CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-21-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Hello folks,

I'm having a lingering pain that I'm curious about. It's somewhere near the top of the butt/low-back area. It started after a kickball game, which is somewhat embarrassing. In thinking what is unusual about that event it would have to be the sprinting from base-to-base, in particular the sudden stopping. I'm not sure why this would do it, but it did.

It probably doesn't help that I do lots of KB and DL work and it hasn't had a good opportunity to heal...but I was hoping it would go away by itself...but it has been over a month now and I still feel it periodically. Any ideas on either what it could be and/or what to do about it?

Thanks...

Howard
Old 10-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Try using a foam roller after workouts to help massage and stretch it. If it's more to the side glut, then it could be the piriformis which is very common for people to injure due to it's tightness. Again foam roller and stretching will help. Take fish oil and follow an anti-inflamatory diet. Ice it if it really bothers you. Just be smart and give it time to heal, dont overdue it.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Thanks Mike,

I would say it is cleary in the rear right near the top of the butt, not to the side. What stretch(es) would be best? It's more of a low-sensation, not very acute at all so I've never felt the need for ice. I didn't know fish helped in this instance, interesting. And I was just at Costco, dang it, and they had tons.

Howard
Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #4
Joe Luckett

Profile:

Try stretching the hip flexors, you may have twinged something kicking the ball. If they tighten up, they can kind of pull everything around your hips out of balance. Also, all kinds of groin stretches can help. Glute stretches, like lying on your back and pulling your knee to your chest. Experiment to find the right angle to stretch what ails you. Finally, instead of a foam roller, just get a tennis ball and lie on it so it hits the spot. Again, you have to experiment. It will probably hurt like the dickens but is effective.

Sit up straight with your feet on the floor, don't slouch, and don't carry your wallet in your hip pocket. If you routinely carry a briefcase or backpack, periodically switch hands/sides.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
I'm just a newbie, and not certified or anything, but I have found a couple of things that help me with that:

Illitobial band stretching. Maybe because I just have issues with my IB's anyway, but that seems to help, especially after a KB session.
After the initial "OMG IT HURTS" goes away, the next rest day I'll do joint mobility and nothing else.
Something new I've found is (after I've cooled down first) getting in a hot tub for a couple of minutes and then getting in a pool for a couple of minutes. I work out at the local Y, and they're only about ten feet apart.

Rest, nutrition and proper stretching (as in, not going to far) seem to help the most.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
It could be that your SI joint is out of place, and if that is the case nothing you do is going to make it go away until it is reduced. If nothing else helps I would suggest finding a good PT and getting it checked out.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Can you tell me what the SI joint is?

Thanks...

howard
Old 10-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #8
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacroiliac_joint