CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-18-2017, 01:25 AM   #431
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Decided a good way to clear my head would be to go for a run/jog this morning.

So I got up at 6.30 and it was -5 Celsius/ 23 Fahrenheit outside brrrrrrrrrr.

I have a 4K route I ran when I was elite training while practicing kyokushin karate 5 years ago and I know I ran it under 20min, but back then I was 15lbs lighter.

This morning I did it in 21.29 which is not bad. Very pleased with that. Repeat tomorrow morning as well
Old 02-19-2017, 01:47 AM   #432
Alex Burden

Profile:

Second day to clear my head and now feeling better. Same 4km run as yesterday.

So I got up at 7.00 and it was 5 Celsius/ 41Fahrenheit outside which is a big difference compared to yesterday morning which makes it easier to breath.

Same goal as yesterday.... do not stop, keep going...

Today's time : 21.08 so I am pleased with that.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #433
Alex Burden

Profile:

Foam rolled and stretched for 30min and then I went out with the wife for a power walk for an hour, just over 6k.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:46 AM   #434
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning... little tired today and my legs are sore.. those 4k runs are not easy... allot of gradual climbs making it hard. Wife in a good mood too . So today we are going to split up and do our own thing today... no matter what happens today i am doing Fran... even if it kills me.

Warm up
Wife did her own thing, i worked on shoulders and legs for a while and some mobility.

The wife
She went on the treadmill today, 500m walk to get going and then ran 2.5k which in total took her 21min which is not bad.

The she came down to me and worked on her rear delts for a while, then KB swings and i also saw 1 arm OH lunges with a 12kgs KB.

Myself
I did squats and front squats for X number of sets x 5 reps, not really keeping count. They felt heavy as my legs were sore. Took the weight up to 80kgs.

In between this i did shoulder presses up to 40kgs and pull ups to get things going. So after a while i thought now its time... i'm tired and sore in my legs but i need to do Fran...

Time 8.40.... really slow today !!!! i took it easy and did not rush it but those thrusters took it all out of me, they got my heart racing and i rested allot more than i really needed. The important thing to take away from this was that i was going to do Fran no matter, yes i could have waited for a good day, some other time whent things are better but that is defeating the object. My goal is to do this again after the open and my goal is 6min, my previous time 2 years ago was 8min, plus i know i have it in me.

You know when you get a feeling that you have a spanner in the works and something is making things hard for you, i have that sort of feeling. Sort of hit a dip/low just before the open but i am going to get out of that as soon as i can...

After that, after about 5-10min i did small sets of pull ups and shoulder presses.

Cool down
Both the wife an i stretched for 20min.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 02-20-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:54 AM   #435
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and feeling great and very positive.... even felt allot more positive last night which is a move in the right direction. Wife was in a good mood and very funny this morning

Warm up
4min C2 rower to get going

then stretch and mobility while warming up wioth what was to come.

Today - Snatch
Its all about technique today and quality of the lifts and not the amount of lifts. One of the goals for today was to help the wife progress into a full snatch.

So together using different racks we started pressing overhead to get the shoulders going, then PVC pipe, high elbows progressing into power snatch and hang squat snatch.

Using different weighted barbells we worked on OHS to hit that stability at the top and a good starting position and then hitting that bottom position and stability, snatch balance and heaving.

Then i started to help the wife progress from hang squat snatch into a full snatch. I let her do her thing first and how she thought she should perform the movement and then i started from the bottom and the barbell position and built up on small things during the hour and 15min we were there.

At the end the wife performed a number of really good snatches and was very stable at the bottom and could drive the weight up. She took the barbell up to 23kgs concentrating on quality and not the weight/quantity.

I went from 40-50-60-65kgs snatches (86% of 1rm, my pr is 75kgs). I missed a few in a row at 60 when the wife told me that i was rushing the first pull! it was so fast. I slowed it down and then hit that explosive second pull and bingo the weight flew up and i was rock solid at the bottom. I hit 3 really good lifts at 65kgs. I finished off with 5x10 OHS @ 40kgs to test my stabilty... so solid.

Cool down
stretch for 20min and clean up our stuff

One big No No for today was that i helped a couple of people with a few things at the same time i was doing my thing. Wife and i discussed this in the car on the way to work and she told me to stop helping people during our workouts, do it afterwards when we are done. I had to restart and refocus on my lifts. Then i thought about it and agreed, so i will think about this in the future.

