CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-11-2009, 03:18 PM   #11
Tom Woodside

Profile:

Re: New to the Forum? ***READ THIS FIRST***

Is the point of this post to keep the stupid little new people from asking their stupid little questions?

Look, everyone that is new is going to ask the same question over and over again. It's the way it is. People need a way to introduce themselves into the fold and asking a question is the way to do it. Would you rather that they showed up and posted like they were the God of Fitness on their first post? I think not.

One thing that these boards have a problem with is immediately jumping on the new guy for not searching. It is very easy to post a link to a thread that answers their question or, better yet, answer their question, and welcome them aboard. That does happen sometimes. But, also new folks get smacked down by the cultists for asking, "Will I get big muscles?" Not a very warm welcome, if you ask me. I think that everyone needs to just tolerate the new folks and welcome them.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #12
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodside View Post
Is the point of this post to keep the stupid little new people from asking their stupid little questions?

Look, everyone that is new is going to ask the same question over and over again. It's the way it is. People need a way to introduce themselves into the fold and asking a question is the way to do it. Would you rather that they showed up and posted like they were the God of Fitness on their first post? I think not.

One thing that these boards have a problem with is immediately jumping on the new guy for not searching. It is very easy to post a link to a thread that answers their question or, better yet, answer their question, and welcome them aboard. That does happen sometimes. But, also new folks get smacked down by the cultists for asking, "Will I get big muscles?" Not a very warm welcome, if you ask me. I think that everyone needs to just tolerate the new folks and welcome them.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

It's not about being mean... it's about giving people information upfront and having them legitimately learn it. It's one thing if someone is posting an introduction of themselves, telling them about their goals, etc (which I love to see)... it's an entirely different beast when someone puts their first post up as a question that is answered a few posts below his/hers.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Woodside View Post
I don't see it that way at all. I'm pretty darn internet savvy, and I think the main page and the forums are confusing as heck for new people. People "miss" information that is obvious because there is so much of it, and it isn't organized well. And, the search function is one of the worst I have ever used.

The info is out there...why not make it a little easier for people to find? If people use the sticky, it will be a huge time saver for them. If most people miss or ignore the sticky, oh well. I think it's still worth it.

I tolerate all and welcome all, and I can also deal if I get smacked down every once in a while.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Jeff Evans

Profile:

The fact that you have made this is awesome. This is one of the few web boards I've seen that doesn't have many (any?) stickies and really needs them. Now, we just need to add a little section for the whole calories in/calories out, carbs/fat make you fat vs. don't, GCBC, etc. debates, which includes the views of both "sides" along with relevant links and references. Then we can just link to it any time the topic starts to come up on the nutrition boards instead of debating it yet again ad nauseum in every third thread.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by Jeff Evans : 08-11-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:29 AM   #15
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
The fact that you have made this is awesome. This is one of the few web boards I've seen that doesn't have many (any?) stickies and really needs them. Now, we just need to add a little section for the whole calories in/calories out, carbs/fat make you fat vs. don't, GCBC, etc. debates, which includes the views of both "sides" along with relevant links and references. Then we can just link to it any time the topic starts to come up on the nutrition boards instead of debating it yet again ad nauseum in every third thread.

Keep up the good work!
Heh... I'm not sure that there will ever be universal agreement on these boards when it comes to nutrition.

On the topic of getting a sticky... I'm not sure how it works, but I've submitted a request to a couple of mods and put it in the Technical Support forum, but if you feel that this should be a sticky, please do the same.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #16
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Tom,
Maybe we should delete the FAQ then based on your theory?

"Sticky's" not only serve to help us "Gods of Fitness" from having to answer the same questions over and over, but also help to serve the newbs. They can get more information faster by reading the sticky then they can be asking individual questions with new threads. They may also learn stuff they didn't even think to ask by reading a sticky, or FAQ.

And I could not agree more with the theory "teach a man to fish."
Old 08-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
Jeff Evans

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Heh... I'm not sure that there will ever be universal agreement on these boards when it comes to nutrition.
There doesn't really need to be any agreement, just an overview that presents all sides of the issue with arguments supplied by each "camp", similar to how Wikipedia (w/fs) articles work. It would go a long way toward reducing the same rehashed debates that play out on a regular basis with no new or interesting information entering the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
On the topic of getting a sticky... I'm not sure how it works, but I've submitted a request to a couple of mods and put it in the Technical Support forum, but if you feel that this should be a sticky, please do the same.
Done.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #18
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Evans View Post
There doesn't really need to be any agreement, just an overview that presents all sides of the issue with arguments supplied by each "camp", similar to how Wikipedia (w/fs) articles work. It would go a long way toward reducing the same rehashed debates that play out on a regular basis with no new or interesting information entering the mix.
Hmm... I like the idea of this. Methinks we need some of the more vocal people from each "camp" to collaborate.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #19
Jeff Evans

Profile:

By the way, the Google search suggestion is a good one. Let's expand it with some examples. All links below are example searches on Google.com and are w/fs.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #20
Jeff Evans

Profile:

While we're at it, you can use Google to do unit conversions (with the keyword "in") - useful when weighing/measuring food or masses of iron. All links below are example searches on Google.com and are w/fs.