CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Tom Woodside
Departed Tom Woodside is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 114
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Is the point of this post to keep the stupid little new people from asking their stupid little questions?

Look, everyone that is new is going to ask the same question over and over again. It's the way it is. People need a way to introduce themselves into the fold and asking a question is the way to do it. Would you rather that they showed up and posted like they were the God of Fitness on their first post? I think not.

One thing that these boards have a problem with is immediately jumping on the new guy for not searching. It is very easy to post a link to a thread that answers their question or, better yet, answer their question, and welcome them aboard. That does happen sometimes. But, also new folks get smacked down by the cultists for asking, "Will I get big muscles?" Not a very warm welcome, if you ask me. I think that everyone needs to just tolerate the new folks and welcome them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
Member Lawrence "Bo" Boland III is offline
 
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fairfax  VA
Posts: 1,645
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodside View Post
Is the point of this post to keep the stupid little new people from asking their stupid little questions?

Look, everyone that is new is going to ask the same question over and over again. It's the way it is. People need a way to introduce themselves into the fold and asking a question is the way to do it. Would you rather that they showed up and posted like they were the God of Fitness on their first post? I think not.

One thing that these boards have a problem with is immediately jumping on the new guy for not searching. It is very easy to post a link to a thread that answers their question or, better yet, answer their question, and welcome them aboard. That does happen sometimes. But, also new folks get smacked down by the cultists for asking, "Will I get big muscles?" Not a very warm welcome, if you ask me. I think that everyone needs to just tolerate the new folks and welcome them.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

It's not about being mean... it's about giving people information upfront and having them legitimately learn it. It's one thing if someone is posting an introduction of themselves, telling them about their goals, etc (which I love to see)... it's an entirely different beast when someone puts their first post up as a question that is answered a few posts below his/hers.

__________________
30/m/5'9"/175-ish lbs Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Tamara Cohen
Member Tamara Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 4,392
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodside View Post
Is the point of this post to keep the stupid little new people from asking their stupid little questions?
I don't see it that way at all. I'm pretty darn internet savvy, and I think the main page and the forums are confusing as heck for new people. People "miss" information that is obvious because there is so much of it, and it isn't organized well. And, the search function is one of the worst I have ever used.

The info is out there...why not make it a little easier for people to find? If people use the sticky, it will be a huge time saver for them. If most people miss or ignore the sticky, oh well. I think it's still worth it.

I tolerate all and welcome all, and I can also deal if I get smacked down every once in a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Jeff Evans
Member Jeff Evans is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 296
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

The fact that you have made this is awesome. This is one of the few web boards I've seen that doesn't have many (any?) stickies and really needs them. Now, we just need to add a little section for the whole calories in/calories out, carbs/fat make you fat vs. don't, GCBC, etc. debates, which includes the views of both "sides" along with relevant links and references. Then we can just link to it any time the topic starts to come up on the nutrition boards instead of debating it yet again ad nauseum in every third thread.

Keep up the good work!
__________________
www.jeffevans.us (occasional bad language, otherwise w/fs)
Food log

Last edited by Jeff Evans : 08-11-2009 at 09:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
Member Lawrence "Bo" Boland III is offline
 
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fairfax  VA
Posts: 1,645
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
The fact that you have made this is awesome. This is one of the few web boards I've seen that doesn't have many (any?) stickies and really needs them. Now, we just need to add a little section for the whole calories in/calories out, carbs/fat make you fat vs. don't, GCBC, etc. debates, which includes the views of both "sides" along with relevant links and references. Then we can just link to it any time the topic starts to come up on the nutrition boards instead of debating it yet again ad nauseum in every third thread.

Keep up the good work!
Heh... I'm not sure that there will ever be universal agreement on these boards when it comes to nutrition.

On the topic of getting a sticky... I'm not sure how it works, but I've submitted a request to a couple of mods and put it in the Technical Support forum, but if you feel that this should be a sticky, please do the same.
__________________
30/m/5'9"/175-ish lbs Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #16
Brian Bedell
Member Brian Bedell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lantana  FL
Posts: 2,870
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Tom,
Maybe we should delete the FAQ then based on your theory?

"Sticky's" not only serve to help us "Gods of Fitness" from having to answer the same questions over and over, but also help to serve the newbs. They can get more information faster by reading the sticky then they can be asking individual questions with new threads. They may also learn stuff they didn't even think to ask by reading a sticky, or FAQ.

And I could not agree more with the theory "teach a man to fish."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
Jeff Evans
Member Jeff Evans is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 296
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Heh... I'm not sure that there will ever be universal agreement on these boards when it comes to nutrition.
There doesn't really need to be any agreement, just an overview that presents all sides of the issue with arguments supplied by each "camp", similar to how Wikipedia (w/fs) articles work. It would go a long way toward reducing the same rehashed debates that play out on a regular basis with no new or interesting information entering the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
On the topic of getting a sticky... I'm not sure how it works, but I've submitted a request to a couple of mods and put it in the Technical Support forum, but if you feel that this should be a sticky, please do the same.
Done.
__________________
www.jeffevans.us (occasional bad language, otherwise w/fs)
Food log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III
Member Lawrence "Bo" Boland III is offline
 
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Fairfax  VA
Posts: 1,645
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
There doesn't really need to be any agreement, just an overview that presents all sides of the issue with arguments supplied by each "camp", similar to how Wikipedia (w/fs) articles work. It would go a long way toward reducing the same rehashed debates that play out on a regular basis with no new or interesting information entering the mix.
Hmm... I like the idea of this. Methinks we need some of the more vocal people from each "camp" to collaborate.
__________________
30/m/5'9"/175-ish lbs Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
Jeff Evans
Member Jeff Evans is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 296
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

By the way, the Google search suggestion is a good one. Let's expand it with some examples. All links below are example searches on Google.com and are w/fs.
__________________
www.jeffevans.us (occasional bad language, otherwise w/fs)
Food log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
Jeff Evans
Member Jeff Evans is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore  MD
Posts: 296
Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

While we're at it, you can use Google to do unit conversions (with the keyword "in") - useful when weighing/measuring food or masses of iron. All links below are example searches on Google.com and are w/fs.
__________________
www.jeffevans.us (occasional bad language, otherwise w/fs)
Food log
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to read, research, etc? Howard Wilcox Running a CrossFit Facility 7 03-05-2008 02:04 PM
Anyone read this? Joe Marsh Community 2 09-03-2006 04:06 PM
An interesting read Dave Clarke Community 1 11-12-2004 12:31 PM
Interesting read... Jonathon Edward Nutrition 29 11-08-2004 07:09 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.