Thats that for today... back tomorrow and will rest Thursday prior to the open.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #436
Alex Burden

Profile:

So for the next 5 weeks Wednesday is now a training day and Thursday is now our rest day. Both in a good mood and looking forward to today.

Today is C2 rower day working on technique and efficiency efficiency efficiency. This is based on the thread I posted on rowing With the vlog. (Not my vlog but a link to one)

I think we worked on this for 80min or so. I am quite a good rower and can row 500m in 1:29 (2 yrs ago) and easily hit 1:35s today. The wife is also a good rower but looses it and gets irritated, so today I took her through everything from the start to the end. The most important thing was for her to actually see the difference in technique and see the results from doing it correctly.

Starting with set up of the drag and setting this correctly. We also set up other rowers to Actually see the difference between old and newer rowers.
125-130 for women
130-135 for men

I then went though foot positions and getting the correct body position before the pull. All of this took 25min or so. Next thing was to test everything in short steps of 30 seconds then increase to 1min but getting off the rower in between every step to evaluate the results. The perfect method to measure is using watts on the display.

First test: 2km row, Max strokes 22-23/min

Wife - 9:08
Myself - 7:54

Now the goal was to be efficient and see how we felt afterwards. We both felt great, it was easy and our heartrates we very low. On average the wife had trouble to keep a 2:15/500m for 2k but today it was as easy as hell. So now she has started to understand the whole concept.

Final Test
250m for time
But
Drag must be set correctly
Max stroke rate is 26/min

Results:
Wife - 1:02.2 then 1:00.8 and finally 59.9 seconds
She felt amazing afterwards as this was a massive improvement and she kept it together the whole time. When she got off the rower she could talk normally which means she was super efficient and her technique was good

Myself - 53.2 then 50.7 and finally 50.3 seconds
Afterwards I felt great, low heart rate and it was so easy. I have always been a good rower but taking the time to refresh my skills and work on the small details really helped. Once the open is over I am going to see if I can beat the fastest time for 500m at the gym of 1:26.

Cool down
Stretch 15min or so.

Last edited by Alex Burden : 02-22-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:55 AM   #437
Alex Burden

Profile:

The time has come that everyone has been waiting for

Actually slept really well but did wake up 30min early, maybe the anticipation of The Open. So as usual, sat on the loo and started the ipad up and went strait to Castro and the announcement... I was happy and my first reaction was i can do this, no idea how far i will get but i will give it a damn good try.

So the wife did her thing her thing today and then came down to me to judge my score. As usual i load a film but i never publish the workout and that is due to the fact that i do not want to be on social media. I keep this very limited to this forum only

Warm up
Hit the rower first, very light for 3min or so.
Then i started to hit the bench press to get the shoulders and chest going, in between i would stretch and jog a few lengths to get the heart going a little. I hit the bench because of the burpees, this is the same movement.
At the same time i also warmed up with 14kg dumbell to get the shoulders ready for the movement in the snatch. Some more light stretching and jogging and felt good.

So after 30-35min i was ready.

Now before i started i had an idea... this was to use my belt when snatching to save the lower back, the reason for this is once you get tired in your lower back everything will break down.

Workout 17.1
For time:
10 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
20 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
30 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
40 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
50 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs

Men use 50-lb. dumbbell and 24-in. box

Time cap: 20 minutes

Result: 201 reps 17:00 i was done with my burpees.

I am really pleased with this as i had no idea how far i would get. I kept moving at a nice and easy pace and rested when i put my belt on for the snatches. My back felt great the whole time and i never rested for that long at all. This was a grinder.

When i started the last snatches i put my belt on, i should have left it as i would have got a couple more reps based on time, but i think this kept my back safe the whole time and i used my legs the whole time.

Repeat on Monday.

I watched Ro vs Boz once i got to work and i was 19 reps short of Ro, based on his result i think i did a great job this week. I am now in that positive fram of mind

Cool down
sweat, breath, sweat a little more and breath.... then stretch for 20min.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:15 AM   #438
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and feeling ok, little tired but not so bad. So the plan for today is a repeat and see what happens. The wife was going to do her thing today until the time she was going to judge me.

