CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Judi Oyama

Profile:
Skateboarding and Crossfit

This is my first post. I have just started doing Crossfit the past 4 months. Besides running and cycling I skateboarded parks and slalom skated but not regularly. I started skating more regularly thanks to Crossfit. I was not planning on competing much this year but after training and going to the US Nationals this past July and placing 2 nd to the current 9x World Champion. I could tell that the work outs were really helping my cardio and leg strength. I am curious if their are any other skaters that do Crossfit in Santa Cruz (or elsewhere)? Big thanks to Jason, Chris, Cliff and Sam at Crossfitwest. I will let you know how it goes at the World Championships in Texas Oct 12-14. I will be racing women 10 and 20 years younger. I wish I would of found Crossfit sooner but as they say it's never too late.

World Championships of Slalom in Houston (Hockley) Texas on October 11th 12th and 13th 2013.

Thanks, Judi O
Skater for Life!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
Joe C Thomas

Profile:
Re: Skateboarding and Crossfit

That's really cool! Good luck!!
Old 09-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Nick Troutman

Profile:

I used to skate pretty regularly, but haven't in probably 4+ years. And I've only been doing CF for ~6mo. I'm also (unfortunately) nowhere near Santa Cruz.

Best of luck to you - skate and destroy!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Judi Oyama

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C Thomas View Post
That's really cool! Good luck!!
Thanks Joe. My cousin and her husband got me interested besides living in a town where everyone and their brother does it. He is a jet pilot instructor and they both do Crossfit.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Judi Oyama

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Troutman View Post
I used to skate pretty regularly, but haven't in probably 4+ years. And I've only been doing CF for ~6mo. I'm also (unfortunately) nowhere near Santa Cruz.

Best of luck to you - skate and destroy!
Nick thanks. I stopped slalom racing for 20 years and then the sport starting happening again. Never thought I'd start up again and then keep racing for another 12 years. I keep thinking I'm done but then I have so much fun when I race I do it again and I'm no spring chicken. Currently eldest skateboarding mom competing at the races. So 4 years is like nothing you can get back on it easily.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Judi Oyama

Profile:
Re: Skateboarding and Crossfit Update

Wanted to post a little update on the results of the Slalom Skateboard World Championships from last weekend. Here is link of my post with photos results and some videos.
http://judioyama.blogspot.com/2013/1...pionships.html

I did well considering we had rain delays. Day one we raced into the evening. Start wasn't until 5:00 pm. They offered two ramps to start one the BAR (Big *** Ramp) which was 12 feet high the other a standard 5' regulation ramp. It was scary and worth a two extra seconds in time. I placed 2nd behind the 9x world champion in the Giant Slalom. Day two same deal with the rain and we ended up doing two single lane runs for the Hybrid results no head to head because of the wet pavement. I place 3rd by 1/5000 of a second to one of Europe's fastest slalom racers. We got rained out on the Tight Slalom my favorite event so tie went to the hybrid race which gave me 3rd overall in the Women's. If my addition is correct that will bump me up to the overall Masters Women World Champion for the 2013 current standings their are a few more months to the year so that may not stick. The Europeans have 70 races a year and the US only about 6. No more races set for the USA. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Thank you to the trainers at CrossfitWest in Santa Cruz and the women and men that put up with the slow elder woman in the 7:00 am classes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TheWorldSlalom03Judioyama.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	12976  
Old 04-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #7
Judi Oyama

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi Oyama View Post
Wanted to post a little update on the results of the Slalom Skateboard World Championships from last weekend. Here is link of my post with photos results and some videos.
http://judioyama.blogspot.com/2013/1...pionships.html

I did well considering we had rain delays. Day one we raced into the evening. Start wasn't until 5:00 pm. They offered two ramps to start one the BAR (Big *** Ramp) which was 9 feet high the other a standard 5' regulation ramp. It was scary and worth a two extra seconds in time. I placed 2nd behind the 9x world champion in the Giant Slalom. Day two same deal with the rain and we ended up doing two single lane runs for the Hybrid results no head to head because of the wet pavement. I place 3rd by 1/5000 of a second to one of Europe's fastest slalom racers. We got rained out on the Tight Slalom my favorite event so tie went to the hybrid race which gave me 3rd overall in the Women's. If my addition is correct that will bump me up to the overall Masters Women World Champion for the 2013 current standings their are a few more months to the year so that may not stick. The Europeans have 70 races a year and the US only about 6. No more races set for the USA. Thanks for the kind words everyone. I would have to say Crossfit has been good for my skateboarding.

Thank you to the trainers at CrossfitWest in Santa Cruz and the women and men that put up with the slow elder woman in the 7:00 am classes.
Little update to this I accidentally wrote that start ramp was 12 feet it was 9. As it turns out the 2013 year end I took the overall Women Masters World ranking 2013 not by a ton but it's the end number that counts.
1 Judi Oyama (USA) 1315
2 Lisa Scott (USA) 1227
3 Paula Kalliokoski (FIN) 907
4 Renata Skrabalova (CZE) 773
5 Erin Barber (USA) 347
Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Congrats on your success, Judi!

Do you think you would have done so well without CrossFit? That is, how much did it contribute to your success this season?
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Kate Dixson-Clark

Profile:

very cool!! Very impressed with your achievements.

P.S. Santa Cruz rocks
Old 04-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi Oyama View Post
Little update to this I accidentally wrote that start ramp was 12 feet it was 9. As it turns out the 2013 year end I took the overall Women Masters World ranking 2013 not by a ton but it's the end number that counts.
1 Judi Oyama (USA) 1315
2 Lisa Scott (USA) 1227
3 Paula Kalliokoski (FIN) 907
4 Renata Skrabalova (CZE) 773
5 Erin Barber (USA) 347

Congrats; that's exciting!

How does the scoring system work out that you can win the world championships when there's only 6 races in the US and a total of 76 of them worldwide? If I were European I'd be ticked

I'm a long-time casual park/street skateboarder, never really got any better than basic stuff, but I found it to be great stress relief, but as I age, the injuries take longer and longer to heal... I guess wearing real pads might help with that . I've started skating again every couple of weeks and I discovered how much of a different demand it is from weight training. So many different demands in multiple directions which is a bit lacking in most gym time.