CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-20-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Kyle Hougendobler

Profile:
Assault Bike

Our gym has recently acquired two assault bikes and they are beautiful. Myself and a few others have noticed a huuuuge difference between the Schwinn bikes regarding work being done. For instance, I was going about the same rpm as my friend next to me on the Schwinn and we were going for calories. He reached 50 calories when I was only at 22 on the Assault bike. Did this test about 3 times we new people all the same results. We then did a mile. Took me 4 minutes to do a mile on the assault and 2 mins on the Schwinn.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Jason A Smith

Profile:
Re: Assault Bike

This has been discussed by a lot of people. They do not tick cals or distance anywhere near the same as the older (or newer) Airdyne's.

I know the folks over at OPT in Scottsdale and Calgary noticed this right away. I believe they will be looking at standardizing this in the future.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Kyle Hougendobler

Profile:

Thank you! I guess whatever calorie count I'm suppose to do I'll just cut it in half
Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Hougendobler View Post
Our gym has recently acquired two assault bikes and they are beautiful. Myself and a few others have noticed a huuuuge difference between the Schwinn bikes regarding work being done. For instance, I was going about the same rpm as my friend next to me on the Schwinn and we were going for calories. He reached 50 calories when I was only at 22 on the Assault bike. Did this test about 3 times we new people all the same results. We then did a mile. Took me 4 minutes to do a mile on the assault and 2 mins on the Schwinn.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this?
When you say same RPM, are you talking about pedal cadence or wheel RPM? Gauging wheel RPM by sight I'd argue could vary wildly, but I'm assuming you're talking pedal cadence.

In which case, why would you be surprised that two bikes by two different companies would have different different gearing and different power curves? So sure, if you're building a competition around air-biking, then by design, it's common sense you have to have the same bikes for everyone, then pray you don't have huge differentials between different machines, just like everybody would need to be on the same rower, or lifting calibrated weights, etc etc.

Beyond all of that, distances on any air bike are just dumb. It's calculating against pedal strokes then multiplying a distance per stroke. Depending on the gearing and the resistance, that could mean anything. So air bike calculation models use some selected standard for power required to travel a given distance at a given speed. How accurate that is to real life is arbitrary, especially when you consider air bikes. The resistance vs fan speed curve provided by which are subject to variability from barometric pressure, air density, humidity, temperature, among other things, so whatever calculated calibration they've used at the lab to design their distance system from is in error as soon as it leaves the store.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Base View Post
When you say same RPM, are you talking about pedal cadence or wheel RPM? Gauging wheel RPM by sight I'd argue could vary wildly, but I'm assuming you're talking pedal cadence.

In which case, why would you be surprised that two bikes by two different companies would have different different gearing and different power curves? So sure, if you're building a competition around air-biking, then by design, it's common sense you have to have the same bikes for everyone, then pray you don't have huge differentials between different machines, just like everybody would need to be on the same rower, or lifting calibrated weights, etc etc.

Beyond all of that, distances on any air bike are just dumb. It's calculating against pedal strokes then multiplying a distance per stroke. Depending on the gearing and the resistance, that could mean anything. So air bike calculation models use some selected standard for power required to travel a given distance at a given speed. How accurate that is to real life is arbitrary, especially when you consider air bikes. The resistance vs fan speed curve provided by which are subject to variability from barometric pressure, air density, humidity, temperature, among other things, so whatever calculated calibration they've used at the lab to design their distance system from is in error as soon as it leaves the store.
Typically in cycling, RPM's always refer to how fast your feet are moving.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Andy Shirley

Profile:

To chime in: Our affiliate recently got one. It seems to be at least twice as hard quantifiably. Half the calories per minute for same effort or twice the time for a set distance.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Whoa, great thread. I almost jumped in on getting one but will hold off until more develops. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Kyle Hougendobler

Profile:

As far as the bike goes like I said it's pretty beefy and pretty, haha. If I have to do 50 calories on the airdyn at a time I just do 25 and its been the equivalent of someone doing 50 on the Schwinn next to me.

I really like the big screen which displays watts, calories, time, distance, rpms, etc.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Michael Cook

Profile:

Question for the OP, Kyle:

Other than the fact that rpm, distance, and calories measured by the Assault Bike and AirDyne are not easily comparable - what are the differences between the Assault Bike and Airdyne? Is the Assault Bike significantly better than the AirDyne?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Andy Shirley

Profile:

I own an Airdyne, and have now done some significant time on the gyms new Assault Bike. They feel about the same, and as long as you know you are never gonna get 300cal/10min on the Assault Bike, you will be fine. I like the more adjustable seat, and the better monitor is nice to have, especially compared to the Airdyne.