CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
I am 34 and fell I have found an edge in life. I have been speed walking 4 miles per day for the last month and have changed my eating lifestyle to a very healthy one and have lost 18lbs, I am 5-8 1/2 inches tall and weigh 181-LBS I am a male. I found out about Crossfit in the Men’s Journal Magazine and so last night I decided it was time to give it a try so I spent 15 minutes stretching and warming up I then did 3 sets of "50 jump ropes" "10 Dumbbell Thrusters" "15 crunches" rotating after each set. As soon as I was finished with this I ran out the back door to do some chin-ups but I could not do one so I pushed of the swing seats and then lowered myself slowly for 3 sets of three. I felt like I was going to die I could not believe how hard this was and wanted to stop so bad, I have asthma and my lungs became a little cluttered and my lugs felt like they were burning deep down inside so halfway through the ordeal I decided to take 1 minute breaks in between sets yet still was gasping for air from having my heart beating out of my chest. Today my legs feel very fatigued, I thought my shoulder would be sore from the 25LB Dumbbell thrusters but there not sore at all and I know my form was perfect by watching the videos over and over and practicing this without any weights. Well anyways I am sick and tired of all the obstacles and excuses I create for everything in my life and I am not going to take it anymore so I am mentally preparing myself for the next routine. I am very pleased that I have found Crossfit. If there is anything different that you would have done in the routine listed above please let me know.

Hello to all and Thank you for reading my post.

Jamey P

Old 03-22-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Jamey,
Welcome to CrossFit. Sounds like you got it right. Take it slow at the start and ask questions. It will benefit you in the long run. If you need help scaling the workouts to your ability we post scaled WOD's here. http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16
I have struggled with asthma all my life. I'm finding that as I progress in Crossfit the severity and frequency of the attacks is lessening. Good to have you on board.
Jeff

(Message edited by jeff_m on March 22, 2006)
Old 03-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Joseph McCaffrey

Profile:
Jamey,

The gasping for breath and heart beating out of your chest does indeed sound about right for the crossfit experience. What I haven't quite figured out for myself is why, as soon as you realize you probably are going to survive, it really feels so good, and you simultaneously look forward to and dread the next work out.

I'm new to crossfit myself - I started with a few months of poking around the site and trying some very low key versions of the workouts, and then gradually uping the ante. The Men's Journal workout is a reasonable intro, and as you get experience and read more threads on the message board, you'll get an idea of how to modify things to where you are.

Jeff's site is great. Definitely check it out for scaled down versions of the WOD. And for that matter, make a point of checking out Jeff's posts - he has great insights.

Somewhere on the message board, I read the advice about thinking of crossfit as "a slow ramp to a distant horizon" (my apologies to the author of that quote for not remembering who to attribute it to). I've found that to be a very useful mindset. The ability to every WOD as posted is a long term goal. But as you follow the workout style at your level, you will definitely see steady improvement, and each improvement will encourage you to reach for the next little bit. Do the workouts and it will come.

I look forward to hearing of your progress, and I'll let you know about mine.

Joe
Old 03-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Jamey Pittman

Profile:
Thank YOU for your welcomes I am very exited here.

I am using the Crossfit workout plan from the Men's Journal and today is my third and day 3 workout. Todays workout is "Ten rounds for time, in reps of 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2 and 1 of Body-Weight Dead Lifts and 3/4 Body Weight Bench Press. The problem is the last two days of the program have torn my legs all to heck and now every muscle in my legs hurt when I walk, I think it might be a good ideal if I drop the dead lifts and add something, do any of you think it would be ok to just stick with the Bench presses, pull-ups and Set-ups following the same rules? One more question that I can think of for now is, were is a good place to purchase those Medicine Balls and Olympic rings you see in the Crossfit videos and does anyone have the dimensions or plan to make that 20 inch jump box?

Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 AM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:
Scan the Equipment Forum and it's archives. Lots of good info there.

Rest your legs.

Welcome!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #6
Dan Snyder

Profile:
When starting the 3 on 1 off schedule can be pretty taxing. Pay attention to your fatigue level and either work something that is not sore (pullups + bench would be good) or skip the workout. Overuse injuries will set you back WAAY further than an unschdeuled day off. And use your days off for skills practice, to increase flexibility/joint mobility, and other forms of active recovery. Your body will ultimately thank and reward you.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #7
Jason Billows

Profile:
Welcome Jamey.

Congrats on getting started. Now that you're in motion keep it up and you'll find yourself gaining momentum in your progress.

One thing that was great to read was that you practiced the thruster movements without weight quite a bit. Keep that up. When you work at CF intensities you really need to follow proper form and technique or you'll be more susceptible to injury.

As for your legs hurting.... welcome to Crossfit :-). The workouts are very random and you'll find that just because you blasted a muscle group with a workout one day doesn't mean that coach won't throw another workout with those muscle groups the next day. In the long run it all helps prepare your body for the unexpected. Just be sure to warm up and you'll find that by the time you start the WOD your muscles will be ready to go. Not necessarily full of max strength/endurance, but not necessarily painful. That being said, if you're finding yourself too sore, try a 2 on 1 off schedule until you become more accostomed to CF. I myself just pushed through it and within a few weeks the 3 on 1 off cycle was working just fine.

Good luck.