fridays result - 46 and 5.27)

So i was close to my goal but just did not reach it. My pacing was good, no rush and was 44 seconds faster but i missed a snatch at 43kgs in the final round which threw me off a little and cost me 10 seconds or so.

At 61kgs i hit the first 3 reps solid as hell and i think rushed a little on the 4th and missed it... took a breath and hit it nice and solid... 10 seconds left and set up for nr 5, 2 seconds left did not get the lift, not enough time...

The 2 misses is what i wanted to avoid... had i not missed them i would have had time to complete the C2B as they can be completed nice a quite in a final sprint... but so was not to be today... i was dissapointed for a while but i know that just the tiebreak time is worth allot and then on top of that that extra rep will move me a little up the field. My goal can still be reached.

Cool down
clean up and stretch for 20min and get over dissapointment.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:09 AM   #447
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and looking ahead... no time to grumble over 17.3 as i am still on target. Wife was in a good mood this morning, a little tired but still happy

So the plan was to work a little on lungs today, nothing fancy just keep it simple.

Warm up
some stretching and set up for what was to come. Not allot of warming up because the first stage was a bit of a warm up + a little more.

Plan - lungs
3min on then 3 min rest for 3 rounds.

Within 3min complete the following:
500m row and with the remaining time as many DU/SU's as possible.

Your score is your amount of DU/SU's
Wife SU's : 97,88,97 = 272 reps
Myself DU's : 45,67,43 = 155 reps

I got off to a bad start on the DU's and missed the first 2 reps and then i broke at 30 thinking to hit anothe big set.... should never have done that as i missed the flow. Second set i did 65 in a row and the final 2 reps after missing 2 starts.. last set i was just tired, but i was pleased with that. Those misses really hit you hard time wise.
Wife missed a few starts but really kept it going.. she was pleased with that.

Final part : 21-15-9
Dead lift 80/45kgs
Wall balls 10/4kgs
Cal row

Wife: 10.11
myself: 9.04

We both broke up the DL's i went unbroken on the wall balls, wife broke them up and on the rower we kept a good pace and tried to rest on it. at least 1000 cal/hr, wife 850-950 cal/hr pace and higher at the end.

We both enjoyed that.

Cool down
clean up our crap then stretch and mobility for 30min. Worked on the hips flexors allot today to help the wife out...

that was that, back tomorrow
Old 03-15-2017, 03:12 AM   #448
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday and third day in a row.. Different plan for today... some tech work and then some heavy work... not allot of reps but high quality lifts.

Warm up
3 min row nice and easy 2min/500m pace wife slightly slower.

Stretch and mobility to get ready for part 1.

Part 1 15min or so
The wife and i split up for this part.. she did ring pulls while i worked on HSPU tech.

Wife varied her stance and footing to change the load and pulling effect. At the end when she went back to her normal position it was way to easy, she just flew up.. so she has become stronger and progressed allot over time.

Myself... i have not worked on my HSPU tech for 3-4 weeks which is not good as there is a good chance they will turn up in the open. I was very rusty from the start and i had problems gettign vertical... not enough drive... sorted that out and could hold the vertical position quite easy. Still find it hard to just have my heels against the wall... that superman position is tough. Did a number of strict negative hand stands... nice and controlled all the way down... felt good after that.... allot more practice required.

Part 2 Squat cleans x9 singles
So today the idea is to complete 9 single squat cleans and whatever weight you like over as much time as you like.

Warm up, stretch and then decide from what weight we wanted to start from. Technique is priority, pull yourself under the bar as fast as possible and drive those elbows forward ensuring we caught the bar in the optimal rack position.

By only completing singles and having a break in between also meant we could reset, focus and reapeat allot easier.

Wife:
1 - 20kg
2 - 25kg
3 - 27kg
4 - 29kg
5 - 32kg
6 - 34kg
7 - 37kg
8 - 39kg/86lbs (93% of 1rm)
9 - 39kg fail - thinking way to much at the time.

