CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Vance Van Hees

Profile:
assault pack

Can anyone recommend a 3 day assault pack that is tough enough to trail run with a 40# load? In the last week, I busted the shoulder straps on 2 fox advanced tactical assault packs and i am really fed up. Any help?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Vance Van Hees

Profile:
assault pack

Hey, can anyone recommend an assault pack that is tough enough to trail run with a 40# load? In the last week I have busted the shoulder straps on 2 fox advanced 3 day tactical assault packs and I am getting really frustrated...any help?

DO NOT CROSS-POST
!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #3
Andrew D White

Profile:
Re: assault pack

Yep.

Here's the problem:
The Fox packs are "tactical" packs and aren't made to carry a payload like 40+ lbs under dynamic load conditions (running).
What happens is the straps aren't engineered for that load so they fail. The failure starts at the hipbelt. The hipbelt is supposed to support the load of the pack and transfer it to the pelvic girdle so you stay balanced and don't stress the back. When the hipbelt fails to do that, the shoulder straps take the load.

What you need is more along the lines of a trekking pack with a robust hipbelt and attachment as well as more robust pack straps to keep the pack in place when running.
Look at this Deuter pack rated for 50+ lbs and note the difference between the hip and shoulder materials and attachments.
http://www.deuterusa.com/products/pr...ert=aircontact (wfs)
Note also that it's only 2.5 lbs more than your featherweight fox piece, but has more convenient hydration pouch locations, etc.

I would look at trekking style packs, specifically in this volume range and with this type suspension system. Running with 40+ lbs is a serious dynamic load and you'll have to spend some coin to get a good new pack that will not break under load conditions.

If you're strapped for cash you might troll some of the backpacking message boards and see if you can pick up a used one for a song.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
James Hwang

Profile:

Not all tactical gear is made the same. They may look alike, but the quality can vary tremendously. Many product lines are simply re-branded products and not designed for extreme use.

If you are set on a "tactical" backpack, I would recommend a backpack from the SO Tech Mission Pack product line. SO Tech provides equipment to the US Army and to other military and law enforcement agencies. Their products survice the harsh conditions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I have used their equipment for over 12 years. Their products are tough.

Depending on how big you want your pack, try looking at their Mission Pack-Expedition (the biggest pack and might be too large for you), their Mission Pack-Trek , or their Mission Pack-Urban.

I agree with Andrew and that you should consider a hip belt. SO Tech sells the Mission Pack Belt to attach to the backpack.

All of the following link is family and work safe.
Their website is www.specopstech.com.

-Stay safe
Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Rick Hardin

Profile:

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/extend...ratorpack.aspx

(WFS)
Old 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Vance Van Hees

Profile:

gents...thanks for the info, going back to the drawing board on this...i really want an assault style pack for the smaller size and the way it fits, also out of some pride as a former recon scout...we used to do ruck runs with the old school army rucks and never had a problem, but i dont like the exterior frame and the pack sits too far off my back and isnt hydropack compatible...i may need to reduce the weight i am looking to carry, say down to twenty or twenty five pounds...btw, ruck sprints and runs absolutely redline the old heart rate and produces amazing levels of oxygen shortage...also produces all sorts of strange looks from other folks...so thanks again, will let you know what i come up with...
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
Vance Van Hees

Profile:

...if anyone is interested, i had to regroup and figure this out...after talking to many 'experts', i came up with my own idea...i bought the camelbak motherlode hydapack which holds roughly 10# of water (2.5 liters) and put 10# of sand in the main pouch, then put that over my 20# weight vest...40# load and the ability to change loads as needed...tried it today and worked great...of course our 100 degree weather may have cooked my brain, load worked well...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Not meaning to jack the thread, but what is yalls opinion on the usmc ilbe pack? Ive been thinking of getting one from ebay.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
James A Stevens

Profile:

I use a load bearing vest myself (being in the military as a reservist) and it works a treat.

You could try something like this:

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...bID=1&CatID=59 (WFS)

or

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...bID=1&CatID=59 (WFS)

Both those would work for 40 or 50 pounds. In my LBV I just use weight plates and sandbags to build up the weight. Oh and usually a camelback as well, the 3 litres (whatever that is in non-metric) which equals about 7 or 8 pounds and helps with hydration of course.

Quick story. Using military kit is fun when you go out in public and CF workouts - people stand and stare in amazement. I do the Full Mission Profile workouts from brassringfitness.com (wfs) and these a pretty intense, I had a personal trainer watch me doing 100 burpees with a 35 pounds on my vest, I think the sight of a 46 year old man punching out (okay slowly) burpees made an impression, he asked me what kind of training I was going I fibbed a bit and said "Crossfit, have a look at the website sometime it's really good stuff." Don't know if he did, haven't seen him since.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
James Hwang

Profile:

I am glad that worked out for you Vance. If you are running using the Camelbak hydration pouch, I recommend the Camelbak Elixer. Easy to clean and adds a bit to plain water.

I have made my own sand inserts by using a sandbag and spraying foam sealant into it so that I can change my load. I use an old Army surplus pack since I don't run on trails and if it breaks, its no big deal.

Morgan, I do not have any personnal experience with the USMC pack, but Arc'Teryx is a solid company, as is Propper. My only advice is beware of knock-offs on Ebay. Nylon gear is copied by everyone in the industry and some manufacturers make a product with a copied design, without the quality control or engineering.

There are a ton of companies out there and only a handful that I would recommend depending on the expected use and budget. If you get one, get it from a good manufacturer.

-Stay safe