Warm up
Hit the rower first, very light for 3min or so, bench press to get the shoulders and chest going, in between stretch and jog a few lengths to get the heart going a little. Warmed up with 14kg dumbell to get the shoulders ready for the movement in the snatch. Some more light stretching and jogging and felt good.

So after 35min or so i was ready. Same idea as Friday, use my belt when snatching.

Workout 17.1
For time:
10 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
20 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
30 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
40 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs
50 dumbbell snatches
15 burpee box jump-overs

Men use 50-lb. dumbbell and 24-in. box

Time cap: 20 minutes

Result: Did not finish,

I was done with my round of 40 snatches at 15:30 and there was no way i could reach the time i had on my first attempt of 17:00 done with the burpees so i decided to stop. I gave it a chance but it was not there today. I must say i am very pleased with Fridays result i am i hoping it gives me the start i need for my goal for this year. I was ahead of my time for the first 2 rounds but lost 30 seonds between the 30 and 40's which did not give me the chance to beat my result.

The Wife
Warm up on the rower

Dumbell bench press 6x10 reps 8/9/10kgs dumbells
K2C quite a few sets
Racked farmer walk with 12 and 16kgs kettle bells
Superman holds and quite a few of them

I think she did some other stuff but i am not sure what.

Cool down
Then a good stretch for 20min

week 1 of the open is over for me, just to look forward to Friday
Old 02-28-2017, 02:29 AM   #439
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and feeling quite good... now had i known the deadline had been moved i would have repeated 17.1 again!!!!! but never received any info about that

Anyway, back to today.... going to do something with the wife... a bit of fun.

Warm up 2 rounds
25 DU/50 SU
run 4 lengths of gym
25 DU/50 SU

while the other is on the rower... alternate after each round... this is used to put a little sweat on. Stretch and some mobility.

On the menu today

1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5 of each
Dead lift 70/45kgs
Strict pull ups

5 rounds of
5 wall balls 10/4kgs
5 Dead lift 70/45kgs

5 rounds of
2 C&J 60/20kgs
5 T2B

10 rounds of

Superman holds 10seconds on/10 off

Then a little jerk technique for the wife for 5min or so. i did another 10 reps of C&J at 60kgs.

Cool down
Stretch for 15min and help someone with their shoulder mobility... i am going to have to start to charge people soon or the gym should employ me as a personal trainer.

That was that... back tomorrow and rest Friday

Oh, and i hope the open went well for all of you
Old 03-01-2017, 02:58 AM   #440
Alex Burden

Profile:

Wednesday and looking forward to our plan.... both of us slept really well last night which should help today. Wife is in a good mood as she is working from home today which also ment we could get up 30min later and spend more time at the gym today.

Warm up
1000m on the C2 rower, 4min for me and 4.30 for the wife.... nice easy pace just to get the blood flowing.

Mobility and stretch for what was to come and continue with this once we started working out until we felt we were 100% ready.

The plan for today 1RM Snatch, with a twist
To be able to get to the snatch we had to complete 2 other movements before we hit the snatch. We could choose our own weights.

1 rep OHS, 1 rep Deadlift, 1 rep snatch per round

Wife hit the following:
OHS -- 15 - 20 - 20 - 22 - 24 - 24 - 25kgs new 1RM pr
DL --- 45 - 45 - 50 - 50 - 50 - 50 - 60kgs
Snatch- 15 - 15 - 15 - 15 - 15 - 19 - 19kgs

The wife did actually numerous rounds at the same weight at different times to feel comfortable getting under the bar for the snatch.

I hit the following:
OHS.. -- 20 - 40 - 50 - 55 - 60 - 65 - 70 - 75kgs/165lbs
DL ----- 60 - 90 - 90 - 90 - 100 - 100 - 110 - 110kgs/242lbs
Snatch -20 - 40 - 50 - 55 - 60 - 65 - 65 - 70kgs/154lbs FFFF then good. (93% of my 1rm)

Just like the wife i did numerous sets on a few of the rounds to make sure i got into it and felt stable. Very pleased with today and i am very pleased with the snatch, not the best looking snatch, little unstable at the bottom but held it and drove it up quite easily.

Cool Down
Some lower back and hamstring stretches and then 25min or so general stretch while we cleaned up our mess.

A really good day today... rest tomorrow... back Friday for the open.