Nice and solid and she felt better over time. Very quick under the bar and 2 very good pulls.

Myself
1 - 60kg
2 - 65kg
3 - 70kg
4 - 75kg
5 - 80kg
6 - 86kg
7 - 93kg
8 - 100kg/220lbs (95% of 1rm)
9 - 80kg

Very pleased with today and really had time to focus. the 100kg lift was so solid and no energy wasted as i pulled myself under the bar as quickly as i could and caugt the bar perfect at the bottom.

Cool down
clean up and stretch for 20min or so

that was that for today... 17.4 on Friday morning
Old 03-17-2017, 03:04 AM   #449
Alex Burden

Profile:

It's Friday morning and its that time again... i had a feeling earlier this week that it would be a repeat of 16.4... based on the fact that Brook is good at the deadlift... and i was right . Earlier this week we tried a different version of this and i thought it went well.

I know what i have to do to reach my goals for this year and last year i hit 165 in 12:13 and could not HSPU. This year.... still can't HSPU but i am almost there and i am going to give it a good try.

Wife will do her thing until it is tiem to judge me.

Warm up
Rower 3min

stretch and mobility, some squats, dead lift, wall balls to get going and some other stuff. After 40min i was ready.

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 13 minutes of:
55 deadlifts, 225 lb.
55 wall-ball shots, 20-lb. ball to 10-ft. target
55-calorie row
55 handstand push-ups

Result - 165reps in 10:43

I was really pleased with this result as this was 1:30 faster than last year and every second counts. I rested a little while and tried a HSPU, i come down but just could not get up. Going to see if i can get that rep one Monday... practice the kip on Sunday.

Cool down
stretch and clean up the mess for 25min.

Wife
hit the rower for 4k in 18:23
then
10, 9, 8, 7 --- 1
Burpees and situps.

That was it for this week, finished on a high note and very pleased. Back Monday
Old 03-20-2017, 02:03 AM   #450
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and i know what i have to do... REPEAT 17.4 i have tried HSPU over the weekend and i just can't get one... not a problem as i know by next year i will have them in the bag as i have BMU and muscle ups.

Wife went for a run on the treadmill and came down to me when it was time to judge me.

Warm up
3min on the rower to get going, some mobility and stretching between deadlifts and other stuff to make sure i am ready to go. In total i warmed up for 40min. I have found that when i really take he time to warm up things go better.

So based on Friday i know i have to be on the rower before 7:43 to beat my current time of 10:43. the reason for this is that i can hit 55cal in 3min even when my heart rate is really high. The deadlifts are to be done in singles but with minimal rest, but nice and even pacing all the way. My plan is to break the WB's up in 5x11reps as i know this will save time in the end.

I totally rely upon the wife for the pacing and she understands my plan before we start down to the smallest detail. She tells me important information at just the right time and keeps me motivated all of the time. One of the most important things is that she never says "only 20reps left" or anything like that... she keeps counting in small groups and tells me when i hit small goals and keeps me going.

17.4 REPEAT Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 13 minutes of:
55 deadlifts, 225 lb.
55 wall-ball shots, 20-lb. ball to 10-ft. target
55-calorie row
55 handstand push-ups

Result - 165reps in 9:37 crushed it

An improvment by 1:07 from Friday and more than 3 minutes from last year. i did the DL in 3.41 and i was done with the WBs at 6.21... all the time in my head i was thinking "get to the rower.... get to the rower..." when i was done with the WB's i did not see the clock but the wife said 6min something and i knew i was going to hit under 10min, question was by how much.

When i was done i was out of it.... i gave 100%, i was in the zone. If i could hit a HSPU it would have been amazing but i can't. But i will have them for next year.

Cool down
apart from trying not to puke, stretch and clean up our my crap...

A really great day today

Last edited by Alex Burden : 03-20-2017 at 02:23 AM.